Learn to crochet? (2 Viewers)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
@movan if you don't like it when it is done am sure @Anthea M will be happy to take it off your hands.
Love the premmie cardis, got loads of spare wool, but must finish John's jumper first. Haven't found the rest of the wool yet though.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well .. going to bore you all silly ... think I picked a size too big for me but never mind!

Just finished first rib .. :) Not as good as some of yours but I am chuffed.

20190221_174149.jpg

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
That is a lovely pattern Anne @davanne. When is the little one due? I'm sure you've already told us. I love making the baby clothes but I've now been persuaded that a local care home needs bedsocks so double knit and pretty ribbon and off we go.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
That is a lovely pattern Anne @davanne. When is the little one due? I'm sure you've already told us. I love making the baby clothes but I've now been persuaded that a local care home needs bedsocks so double knit and pretty ribbon and off we go.
Baby is due in May Pam I’m going to have a try at knitting @Jenben ’s pattern for a baby cardigan next but I haven’t done any knitting for ages so may be a bit rusty.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
not a good photo but this is the back of john's jumper, just got a few rows left to do, couldn't manage that and watch masterchef at the same time oops must be my age
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Did you find the rest of the wool Sue?
Not yet but have a good idea of where it is, just a faff to get to it. will have a good root round when John is at golf cos I might have to move some of his stuff and he gets a bit precious when his junk very important stuff is relocated.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Help .. the more I am knitting ... basic Stocking Stitch .. my edges are horrific. I have tried slipping the first stitch of every row but it is still 'loopy'... :(

Any tips please?

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Help .. the more I am knitting ... basic Stocking Stitch .. my edges are horrific. I have tried slipping the first stitch of every row but it is still 'loopy'... :(

Any tips please?
Sorry can’t help Joy my knitting skills aren’t very good

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Your fine....I still bounce off of things, just not for the same reason, now it's because of MS......but on the other hand the vertigo could have been a symptom, i'll never know that. ;)

My daughter has MS, she had two attacks of vertigo last year that lasted for a week or so. Once after she had a 24hr stomach bug and again later in the year after she had been out in the sun all day and had a mild case of sunstroke despite wearing a hat & covering up. She can no longer cope with extremes of temperature. I was not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

Sorry re late reply, put my back out and could not sit & type or anything much.

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Have made a pledge not to start anything new until I have finished incomplete items, have a big bag of them, not sure how long that will last :( Have managed to finish a rug today, it is made from old duvet covers, I have made several that I use as bathmats, for the kitchen and this one is my new bedside rug.
rug.JPG rugcu.JPG

Tomorrow going to sew up one cardi I have finished and knit the last front band on another, I love the knitting but hate the sewing up. Thought if I told you I was going to get on an do them I would have to do them :unsure:

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Well .. going to bore you all silly ... think I picked a size too big for me but never mind!

Just finished first rib .. :) Not as good as some of yours but I am chuffed.

View attachment 285173
Did you find the size circular needle you need? What size is it?

Any tips please?
Slip the first stitch and knit the last in every row. That usually works for me. Apart from that I don’t know sorry.

I joined a yarn bombing group today. We’re making stuffed dories for fish week in June. They’re for a treasure hunt for the kids to look for in shop windows. I made one this evening but it’s turned out much smaller than the example the lady brought to show us. I think my tension is too tight as I’m used to crocheting the octopuses. I’ve unpicked it and will try again tomorrow, think I’ll have to modify the pattern.
We also have to do a swatch of crocodile stitch in any colour to be attached to a huge fish, to resemble scales.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
No I can't cope when it's really hot, it wipes me out.
Me too Hazel I like warm weather but if it gets too hot I’m fit for nothing.
@BOD46 after reading what you said about your daughter it got me thinking about my dizzy spells and I think there is a pattern in so much as they seem to happen after I’m stressed or have an infection l

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you for the end of line advice m :)

No .. nobody sold one but I 'phoned a friend' who does internet and hopefully they ordered it last night .. but they havn't told me yet.

Hoping I have enough wool to be honest .. nearly used 2 balls already.

It isn't perfect but ..apart from the edges.. am happy enough. :)
20190222_102442.jpg

Isn't this a great thread. . :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I told you I would bore you silly. About to try and sort mh ... getting no work done with this knitting lark. :)

I have found the only way I can remember where I am up to in shaping is to have my own little notes everywhere ..see pics .. plus I have somewhere lost a stitch and can't find where :( . Discovered it when splitting wool onto stitch holder for neck. So I have added an extra stitch on the stitch holder where it will be under the arm .. do you think this will work or stand out like a sore thumb? :(

20190222_121144.jpg
20190222_121440.jpg
20190222_122430.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Did you find the size circular needle you need? What size is it?

Slip the first stitch and knit the last in every row. That usually works for me. Apart from that I don’t know sorry.

I joined a yarn bombing group today. We’re making stuffed dories for fish week in June. They’re for a treasure hunt for the kids to look for in shop windows. I made one this evening but it’s turned out much smaller than the example the lady brought to show us. I think my tension is too tight as I’m used to crocheting the octopuses. I’ve unpicked it and will try again tomorrow, think I’ll have to modify the pattern.
We also have to do a swatch of crocodile stitch in any colour to be attached to a huge fish, to resemble scales.

Wow. Please send us a photo of the fish progression.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
@movan adding the stitch should be ok provided you have not dropped it, but didn't look like it in the photo. You have progressed making me feel guilty ;)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Just so you don't feel out of it Joy @movan
Reminder do not watch a crime drama while knitting, they lost a body I lost a stitch, however could see where i had gone wrong and had to rip it back now back to where i was 10 rows and back is finished. I hate doing ribs, might do them all before starting the pattern proper.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Really really disappointed in myself ... Finished the front but the edges of the sides and the neck edges are horrible ..

The slipping first stitch seems to work but I don't look even normal where the last stitch of every row is a knit (even the purl rows) .

Can anybody give any suggestioms please ...

I promise not to knit whilst watching Vera @scotzsue ,)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you for the end of line advice m :)

No .. nobody sold one but I 'phoned a friend' who does internet and hopefully they ordered it last night .. but they havn't told me yet.

Hoping I have enough wool to be honest .. nearly used 2 balls already.

It isn't perfect but ..apart from the edges.. am happy enough. :)
View attachment 285306

Isn't this a great thread. . :)
I love that knitting Joy!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
@movan Joy it looks good in the photo stop fretting. Next time i see you i will bring an old book i have the finished articles in it are mostly awful.
Update for me have finished the back, found the rest of the wool and cast on and done a few rows of rib for the front. Can't knit nearly as fast as i used to though.

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
I told you I would bore you silly. About to try and sort mh ... getting no work done with this knitting lark. :)

I have found the only way I can remember where I am up to in shaping is to have my own little notes everywhere ..see pics .. plus I have somewhere lost a stitch and can't find where :( . Discovered it when splitting wool onto stitch holder for neck. So I have added an extra stitch on the stitch holder where it will be under the arm .. do you think this will work or stand out like a sore thumb? :(

View attachment 285320 View attachment 285321 View attachment 285322

I have the same problem I have to write out a pattern line by line to cross off as I do it unless it is straight knitting without increases think it is possibly due to my number dyslexia . This is from the cardi that I am finishing off ATM
patt.JPG

O was the RH sleeve, X the left.

Um - you thinking you are running out of yarn - I hate to ask, I may of missed you mentioning it but did you knit a tension square?

Few years ago after a long break from knitting, I knitted the back of my sweater and looking at how much yarn I had left, thought it looked like I would only have enough left for one sleeve after doing the front. Checked my tension and found I needed to use needles 2 sizes smaller than the ones stated in the pattern as I am a loose knitter. If I had continued without starting again I could have fitted my daughter in it as well in me, it was so wide.

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Really really disappointed in myself ... Finished the front but the edges of the sides and the neck edges are horrible ..

The slipping first stitch seems to work but I don't look even normal where the last stitch of every row is a knit (even the purl rows) .

You are doing really well :clap2: stop beating yourself up over what is normal. My necklines and often sides look like an drunken spider has knitted it but when it is stitched together it WILL be beautiful and you will look at the neckline and see what a wonderful job you have made of it.
I find that when sewing up I can hide any mistakes I have made, not that it looks like you have made any :hugs:

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Wow. Please send us a photo of the fish progression.
Been out this evening and out again tomorrow pm so it’ll be Sunday p,m.
I don’t knit or crochet during the day, too many other things to do!

Maybe Knit into the back of the last stitch?
The work so far looks great though.
As @scotzsue says the missing /replaced stitch won’t show unless it’s been dropped.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back