I've just had the weekend from hell and I blame myself (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Thanks all. I can't make up my mind what to do TBH. When I go out for the day all is well, but when I have to stay home that's when it really bites, and when I come home from being out too. But I presume that this is the grieving period and it's early days still? I work from home part-time and it's been very difficult to do that properly recently and I'm making lots of silly mistakes.

My flat and campervan are only small, so size of dog will be restricted, I believe it also says that on the leasehold too. But I think I'll have to replace Kimberley one day because when you're on you own a dog I think is more than just a pet, rather a spiritual necessity.

A friend said the way I was feeling was because neither my mum's nor Kimberley's death's were by natural causes but by accidents. She said that I'm feeling a certain amount of guilt over both; mum because I chose the nursing home for her, and Kimberley - well you know about that. She said that was quite normal even though there was nothing I could have done about saving either of them, and that the feeling will wane over time.

At the risk of making myself open to ridicule, there have been some strange things occurring in my flat over the past week; from within 24 hrs of Kimberley being taken away, I've heard what sounded like her little whimper when she thought it was time for me to get out of bed and make her breakfast! I put that done to grief and a hope/expectation that she might still be with me. I also put the feeling that she was still around me at home down to the same cause.

However something else is happening which I'm finding much harder to explain; her breed (Japanese Spitz) tend to drop little fur balls on carpets wherever they spend a fair bit of time, they are like little balls of white wool and quite distinctive. I've got a Dyson Animal vac and it's very efficient at what it does. I've vacuumed the carpets several times since her death, but these little fur balls have re-appeared in certain places and I've collected several over the past week? Even more strange every single one has been either near my armchair or beside my bed in the two places she would settle as close to me as she could.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Morning ! Hope you are feeling a little better this morning! Can you get out in your van for the day?

Good morning, you and others here are like little rays of sunshine trying to penetrate my overcast sky! Yes heading off to harass either the NT or EH today again....

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks all. I can't make up my mind what to do TBH. When I go out for the day all is well, but when I have to stay home that's when it really bites, and when I come home from being out too. But I presume that this is the grieving period and it's early days still? I work from home part-time and it's been very difficult to do that properly recently and I'm making lots of silly mistakes.

My flat and campervan are only small, so size of dog will be restricted, I believe it also says that on the leasehold too. But I think I'll have to replace Kimberley one day because when you're on you own a dog I think is more than just a pet, rather a spiritual necessity.

A friend said the way I was feeling was because neither my mum's nor Kimberley's death's were by natural causes but by accidents. She said that I'm feeling a certain amount of guilt over both; mum because I chose the nursing home for her, and Kimberley - well you know about that. She said that was quite normal even though there was nothing I could have done about saving either of them, and that the feeling will wane over time.

At the risk of making myself open to ridicule, there have been some strange things occurring in my flat over the past week; from within 24 hrs of Kimberley being taken away, I've heard what sounded like her little whimper when she thought it was time for me to get out of bed and make her breakfast! I put that done to grief and a hope/expectation that she might still be with me. I also put the feeling that she was still around me at home down to the same cause.

However something else is happening which I'm finding much harder to explain; her breed (Japanese Spitz) tend to drop little fur balls on carpets wherever they spend a fair bit of time, they are like little balls of white wool and quite distinctive. I've got a Dyson Animal vac and it's very efficient at what it does. I've vacuumed the carpets several times since her death, but these little fur balls have re-appeared in certain places and I've collected several over the past week? Even more strange every single one has been either near my armchair or beside my bed in the two places she would settle as close to me as she could.
That all sounds very mysterious , have a chat to Joy @movan she is very spiritual and will have an answer.
Take care.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Good morning, you and others here are like little rays of sunshine trying to penetrate my overcast sky! Yes heading off to harass either the NT or EH today again....
Good that sounds great ,post some pictures please as I like to see other NT houses . we have done some round here and while away but never your area! Is the sun out it's lovely here!?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hope you have a good day today.
I am packing for a trip in our little MG to France. There will be no respite from sun so plenty of factor 50 going too.
Which NT today? I know the ones Plymouth surrounds but not "deepest Cornwall"!

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
You are still in the early stages of grief and, in my opinion, now is not the best time to acquire another dog. You will never be able to replace Kimberley - she was unique. You will, in time, find another dog but he/she will have their own characteristics, some good and some bad. Don't be too hasty in choosing what could be your companion for the next 10+ years.

Also, if you are thinking of taking your MoHo abroad in the near future then getting a new dog becomes much more complicated, unless you intend to kennel him/her while you are away.

Whatever you decide, we hope that you will soon be happy again.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Good that sounds great ,post some pictures please as I like to see other NT houses . we have done some round here and while away but never your area! Is the sun out it's lovely here!?
I'll make sure I do!
You raised a very good point earlier about my upcoming trip to France - that I should wait until I return before making any big decisions.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hope you have a good day today.
I am packing for a trip in our little MG to France. There will be no respite from sun so plenty of factor 50 going too.
Which NT today? I know the ones Plymouth surrounds but not "deepest Cornwall"!
Yes really pushed the boat out today and went to S. Devon and Dartmouth castle - you probably know that one?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Dartmouth today must have been glorious.
We have had a doing last minute jobs on car and house day so not been much fun. Still off 7am in the morning.
So this car has not been in one piece on the road since 2002! The boss finished (well more or less) putting it together on Wednesday and had first outing Thursday, he has just gone off to get fuel. Wish me luck and if all goes well I will be back to posting when I find wifi. ( I do have a breakdown rescue me app on my phone)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes I do know south Devon and Dartmouth Castle as our daughter was, until recent marriage, a vet in Plymouth.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
You are still in the early stages of grief and, in my opinion, now is not the best time to acquire another dog. You will never be able to replace Kimberley - she was unique. You will, in time, find another dog but he/she will have their own characteristics, some good and some bad. Don't be too hasty in choosing what could be your companion for the next 10+ years.

Also, if you are thinking of taking your MoHo abroad in the near future then getting a new dog becomes much more complicated, unless you intend to kennel him/her while you are away.

Whatever you decide, we hope that you will soon be happy again.

Excellent advice and I will heed it.
What's the old saying - "act in haste and repent at leisure"? Lot of truth in that. I'm booked on a ferry at start of September, even if I found another suitable dog in a week (highly unlikely knowing how I dither), then the whole thing would be rushed including the pet passport, and then I'd be taking a huge risk taking a dog I didn't know abroad straight away.
In the meantime I'll just have to grin and bear it and keep busy, do some work too.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Dartmouth today must have been glorious.
We have had a doing last minute jobs on car and house day so not been much fun. Still off 7am in the morning.
So this car has not been in one piece on the road since 2002! The boss finished (well more or less) putting it together on Wednesday and had first outing Thursday, he has just gone off to get fuel. Wish me luck and if all goes well I will be back to posting when I find wifi. ( I do have a breakdown rescue me app on my phone)
It was more like the South of France than South Devon!
Great - bon voyage!

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Yes I do know south Devon and Dartmouth Castle as our daughter was, until recent marriage, a vet in Plymouth.
It's much bigger than it looks when you drive up to it, takes quite a long while to go round it all now - apparently it's just received a make-over by EH with new audio visual stuff - lots of banging and shouting near the guns!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sounds fun.
The doggie in my picture belongs to our daughter. She has two rescue dogs that seem to spend a lot of time with us! This little one a Jack Russell Chihuahua cross was a cruelty RSPCA case, and the other she picked up by the side of the road in India with a broken back and nursed it to health.
One day I hope you will be able to give a little doggie a good home and make a difference to another little life.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Very sorry to hear about your loss. Its always terribly sad when your dog dies as they are like a son or daughter and very much a part of the family.

The best dog we ever had was a Shetland Sheepdog bitch from a rescue centre in Ipplepen. She was always my wife's dog but near her end when she could no longer walk far I made a box to bolt on the pannier rack of my bicycle and she would happily sit in there on a pillow and we would ride for miles. One such trip was from the campsite at Blackpool to the sea front and all the way up the promenade to Fleetwood and back. After that she used to come and sit on my lap which I'm sure was her way of showing her appreciation!

My daughter also had a lovely dalmatian bitch from Blue Cross near Tiverton which might be another possibility as and when you think the time is right to get another dog.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Sounds fun.
The doggie in my picture belongs to our daughter. She has two rescue dogs that seem to spend a lot of time with us! This little one a Jack Russell Chihuahua cross was a cruelty RSPCA case, and the other she picked up by the side of the road in India with a broken back and nursed it to health.
One day I hope you will be able to give a little doggie a good home and make a difference to another little life.
Your daughter did some wonderful things and must be a very special person.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hope you've had a good day today roadster55!:sun:
I've kept busy all day Anthea and thanks for asking. Made sure I haven't sat and reflected for too long, and when sad thoughts starting creeping up this evening, I watched Mission Impossible Rogue Nation on TV sky movies. Managed to concentrate all the way through whilst watching Rebecca Ferguson kicking butt - ouch!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Morning!
Loving your new wheel trims! You men love those trims! Rob has put those thin plastic tie jobbies on so no scrote can nick them ! And we hadn't got alloys just say ford!!Lol:LOL:
Have a great day whatever you have planned and make the most of this lovely weather!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Morning!
Loving your new wheel trims! You men love those trims! Rob has put those thin plastic tie jobbies on so no scrote can nick them ! And we hadn't got alloys just say ford!!Lol:LOL:
Have a great day whatever you have planned and make the most of this lovely weather!!

Thanks, yes the garage guy put plastic ties on each so he probably thought the same thing. Nothing too exciting today, do some work, later shopping and get my hair cut. I've got to learn to be able to relax at home, I can't keep running away.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Roadster ... I got a new set of wheel trims once. They were a birthday present off my ex-husband .... He told me my present wS in the drive .... since only my old car was there I spent 15 minutes of confusion till he pointed them out to me!!!!

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I made a play for this one (scroll down the page):

http://www.charney-kennels.co.uk/spitz.html

But she's already gone. Was prepared to rush through the Pet Passport and my vet said it could be done, but wasn't to be.......
Still they've put my name down for the next one that becomes available, so that's something I guess.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Might be worth keeping your eye on this site?

Broken Link Removed

Excellent spot. The German version seems to have the same sort of character as the Japanese one, I'll get in contact with them when I return from my holiday. Apparently all Spitz's are known for being "companion" dogs, which is what I'm sort of after I guess, instead of having kids!

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Following your tip Tony I've just found this little fella needing a permanent home:

http://www.dogsblog.com/bandit-16/#more-175381

I've phoned the number and left them a message to contact me. Probably gone but no harm asking. If the worse came to the worse I could always put my holiday departure date back by a month.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
It's always so sad when you loose any animal. They don't live long enough but then again it gives us the opportunity of gaining a new friend. I though the bottom of my world had fallen out when I lost my lovely German Shepherd a few years back. Now I have a little Shiatsu who is great fun and has a character all of his own and brings just as much fun and love as my previous dog.
When there time has come there is nothing you can do about it. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back