I've just had the weekend from hell and I blame myself (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Morning roadster55,that little fella in the previous post sounds like he could be the one,hope so. if not it wasn't meant to be and there's another lucky dog out there just waiting for you to come along and give him a loving home.Keep us posted on your search and the very best of luck.(y) Mew.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Yeah sorry guys still here. Had a bit of a downer with little black bandit - they initially said I'd got him and I was cock-a-hoop and started making arrangements with vets etc. and then they called me back to say they were terribly sorry but he was already reserved, which was something like being kicked in the private parts a considerable number of times...
By some miracle I hadn't got around to changing the ferry dates or I'd of been out of pocket too. So now I'm going to go on my own and leave it till I come back, and then think about it again then.
A neighbour said to me why don't I get a cat? Apparently there's even lists of cats that are "most like dogs", can you believe that. I guess they don't tie you down so much being more independent.
I'm actually feeling better in myself now and have been doing quite a lot. Now planning my 4 weeker with the precision of the RAF Dambusters raid!!

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
He's still up for adoption too? That site doesn't seem to bother to put anything up about the dog being homed or even reserved. I suppose they just want to attract interest for other dogs or something.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm sure there are many good rescue centres out there but a lot of them appear to prioritize fund raising over rehoming...
*A friend had poor experience at Battersea, finally got a pooch from another, but is still constantly pestered for donations.
*I contacted a local one to offer to volunteer, left a message, no response. When I brought up the matter when I saw them out fundraising on to be met with a shrug but if I'd like to leave a donation
*...and now this.

It makes me almost despair at the efforts required to regime a rescue dog...
I'm looking but I'm put off by the poor organization - how can I have confidence that they will pay attention to my minimal requirements.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi
Sorry your hopes were dashed, however my advice would be to have a face to face (or face to wet nose and tongue) with any prospective companion. I do understand your thinking that another Spitz would be ideal, however, as in life, the one that steals your heart is often unexpected. After all you cannot directly replace the one you lost, she was unique.

Go away and have a real break. There will be lots of dogs to make friends with on the campsites. Do make plans to visit the rehousing centres that have been personally recommended earlier on this thread by a few of us.

I love cats and ours used to be a real welcome home when we turned the key in the lock, however once the welcome given, that was it..off to find a warm comfy place elsewhere to curl up. Not really a companion.
( OK I know some of you will be on here to differ soon!)

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hi
Sorry your hopes were dashed, however my advice would be to have a face to face (or face to wet nose and tongue) with any prospective companion. I do understand your thinking that another Spitz would be ideal, however, as in life, the one that steals your heart is often unexpected. After all you cannot directly replace the one you lost, she was unique.

Go away and have a real break. There will be lots of dogs to make friends with on the campsites. Do make plans to visit the rehousing centres that have been personally recommended earlier on this thread by a few of us.

I love cats and ours used to be a real welcome home when we turned the key in the lock, however once the welcome given, that was it..off to find a warm comfy place elsewhere to curl up. Not really a companion.
( OK I know some of you will be on here to differ soon!)

TBH I'd be fairly confident with any Spitz as they all seem to have the same characteristics - very much companion dogs that lock on to one person.

They couldn't come with much more baggage than Kimberley did, reportedly she was used in a magic act up to age 4 and was pretty scared of everybody, but especially men. I remember when mum first got her I literally couldn't get anywhere near - and all dogs normally trust me. She sat across the room on mum's feet and regarded me initially with suspicion, but soon replaced I think by curiosity tinged with fear.

Mum had to put her long lead on and give the end to me! However I was the one to take her out walkies twice a day, and she sort of tolerated me more and more, until one day it was as if somebody had flicked a light switch and she transferred her allegiance to me! That was about 2 weeks later. From that point on she never left my side voluntarily.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
She sounds lovely, what a history.
I do wish you well with your search, I'll shut up on the advice front and just keep up the chat!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Good luck in your search

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi roadster55, hope you have had a good day today with this lovely weather. How are your holiday plans coming on? Do give us a run down of your main intended stops. We have had the doggies again overnight and they have just gone home.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hi roadster55, hope you have had a good day today with this lovely weather. How are your holiday plans coming on? Do give us a run down of your main intended stops. We have had the doggies again overnight and they have just gone home.

Hi Annie - just got in from a ramble; had a bit of a lazy weekend really, but been for a couple of long walks locally though which were relaxing and will hopefully also knock off a few pounds! Made a change from driving anyway. I'll put some pics up later.

As for my plans for the holiday I've been buying up any secondhand book bargains I can find on amazon and ebay relating to France which is my main destination, and have found loads of interesting places I didn't know about. These will be places that are easier to visit on your own without a dog, so should get them done on this trip in case things change in the future. South of France is a bit of a hidden gem when it comes to Roman sites, and medieval castles everywhere. Another interesting thing to look into are the Bastide towns which were the fortified villages often built during the 100 years war both by France and England. Of course these places are always in beautiful countryside, with loads of aires to overnight in.
Here's the books and guides I've got so far:
Think I might need a bookcase! Won't have mobile internet but my satnav has a lot of POI's too.
P1000332.JPG
P1000334.JPG
P1000333.JPG
P1000335.JPG

P1000332.JPG P1000334.JPG P1000333.JPG P1000335.JPG

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Enjoy your trip and your freedom as I suspect it won't be long before another dog appears on the scene. We fostered for a couple of rescues after losing our old flatcoat cross and I really intended to get another as Molly had been such a super dog. However we have landed up keeping two of our fosters- two irish water spaniel/ collie crosses - completely different but they have made their own place in our hearts, and the motorhome!

So good luck and I'll watch out for updates on both your travels and canine companion.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
What a great collection of books. You will have fun planning your trip. Looks like a good scale for your road atlas, France is so MH friendly.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
The best laid plans of mouse and men........I'm afraid I appear to have been adopted again!

Meet "Charlie" a King Charles Bijon cross aged 1 yr 8 months.

He came from the Margaret Green Rescue Centre in Devon this morning. I went to look at an advertised dog but when they had read my history of owning 4 rescue dogs of various types, they told me of this little fella who has not been advertised because everybody would want him, and he needs 1 to 1 care in a home without any children apparently.

He took me for a walk and never left my side, responding each time he was called and sitting too. Back at the home he was just the same and the girls were frankly amazed. I never got to see the other dog! On the way home he spent the entire journey in the front with me looking out the side window of the Transit cab! He's a cute little fella and very affectionate, and I feel better already.

Going to have to delay the ferry crossing a bit and get him a passport, but he's going to be an easy dog to travel with I think...

P1000374.JPG
P1000375.JPG
P1000376.JPG

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh what a little cutie, I'm sure he will make a wonderful travel companion , what are you hoping to call him.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Oh what a little cutie, I'm sure he will make a wonderful travel companion , what are you hoping to call him.

I think I'll stick with the kennel name of Charlie, so I'll be the big Charlie and he'll be the little one!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Looks like he's settled in and Charlie gives him scope to be regal, or funny, a mixture of both would be good, look forward to following your adventures. (y)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Very happy to hear you've found your new companion. He looks gorgeous and he'll certainly start a few conversations while you're travelling. Also help the healing process of your lovely Kimberley.

Now, what about all those places you were going to visit more easily without a dog :D:D

Happy times ahead for you

Karen

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Very happy to hear you've found your new companion. He looks gorgeous and he'll certainly start a few conversations while you're travelling. Also help the healing process of your lovely Kimberley.

Now, what about all those places you were going to visit more easily without a dog :D:D

Happy times ahead for you

Karen

LOL yes best laid plans of mice and men!! Looks like I''ll be visiting mostly ruined castles and Roman remains now and not walking around stately Chateaux! I think a lot of the places are ok with a dog on a lead, they seem a dog friendly bunch the French. I prefer the older sites anyway TBH.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Looks like he's settled in and Charlie gives him scope to be regal, or funny, a mixture of both would be good, look forward to following your adventures. (y)
You're right he could be either King Charles or Charlie Chaplin! At the mo he's doing a pretty good impersonation of a little angel, but I'm sure his cheeky side will come out over the next few days. Off to the PO now, then up onto the hills I think.

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
ooh what a little cutie, love his face, good on you for getting a rescue dog that needs a home:clap2:

Silvia

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Lovely news and isn't Charlie lucky to have found you! Enjoy your new lives together.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.gif So pleased to read your news, he is gorgeous and cute and I am sure you two are going to have such happy times together. I am jumping up and down as so exited for you. Who cares about Chateaux?
And from Margaret Green Rescue as well..........

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
He looks quite a cheeky chappie... Cannot wait to meet him someday.... Welcome, Charlie .... nice to meet you on the forum little fella... :)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
roadster55, I hope that you have at least half as much fun with your new friend as we have had over the past 9 years with our Bichon/Caniche rescue dog (he will be 15 in 2 weeks time but is convinced that he is still a puppy).

As for Bastide towns and castles and old buildings in general I hope that you will spend some time in the Lot (dept 46) - there is more to it than just Rocamadour. There are plenty of aires, lay-bys and supermarket carparks if sites are not your thing and you are correct about the French being dog friendly, welcoming them into most shops (except supermarkets), restaurants and cafes.

Enjoy already.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back