I've cut the cable

normanandsue

Funster
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am sure I am not the first and I will certainly not be the last person who has cut the cable on the hedge trimmer. It can be repaired by joining the two cut ends by a fused 13amp plug, but is this the best way? Would it be better to use an EHU connection rather then a domestic plug and socket connection or it there a better way.

Robert Clark

LIFE MEMBER
MH
N&B Arto 78F
Exp
Since June 2014 - learning something new all the time
Electric hedge trimmers are an accident waiting to happen. How about upgrading to a petrol one ?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Happened to me last week. Thank the Good Lord for the RCD. Anyway, opened up the trimmer, removed the two feet of cable, and rewired it using the main length of severed lead. Much safer than joining cable. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Burstner t625 Harmony
Exp
Since 2006
I bought my electric hedge trimmer from Lidl a year pr two back. It has a nice feature which clips the cable into the handle to keep it out of the way of the blade - and makes it easy to put the cable over your shoulder even more out of the way. I still always use an RCD though :D

I noticed that either Lidl or Aldi had trimmers in their specials a few weeks ago but they were rechargeable. Maybe they are going down the safety route.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought my electric hedge trimmer from Lidl a year pr two back. It has a nice feature which clips the cable into the handle to keep it out of the way of the blade - and makes it easy to put the cable over your shoulder even more out of the way. I still always use an RCD though :D

I noticed that either Lidl or Aldi had trimmers in their specials a few weeks ago but they were rechargeable. Maybe they are going down the safety route.
Yes, its much harder to accidentally cut the battery.........................:Eeek::Eeek:

Reactions: GJH

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
MH
SunLiving Lido M45SP
Exp
On and off for many years.
Or get a cordless rechargeable.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1588813.htm

Other makes and retailers are available.

The petrol powered trimmers are heavy but good for dense hedges.

The corded trimmers are an accident waiting to happen. The Drake has cut through the cables on ours on numerous occasions.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a small battery model I use on the wife's bush. It recharges in just a few hours. :)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The trimmer. It takes quite a while for her little bush to re-grow. When it was younger, well, you couldn't stop it! Now it's older, it's got that I only need to trim it once a year, followed by a good sprinkling of manure. She waters it herself every day.
Sometimes I'm tempted to just leave it alone in the sunshine, but she keeps covering it up, worried about frosty nights, I suppose.

Minxy Girl

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 1996
I have a small battery model I use on the wife's bush. It recharges in just a few hours. :)(y)
I have two ... both rechargeable! :D

A full sized one and a small one too. You simply cannot beat them for ease of use and they really do as good a job as mains electric ones.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have two ... both rechargeable! :D

A full sized one and a small one too. You simply cannot beat them for ease of use and they really do as good a job as mains electric ones.(y)
You have two!! Lucky bush!. I have to make do with a little one, but it does the job, just. My wife says my battery is running down, but it's so old now, it would be hard to find a replacement. :(:(

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services