Late Ducato 2.8 JTD (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Hi, any advice as to what to look out for on say a 2003 to 2006 van with say under 40,000 on the clock. I have a max budget of 25K and am having a long hard look for the right van, I had two vans on the 2.8. and loved em, I just wonder how those late base vehicles have aged and what typically gets knackered on them.

Its the build quality of that era I am after and am looking to replace my last 2005 Autotrail Cheyene, fantastic van.

Cheers

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Not sure such a low mileage is a good thing, must have been standing a long time.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Make sure timing belt is changed and pulleys .I have a 2004 2.8 Not had any problems with it.I did find that the top of the wheel arches didn't have a lot of protection .I put extra underseal on mine when New.Not had any problems with rust .I think there's plenty of good ones out there. Just look out for abused ones.In my opinion if the habitation side of the van is good then usually they have looked after the mechanics too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, any advice as to what to look out for on say a 2003 to 2006 van with say under 40,000 on the clock. I have a max budget of 25K and am having a long hard look for the right van, I had two vans on the 2.8. and loved em, I just wonder how those late base vehicles have aged and what typically gets knackered on them.

Its the build quality of that era I am after and am looking to replace my last 2005 Autotrail Cheyene, fantastic van.

Cheers

I agree with your thoughts about the 2.8jtd and the build quality of that era.

We have a N&B Arto 69GL(2003) and it is out first MH(bought 2009 for £27,500) so I do not know much about other builds. The quality of ours is still showing little sign of deterioration - few plastic bits, one tap micro-switch and one garage hinge is all I have had to replace on the hab side.

An identical Arto(2004) just sold privately for exactly £25K - buyer told me what he paid. So I reckon ours would be about the same, but not selling, so your budget would find something like that privately. I cannot remember the mileage on that one but it was somewhere around the same as ours at 50,000 miles.

I think the low mileage comment might only apply if the MH has done high mileage in a short time and then sat for months. Ours has been steady over the lifetime(which can be checked from MOT records). The reason is we move most days but do not go far each day.

Obviously you know the 2.8jtd, so know about cam belt, tensioner and water-pump. Other than that i have only spent money on consumables, and an oil pressure transmitter - in 10 years.

I think you will find good quality and that engine within your budget. Good Luck.

Geoff

[P.S. Of course if you did find a N&B of that era they would be one of the few makes then that were using double-aluminium sandwich as the structure, without any timber, so damp is almost impossible, plus the 2.8jtd - as my first MH I have since realised how lucky I was]

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Just sold our 2003 2.8jtd. Advisories were that rear discs were rusty but not dangerous and exhaust was rusty but not leaking, but we replaced them anyway. Cills were also replaced on each side but apart from that it was pretty solid.

So i am assuming if you concentrate on the usual suspects, tyres, brakes and exhaust and check for rust on cills and underneath then youre almost there.

Other rhan checking the habitation side of course for damp, gas leaks etc

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Sumps and front crossmember go very rusty, need checking.
We had a 2004 hymer , regret selling it.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Common rust areas are:
Front radiator support crossmember
Osf chassis leg where the rad crossmember mounts
Front inner wheel arches near the brake pipe to hose mountings
Top of inner front wheel arches
Osf flitch to strut top mounting box (under/behind battery)
Rear of front wheel arches/front of doorstep
Front jacking points and outriggers
Underneath both front doorsteps
Chassis sections at rear of front subframe mountings
Chassis crossmember to the rear of the chassis can rust at their ends.

D.

OP
OP
S
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Cheers for that Dave. I am looking at a 2003/4 next week that has taken my eye. I have had the garage that do all this dealers vehicles (so not an in house mechanic) run his eye over it and he says everything looks to be in surprisingly good condition corrosion wise but has suggested it would be a good idea to apply a new underseal, which I agree with. Sounds like a genuine nice guy with no nonsense honesty who knows his stuff.

It's done about 1000/1500 miles per year for the last 7/8 years so very low mileage in that period and has done 34000 overall. It is a one owner from new mint looking cracker from the pictures. I have asked for a quote for a full service, cambelt change and fix anything that is on the way out that they spot

Fingers crossed it is as good as it looks upon inspection and I shall be the new owner of what looks to be a well loved and looked after van of a great vintage.

Anyone recommend a decent cheapish damp meter?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Common rust areas are:
Front radiator support crossmember
Osf chassis leg where the rad crossmember mounts
Front inner wheel arches near the brake pipe to hose mountings
Top of inner front wheel arches
Osf flitch to strut top mounting box (under/behind battery)
Rear of front wheel arches/front of doorstep
Front jacking points and outriggers
Underneath both front doorsteps
Chassis sections at rear of front subframe mountings
Chassis crossmember to the rear of the chassis can rust at their ends.

D.

Dave

Useful, based on your knowledge.

I think I can sort out which apply only to 'A' Class and not to original cabs, but I am not sure.

So could you please confirm which apply only to 'A' Class please.

Geoff

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Dave

Useful, based on your knowledge.

I think I can sort out which apply only to 'A' Class and not to original cabs, but I am not sure.

So could you please confirm which apply only to 'A' Class please.

Geoff

They all apply to both std cab and a class alike.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back