LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Got 1x AFFF 1x BCF 1xCO2 1x BCF 1x CTC, also have in the garage 1xLPP, 1xFB5x 4 x 25m 70mm, 1x 10.5 1x 13.5
Although my FS training was 1969, I still believe you cannot be to complacent. ( BIT of an in joke)
Any before you respond I know some of the above were outlawed at the same time as 50ft ladders with big wheels.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No use by date to check
No powder to shake

Ours is always ready for use.

fire-beater-ezy-beat-big-red-truck.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Broken Link Removed
  • £65.09
  • Free Postage
General Fires in Open Areas, that must be Campervans 100%

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Got 1x AFFF 1x BCF 1xCO2 1x BCF 1x CTC, also have in the garage 1xLPP, 1xFB5x 4 x 25m 70mm, 1x 10.5 1x 13.5
Although my FS training was 1969, I still believe you cannot be to complacent. ( BIT of an in joke)
Any before you respond I know some of the above were outlawed at the same time as 50ft ladders with big wheels.
Nowt wrong with BCF. A chap said to me "use that, and it could destroy one of your lungs". I replied yes, but I have two lungs, and one fire. (y)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yes, 2 kgs alongside habitation door (2 kgs in both my car and better half) been on a fire marshall and ADR course so hope I would know how to use one but hope more that I will never have too use one!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes and also a fire blanket. Wouldn't be without them although if a serious fire started I'd do what the fire brigade tell me and get out and get them out!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Nowt wrong with BCF. A chap said to me "use that, and it could destroy one of your lungs". I replied yes, but I have two lungs, and one fire. (y)
You cant use that mate (Halon) its bad for the ozone! my reply, "and a race car on fire is good for the ozone then is it ?" then some other words!!!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You cant use that mate (Halon) its bad for the ozone! my reply, "and a race car on fire is good for the ozone then is it ?" then some other words!!!
I'm just sat here trying to work out why no one has Co2. Surely a better choice?? That bl**dy powder ruins everything, (including circuit board electrical devices), once it get free. Must look into the Co2 thing.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes to all.

Any of them do less environmental/health damage than burning tyres & toxic materials.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
:eek: Oops! Haven't got one at all, not even crossed my mind until I read this post..

Warning! Warning Don't park next to me until I get one.:banghead::banghead:

Don't worry mate your water hose will cope...:sneaky:(y):whistle:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I'm just sat here trying to work out why no one has Co2. Surely a better choice?? That bl**dy powder ruins everything, (including circuit board electrical devices), once it get free. Must look into the Co2 thing.
CO2 just damages all the electrics the same but it takes longer to show

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
CO2 just damages all the electrics the same but it takes longer to show

CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) Fire Extinguishers contain only pressurised CO2 gas and therefore leave no residue. This type of extinguisher is suitable for use on fires involving burning liquids (Class B fires), but is also a good solution for quenching fires involving computer equipment and other electrical appliances, as it does not cause damage to the electrical items and does not cause the system to short circuit. It is important to remember that when using CO2 extinguishers there is a possibility that once the smothering CO2 gas has floated away the fire may re-ignite if the source of the fire is not removed (eg switching off the power supply) or if the materials are still very hot. Please be aware that CO2 extinguishers that are not fitted with double-lined swivel horns may cause your fingers to freeze to the horn during the deployment of the extinguisher. Always select CO2 extinguishers with frost-free horns. CO2 extinguishers are NOT suitable for deep fat fryers, as the strong jet from the extinguisher carries the burning fat out of the fryer and into the room!

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Nice try Toots but long term damage is caused by water vapour alone, the industry denies it but there ya go they would, and although insurers know it they don't acknowledge it .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Nice try Toots
Sorry Roger, trying nothing! o_O Just quoting the info on C02. I thought that water vapour got everywhere, even when you expel air?? I dropped a phone into The Lancaster Canal eight years ago. Could just see it, so fished it out. Dried near to a radiator for a week, and it still works today, (even though its just stuck in a drawer these days). Now, salt water vapour, and I would agree with you. :)

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have two powder and a co2, and now that i remember a fire blanket that needs puting in the van. :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's one up front, not sure which but I do know dry powder's intended for flammable liquids and C02 is for electricals so it's probably dry powder.

Down the back near the cooker there's a fire blanket on the wall. The ruddy plastic lid always falls off with a loud clatter about 10 minutes into any journey. We've got a smoke/C02 alarm in the habitation area that yells 'FIRE! FIRE!' every time we cook. I always turn all the non-fridge gas supply taps off before turning in at night - it's too easy in our MH to put the cooker rings on by brushing against the controls on a night-time loo trip.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Update..

new van came with two x 2kg Dry Powder .. one dated 2002 other 2008 .. they look like brand new.. seals intact .. but they don't have a pressure gauge so no way of knowing if they would still work ... so better safe than sorry , have ordered two replacements from here
http://www.safelincs.co.uk/

I choose Kidde.. I know this brand and trust it.. they have a six year warranty.. There are cheaper on the market.. it's down to choice.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Thanks for reminder.

Very good fire alarm tested every time I make toast and a 2k extinguisher just by hab door ..... Think I have a blanket too ..... will check where it is! Dont know where I would put an extinguisher in the front? Will discuss /check.

Must say I prefer to cook with something electrical inside the motorhome, worktop space is so limited and tea towels / packaging can easily catch a flame. Rarely use the gas unless travelling. Cook outside when possible.

Carbon Dioxide alarm too will check them all again now suppose batteries are 2 years old.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i love a good roaring fire in winter thats why i carry marshmellows and sausages brilliant when roasted :whistle:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
a 2k extinguisher just by hab door

Previous owner had one by the hab door and the other in the garage.. not much use there, but I think he had a mobility scooter that he stored and charged in the garage.. .. so maybe that was the reason ..

I'll fit one by the hab door and the other by the drivers door .. that way I have one to hand at both exit doors.

also fitted a fire blanket near the cooker, new smoke and CO2 alarms.. they both have a 10 year battery life.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
As others have said, done all the offshore firefighting courses during 25 years offshore.
Including Heli Deck firefighting, so if a chopper crash lands on the MH I'm ok.

Still part of the fire team although too bloody old in my mind.
MH stuff needs checking out though, not sure if it's in date, thanks for the reminder, wiil do it today.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Just for information for anyone that has not done a fire safety course or operated a fire extinguisher, fire extinguishers are controllable ! as in when you remove the pin or plastic tabs to use them if you squeeze the trigger gently you can control the flow rather that squeezing the trigger hard and blasting everything that is burning all over the place making the situation worse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back