Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Sat abroad at the moment and we entertain ourselves with a brilliant android app "Vehicle Watch"....it instantly tells you the status of British vehicles... and to be honest its becoming more a case of finding van's which are legal as opposed to ones that aren't .. the amount we have seen not only on sites (back home in the UK too i should add) but also driving around which have been either Sorned for years, no MOT or Tax for years is jaw dropping... now some might argue "well that's up to them" .... but what if they hit you....what if that van you are cosily parked next to on a site burst in to flames.....what then..

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
That's what fully comp insurance was invented for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Still plenty of curtain twitching going on then,cant speak for europe but if the UK invested in a pro active police force perhaps there would be less. Where are you in europe I will drive past and you your app can check me ,this could be a good game to start .😀
Must be similar to saving car numbers that we did as kids.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We extended the date of our van's MOT by 6 months as permitted by the lockdown provisions. Between the date of the original due date for the MOT and the subsequent date, a search of DVLA showed the van as not having an MOT.
So it is likely (assuming this didn't just apply to our van) that some of the vans shown as having no MOT were lawful.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sat abroad at the moment and we entertain ourselves with a brilliant android app "Vehicle Watch"....it instantly tells you the status of British vehicles... and to be honest its becoming more a case of finding van's which are legal as opposed to ones that aren't .. the amount we have seen not only on sites (back home in the UK too i should add) but also driving around which have been either Sorned for years, no MOT or Tax for years is jaw dropping... now some might argue "well that's up to them" .... but what if they hit you....what if that van you are cosily parked next to on a site burst in to flames.....what then..
If they have paid for insurance which is current then it will still provide third-party cover for you, they won't get a bean though.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Some of those vehicles are parked on the farm storage I use.

It's heartbreaking to see them.... obviously been there for years, almost black due to the moss covering them. Obviously either dumped or maybe something happened to the owner.. If he/she was single probably nobody knows it is there. :(

I mentioned it to the farmer but he didn't seem bothered. It's sad.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We extended the date of our van's MOT by 6 months as permitted by the lockdown provisions. Between the date of the original due date for the MOT and the subsequent date, a search of DVLA showed the van as not having an MOT.
So it is likely (assuming this didn't just apply to our van) that some of the vans shown as having no MOT were lawful.
I did nothing the MOT was extended automatically.
Our MH is in that 6 month period original MOT date was 30th May, now when I check https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk is say MOT valid and expires 30th November.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Unless you were holding a current mot when abroad it wouldn't be legal. Trying to explain that there is an extension in the Uk wouldn't be a lot of use when you are here.

OP
OP
Garry - June

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Still plenty of curtain twitching going on then,cant speak for europe but if the UK invested in a pro active police force perhaps there would be less. Where are you in europe I will drive past and you your app can check me ,this could be a good game to start .😀
lol...Not really "Curtain Twitching" ...like i said we mainly do it for fun....we dont go around reporting people....but having said that its good to know what your parking up next to.. ;-)

OP
OP
Garry - June

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Actually its an app everyone should have if in the market to purchase a vehicle too as it will show you exactly what MOT history the vehicle has...what it failed on...what advisories etc etc...personally think its a brilliant tool..

OP
OP
Garry - June

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Who ultimately pays the costs for non-payment of funds into Government coffers?
At what crime do we draw the line at reporting \ intervening?:unsure:
Very true....having actually been the victim of being hit by an uninsured driver I can tell you it was a nightmare which ended up in the small claims court...even that was terrible....the judge found in our favour..ordered the other party to make monthly payments to us to clear the debt...made 3 payments then they disappeared..ending up costing me a lot of money back then..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
now some might argue "well that's up to them" .... but what if they hit you....what if that van you are cosily parked next to on a site burst in to flames.....what then..

I don't have the time, even in my leisure filled days, to concern myself too much over any disasters that MIGHT happen to me in the future...

I mean... what if a religious maniac grabs me and cuts my head off?

What then?

JJ :cool:

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Actually its an app everyone should have if in the market to purchase a vehicle too as it will show you exactly what MOT history the vehicle has...what it failed on...what advisories etc etc...personally think its a brilliant tool..
Although the information is available on the .gov website.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
yes i use it to as a tool for our own vehicles, as it reminds you when insurance, tax etc is due. never thought to use it to spy on other peoples vehicles... let me think about that... nah got better things to do with my time... personally think it is a little sad sitting there punching in reg numbers to see what comes up (n)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The D&C Police have this thingee on some of their vehicles (if not all??)
Just driving down a street it can spot a vehicle not licensed, not too sure about M0Ts or Insurance tho.
I think the Met are also equipped with it. Havan't a clue about the rest.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I don't have the time, even in my leisure filled days, to concern myself too much over any disasters that MIGHT happen to me in the future...

I mean... what if a religious maniac grabs me and cuts my head off?

What then?

JJ :cool:

Then you'd be a foot shorter, unable to eat, or drink, and would more than likely die of malnutrition and dehydration.

ERMM! in that case can I have your paddling pool?

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
The D&C Police have this thingee on some of their vehicles (if not all??)
Just driving down a street it can spot a vehicle not licensed, not too sure about M0Ts or Insurance tho.
I think the Met are also equipped with it. Havan't a clue about the rest.
Think you'll find all police forces have them now. And DVSA or whatever their latest name is!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Think you'll find all police forces have them now. And DVSA or whatever their latest name is!

Well if DVSA spot a car without tax paid I hope they do not waste their time trying to phone DVLA to report it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back