Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
sold
Exp
Absolute NEWBIE
After having to cancel 2 bookings and lost deposits I thought we`d leave it to day before this time. Tried 5 sites for this weekend and all fully booked. --In mid september !! . Very early in our MH ownership and never knew it was quite so popular. Going to have to review our strategy

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
I'm trying to book Rivendale near Ashbourne for Monday to Friday next week but can't get through by phone...

We've struggled to reach them in the past when we had the caravan so i'll keep trying

Failing that it might be The Plassey instead

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That’s the problem with owning a motorhome to use in the UK. You can’t be spontaneous.
On the rare occasions we use campsites in the UK, we are always asked what time do we expect to arrive.
I can understand this on a large site that has a reception block, why do they want to know at a CL?
Are they going to book a band and a welcome committee for our arrival?

OP
OP
T

tommac

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
sold
Exp
Absolute NEWBIE
Have a look for the area you want to go to on Park4Night or CamperContact as it normally throws up somewhere you can stay.

thanks , both useful but not ready yet--wife is recovering from a stroke and feels safer on sites for now.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Maybe the weather forecast this weekend has something to do with it

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Always phone them, because they save pitches for passing traffic.
We had the same at York, web said full, but I remembered our friend who worked for the caravan club for years telling me, phoned yes got a pitch for 2 nights and could of had longer, when we was there a German and Dutch couple just arrived and they let them in. :cooler: Bob.

OP
OP
T

tommac

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
sold
Exp
Absolute NEWBIE
worth a try -thanks

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
That’s the problem with owning a motorhome to use in the UK. You can’t be spontaneous.
On the rare occasions we use campsites in the UK, we are always asked what time do we expect to arrive.
I can understand this on a large site that has a reception block, why do they want to know at a CL?
Are they going to book a band and a welcome committee for our arrival?

No but I expect that the owners have a life and don’t want to have to stay home all day waiting for you to arrive (or not)!

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
Depends what area you want to go to. We just booked this place for tomorrow night, as the weather seems like it's going to be lovely.

Great area with lots to see, but the nearest pub is 1 mile.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Depends what area you want to go to. We just booked this place for tomorrow night, as the weather seems like it's going to be lovely.

Great area with lots to see, but the nearest pub is 1 mile.
which place?

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
which place?
There was a link in my message, but Mains Farm in Kirkoswald (close to the lake district):

Tripadvisor (great reviews):

Campsite:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
You live in God's country now.
Just head over to the west and wild camp.
Maybe stay Oban at Roseview which is near Tesco.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Nothing unusual not being able to find somewhere. Trouble is the pitches are booked upto a year in advance. God knows why as no one can really tell what they will be doing in 12 months. So everything is booked and then at the last minute if the weather is rubbish the people who booked a year ago start cancelling. It has improved because they have stopped them booking 4 or 5 sites on the same day. CL sites are easier but it can be hassle trying to get in some of the popular ones.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Nothing unusual not being able to find somewhere. Trouble is the pitches are booked upto a year in advance. God knows why as no one can really tell what they will be doing in 12 months. So everything is booked and then at the last minute if the weather is rubbish the people who booked a year ago start cancelling. It has improved because they have stopped them booking 4 or 5 sites on the same day. CL sites are easier but it can be hassle trying to get in some of the popular ones.

We generally don't use sites but when we are back in the UK we stay at a little CL which is between both sets of parents. We've stayed here the past five years. Speaking with the owner he's started asking for a deposit of the first night as he's starting to get more no shows. It works well for us here location wise but it's getting more costly, £10 a night when we first stayed but now £14. Bit of a kick in the teeth after only spending just €20 through Europe over the last four months.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm trying to book Rivendale near Ashbourne for Monday to Friday next week but can't get through by phone...

We've struggled to reach them in the past when we had the caravan so i'll keep trying

Failing that it might be The Plassey instead
Get to Europe??BUSBY.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have today turned up to an ACSI site around pm, in Alsace, which is full and there were queues outside too. We are ok as we could look for an aire but our friends not so happy as they don’t have their own “facilities”.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If your profile is correct and you are in Scotland I don't understand why you need sites. Everyone wild camps in Scotland it was made for it. :D2

OP
OP
T

tommac

Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
sold
Exp
Absolute NEWBIE
If your profile is correct and you are in Scotland I don't understand why you need sites. Everyone wild camps in Scotland it was made for it. :D2

As I said earlier--wife is recovering from recent stroke and wants to stay on sites for now. But yes, hopefully next year we`ll try wildcamping-should be fun. We`ve only been MH`ing for a month--early days and all that.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No but I expect that the owners have a life and don’t want to have to stay home all day waiting for you to arrive (or not)!
The owners have a life where they can do what they want when they want, or they run a business where their life and livelihood depends on their customers. Their business should be run for their customers not to make life easier for them, or they shouldn’t bother.

You don’t run a shop by appointment, opening only when a customer wants to visit so why run a campsite like that?
Most CL’s are on farms so I don’t imagine farmers go out for the day and if they are going to be out or unavailable, they can impart this information at the time of booking and instruct you where you should park.
it really is simple.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back