Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wonderful Anne !
You are all so talented!!!
Loving the thread even if I can’t do it!!!

Yes you can :) I will teach you when we meet up even if it takes hours (no tears allowed but you can hit the gin when you need to). lol

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes you can :) I will teach you when we meet up even if it takes hours (no tears allowed but you can hit the gin when you need to). lol
Oh yes I’ll have loads of helpers but my brain doesn’t do what my fingers want it to do!!!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
The pattern for this was a nightmare to follow and contained mistakes. I definitely would NOT recommend the Aldi crochet kits. It’s a good job I like puzzles and was prepared to improvise and get this result :)

View attachment 237397 View attachment 237398
I agree about the Aldi kits I bought the teacosy knitting kit a few years ago and had to adapt it as the pattern was not right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Crikey I am jealous of all your crocheting skills I have just never been able to get the hang of it.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Dear Kate @Ambilkate Thank you for those very kind words. It's certainly been great for me too and I was greatly encouraged by the way everyone took it up (even Old-Mo and Jim with their own particular brand of croquet hooks :LOL:
I was feeling very sorry for myself because I had landed up in hospital again, especially after everything that happened in 2017 and then after that. being so uncertain what was wrong with me. It was nice to feel I could be creative and the response was terrific. We were on the front page for weeks and even got a mention in Jim's weekly news round-up. The thread inspired by just a comment that I wished I could pop home for my crochet hooks because my fingers were so sore with the pin pricks.

My thanks go to @The Happy Hooker, @Puddleduck, @Janine @Hils and Glenns @davanne @Ven @movan @Carol and all the others who have taken this and run with it.

I am so glad you found it therapeutic Kate and wish you well for the future.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Anne @davanne Your throw is lovely - you must be very pleased with it. All your own design and quite unique. What do you fancy doing next?

I am back with my tapestry wool throw as I'm giving children's jumpers and cardigans a rest while I work on Emma's dress.. So far it's going well and where I can I'm putting in little couture touches which I learned way back in 1994. I went on a few Terry Fox couture classes for wedding and evening dresses. If I'd turned it into a profession I'd be wealthy by now:LOL:

Hope you'll soon be feeling well again.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Anne @davanne Your throw is lovely - you must be very pleased with it. All your own design and quite unique. What do you fancy doing next?

I am back with my tapestry wool throw as I'm giving children's jumpers and cardigans a rest while I work on Emma's dress.. So far it's going well and where I can I'm putting in little couture touches which I learned way back in 1994. I went on a few Terry Fox couture classes for wedding and evening dresses. If I'd turned it into a profession I'd be wealthy by now:LOL:

Hope you'll soon be feeling well again.
Thanks Pamela yes I am really pleased with it thanks to @Janine ’s flower pattern and @Mrsambulancekidd ’s help in deciding how to attach the flowers together.....I’m not sure what to try next need to give it some thought

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Help.... hope it's ok to ask re knitting.

I can now remember how to cast on.

But it is MANY MANY years since I knitted.

I seem to recall a couple of things used to improve the garment but can't remember WHAT they were. :(

Was it ...... When you do your first row of knitting to make the edge of the garment smooth ... ???????? Do what?

Was it ..... at the end/or was it beginning of a row - slip a stitch rather than knit it? I can't remember but sure I did something like this that different.. :(

Sorry to be a pain... PLEASE can someone help?

Any other hints or tips much appreciated ... thank you. Xxx

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@movan I was told to either slip the first stitch in each row alternatively to purl the first stitch in a knit row and likewise to knit the first stitch in a purl row. I always used to slip the first stitch as it made it easier to sew up later.

@snailtrailer I hope you are starting to recover and that the medics did find a diagnosis and one with a cure. Nothing worse than knowing there is something wrong but the tests all come back normal and you feel like **** and know there is something.

Also as I was packing my crochet bag for the weekend I had a go at the Bavarian thing with some oddments. I don't think I have it quite right yet but will have another go when I get time.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Puddleduck Helen when I cast on do I always do a row of plain knit before starting 'rib' ? Or does that not apply? I am going off memory and my memory is VERY confused.

Thank you.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I have in excess of my thousand now - thank you all so very much.

Who else needs poppies or flowers so I can make and send them on.

@Ambilkate I am experimenting with 3D flowers a bit like Irish Crochet if Amanda would like those (I would probably rip them out again so it would be nice to see them put on hair bands or something) - I can post any I make on.
Amanda would love them Helen old mo & Judy are at Dumfries it would be lovely if you could send aafew back for her you could send a few back with them for Amanda x it would save you posting them

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@movan Joy What are you knitting? I usually start each row with a slip stitch but some pattern writers have other ideas and might suggest you knit the first stitch on every row. Whatever you choose be consistent.:)

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@movan When I first started knitting I used to knit the first row after cast on in the back of the stitch but this can make rather a hard edge. Now when I cast on I put the needle between the stitches rather than through the stitch and can then start knitting rib straight away. Hope that doesn't get you more confused.

PS When you've graduated from that I'll show you the thumb method of casting on :eek: just joking :LOL:

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@Puddleduck Helen? I must have posted on another thread but it appears I have vestibular dysfunction on the left side which means that the brain receives messages from the muscles and eyes when I move but that part of the ear is still trying to catch up. Worse if I'm doing more than just moving my head. There is no cure or medication, all they can hope to do is 'persuade' the brain to take notice of the right side and they do this with exercises. I have six exercises to do twice a day and see the Audiologist in four weeks' time. So it's not vertigo or Meniere's disease or any of the many other symptoms of dizziness - it's balance problems. So far the exercises seem to be a waste of time but I will persevere. Thanks for asking. That also explains why I get so tired because the brain is trying to sort out my movements.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@movan When I first started knitting I used to knit the first row after cast on in the back of the stitch but this can make rather a hard edge. Now when I cast on I put the needle between the stitches rather than through the stitch and can then start knitting rib straight away. Hope that doesn't get you more confused.

PS When you've graduated from that I'll show you the thumb method of casting on :eek: just joking :LOL:

Hi Pam .. trying to understand .... soooo

Do you mean, you FIRST push the needle BEHIND the stitch, wind the wool around, pull it through, .... and THEN pull the needle through the back of the original stitch, pull the wool through ...... oh .. damn .. I ve got myself confused ..:confused: I will have a go tonight and come back if that ok please. I WANT to understand .. thank you. Xx

@SueTayBon

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Oh Joy - if only I could fly I'd be there in a minute.

Do just what you're doing for casting on but this variation gives a good edge.

Start with good old slip stitch on left needle, insert right needle to the left of slip stitch. Wrap wool round right needle and pull needle forward. Transfer this loop to left needle. You now have two stitches on the left needle.

Repeat - insert right needle to the left of the stitch you've just made, that is between the stitches. Good Luck with the practice but don't get tired.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
20180615_180347.jpg

:) xx

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:) yes it's for Eden .. it's what I call a ballerina cardigan ... it wraps around at the waist.

I'm struggling a bit ... but learning..:) Have just decreased ready for the sleeves ... won't be long and the back will be finished... yeah hey.

Thank you everybody... xxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back