Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am sure I am not the first and I will certainly not be the last person who has cut the cable on the hedge trimmer. It can be repaired by joining the two cut ends by a fused 13amp plug, but is this the best way? Would it be better to use an EHU connection rather then a domestic plug and socket connection or it there a better way.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Electric hedge trimmers are an accident waiting to happen. How about upgrading to a petrol one ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Happened to me last week. Thank the Good Lord for the RCD. Anyway, opened up the trimmer, removed the two feet of cable, and rewired it using the main length of severed lead. Much safer than joining cable. (y)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Lol mine has about 6 joins in it don't know how ive not been electrocuted yet

Reactions: kcy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought my electric hedge trimmer from Lidl a year pr two back. It has a nice feature which clips the cable into the handle to keep it out of the way of the blade - and makes it easy to put the cable over your shoulder even more out of the way. I still always use an RCD though :D

I noticed that either Lidl or Aldi had trimmers in their specials a few weeks ago but they were rechargeable. Maybe they are going down the safety route.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I bought my electric hedge trimmer from Lidl a year pr two back. It has a nice feature which clips the cable into the handle to keep it out of the way of the blade - and makes it easy to put the cable over your shoulder even more out of the way. I still always use an RCD though :D

I noticed that either Lidl or Aldi had trimmers in their specials a few weeks ago but they were rechargeable. Maybe they are going down the safety route.
Yes, its much harder to accidentally cut the battery.........................:Eeek::Eeek:

Reactions: GJH

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Or get a cordless rechargeable.

Broken Link Removed

Other makes and retailers are available.

The petrol powered trimmers are heavy but good for dense hedges.

The corded trimmers are an accident waiting to happen. The Drake has cut through the cables on ours on numerous occasions.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a small battery model I use on the wife's bush. It recharges in just a few hours. :)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The trimmer. It takes quite a while for her little bush to re-grow. When it was younger, well, you couldn't stop it! Now it's older, it's got that I only need to trim it once a year, followed by a good sprinkling of manure. She waters it herself every day.
Sometimes I'm tempted to just leave it alone in the sunshine, but she keeps covering it up, worried about frosty nights, I suppose.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have a small battery model I use on the wife's bush. It recharges in just a few hours. :)(y)
I have two ... both rechargeable! :D

A full sized one and a small one too. You simply cannot beat them for ease of use and they really do as good a job as mains electric ones.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have two ... both rechargeable! :D

A full sized one and a small one too. You simply cannot beat them for ease of use and they really do as good a job as mains electric ones.(y)
You have two!! Lucky bush!. I have to make do with a little one, but it does the job, just. My wife says my battery is running down, but it's so old now, it would be hard to find a replacement. :(:(

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

We have a huge conifer hedge the length of the back garden and about 12 feet tall. About six or seven years ago I bought a cordless / battery trimmer from Aldi for £39.99. Didn't expect much of it and thought it probably wouldn't be up to the job. How wrong - it's amazing. The only problem is that I can only do just over half the hedge before the battery runs out. A year after buying it, exactly the same model came up on offer again at the same price - so bought another - mainly to get the second battery, but also to have a spare machine if required. I think replacement batteries are about £45, so it was a 'no-brainer' really.

Anyway, the original trimmer and 2 batteries are still going strong! Still can't believe it's stood up to the punishment it's had after all this time.

Mike

Reactions: GJH

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I cut mine once, couldn't understand why it wasn't working! And it was plugged into straight into the mains, go figure!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back