LDV Convoy build

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Craigderby, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    If you are able to lift the fridge higher and raise the worktop above it, or put a cupboard above, it will make getting stuff in/out of the fridge much easier and allow for the wheel arch underneath. With regard to the toilet compartment, depending on what toilet you have you may need to bring the toilet forward or put it on a plinth to again avoid the wheel arch.

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,745
    If you can let me have some internal measurements I'll have a go at doing more accurate drawings for you, as well as the measurements of any equipment/fittings you already have and want to use.

3. bigguspeckus

bigguspeckus

Ratings:
    +594
    WOW! That solar panel looks a whopper, how many watts is it? Love the paint job, brill colour. I had a LDV Pilot for 13 years; (Vanessa) was my "lug all" during my self employed period, I changed her oil & filters etc every year and she never broke down on me or failed to start, even on the coldest of days. I'm retired now but Vanessa drives on,,, I gave her to my son in law.
    All the best with the refit and thanks for sharing it with us.(y)

4. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Ratings:
    +996
    Our van is that layout but on a Fiat. Currently in Spain on a 8 week tour and the layout has worked well for us. My wife has a back injury and sometimes needs to rest during the day (siesta?) or lie in. Whereas me and the dog have the rest of the van available etc. The wardrobe over the bed is huge and ideal for touring.

5. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Ratings:
    +996
    Couple of practical points albeit on a Fiat so ldv will be different. The toilet and the wheel arch: to avoid a huge plinth our cassette exits internally so you need room to do it in the corridor no problem on a Fiat.
    Although we have solved the draughty back doors with an insulated flap sheeting over the top half may have been better as it would give a tidier arrangement for storing items against such as hook up wire, awning pole etc.

6. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Ratings:
    +996
    On Minxy Girls layout the bed could be claustrophobic, ours is the other way round with the feet under the wardrobe and the wardrobe next to the bathroom. This means the near side of the van is more open with only top cupboards running the length of it

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Craigderby

Craigderby Funster

Ratings:
    +138
    Thanks for all the input everyone I really appreciate it.
    On the toilet front I'm thinking of putting it against the side of the van above the wheelarch with a step in front. It would then be emptied from underneath the rear bed.
    The rear bed doesn't need to be too big as it's only for our daughter and there's not that much of her. It will also have a solid back towards the rear doors. All the rear doors will access will be the underbed space, and will just be for storage. Chairs and that sort of stuff.
    I'm still a bit undecided on the fridge. I do have a 3 way which can go in, but the van will more for weekends than long trips, so I'm tempted to save a bit of space and just have a coolbox.
    @bigguspeckus. The panel is 100 watts. The angle of the pic might make it look bigger than it is, off the top of my head it's about 110cms.
    @Minxy Girl I'll have a proper measure up next week and post some dimensions, but don't feel under any obligation to do anything with them.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Craigderby

Craigderby Funster

Ratings:
    +138
    Did a little bit more in my lunch break today , it's so handy having the van at work, just had the time to mask up and paint the bottom edge black.

[​IMG]

Next job the wheels, and do something with the bumpers. I'm going to try the old hot airgun trick on the bumpers, but if that doesn't work I'll probably get some plastic dye.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like it Like it x 1
  9. Craigderby

Craigderby Funster

Ratings:
    +138
    Not very exciting, but lunchtime today was dedicated to painting wheels.
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,262
    What's the hot air trick on the bumpers?

The front bumper on my 1999 Ducato was black plastic but it's almost bleached itself white since then! I tried that spray on stuff from Halfrauds, waste of money that was!

Any tips??

11. Craigderby

Craigderby Funster

Ratings:
    +138
    Much easier with a hot air gun
    Here's a demo

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like it Like it x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,262
    Whoa! That's amazing! Can't believe I've never heard of this before. My bumper is the exact same colour as that faded white one in the video too, thanks very much :D

I've just noticed too, the reg plate on your motor nearly says "BUS 4 FUN" (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  13. Craigderby

Craigderby Funster

Ratings:
    +138
    I'd not noticed that! lol

14. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Ratings:
    +7,654
    Wax based back shoe polish makes a great job, lasts around 4 months.

The heatgun method can turn out patchy and botched looking. @FJmike knows the secret..........will he tell you???

15. FJmike

FJmike

Ratings:
    +1,522
    Please don't use a heat gun on your bumpers, initially they will look really good but after a while they will look worse than when you started and you won't be able to revive it. I use a trade only product that lasts better than most treatments

16. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ratings:
    +30,374
    Ralph's very envious of your fantastic warm work space !
    He had to convert our Pug outside in the back garden , under a big sheet of visqueen when it rained. It's looking great.
    Keep posting the pics.

17. Craigderby

Craigderby Funster

Ratings:
    +138
    If I had to do it outside I probably wouldn't of even started yet :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ratings:
    +30,374
    Ralph would have waited till the summer to do ours ideally.
    But we wanted to be out and about again ASAP , as we sold our Motorhome sooner than expected.
    So he started in January and finished September . Working every weekend and most evenings after work.
    But we did go to a few rallies unfinished, with a portapotti , big canisters of water, and a camping gas stove !
    It reminded us of our tenting days !

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +6,697
    Autoglyne do a good bumper polish,,

20. FJmike

FJmike

Ratings:
    +1,522
    Autoglym sell a bumper and trim GEL it's not a polish, personally I don't like it a it's rather messy and doesn't last very long. If you are unfortunate to have a bumper that has been hot air gun treated about the only solution is Wurth bumper paint, available in black or grey.