Is this the right time to be traveling around in a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Given the current fuel situation should we be traveling around in our motorhomes in the U.K. ?
We have a couple of trips coming up but thinking of changing the plans and staying close to home to support the local campsite as we only have a small amount of diesel.
Not sure if anyone else is thinking of changing their plans ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
The tunnel is in the UK👍
Well one end is😁😁
lol ok
Apart from traveling to the tunnel ( if you have enough fuel to get there ) should we be traveling around the U.K. on holidays given the horrendous fuel situation? 👍🏻😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
lol ok
Apart from traveling to the tunnel ( if you have enough fuel to get there ) should we be traveling around the U.K. on holidays given the horrendous fuel situation? 👍🏻😀
I think the only thing that would worry me is getting back.
Some vans have a big range on them so not to bad mine only has a 350 mile range☹️☹️
On that I would tend to just stay local.

Also depending on where you go as a chap who works for me has managed to get diesel for the last couple of days and he’s in Brighton.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
lol ok
Yes, there is just as much fuel as there ever is, it's just moving it about that's the problem, so makes no difference where you fill up.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm expecting that once most people have brimmed their tanks (many no doubt for the first time ever) the panic will die down until someone posts on Faecesbook or Squitter that there's going to be a shortage of Botox or Newcastle Brown.

Last edited:

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
We were planning on visiting the UK in a couple of weeks and were going to go in the MoHo. We've now decided to take the car instead, as we can get more mpg. My only worry is getting enough fuel to get to South Yorks, do what we need to do and get back to France!! It's not a trip I can postpone, really :(

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Given the current fuel situation should we be traveling around in our motorhomes in the U.K. ?
We have a couple of trips coming up but thinking of changing the plans and staying close to home to support the local campsite as we only have a small amount of diesel.
There isn’t a fuel situation. There is a situation with a sensationalist media and a selfish population who believe any rumours and falsehoods despite the facts. Who needs to worry about major problems and shortages when we can create our own any time we wish.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
We were planning on visiting the UK in a couple of weeks and were going to go in the MoHo. We've now decided to take the car instead, as we can get more mpg. My only worry is getting enough fuel to get to South Yorks, do what we need to do and get back to France!! It's not a trip I can postpone, really :(

id like to think in a couple of weeks things will be back to normal.
my car has currently got 5 miles worth of petrol but I don’t have to go anywhere so I’m damned if I’m going to join the idiots

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I'm in Fort William right now and there are a lot of vans and there seems to be enough fuel. No queue at the Esso filling station this morning and only saw one pump locked off.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
That’s the worry for me is that we wouldn’t be able to get home if we couldn’t refuel . There pumps here are empty and as soon as a delivery arrives it’s gone in a few hours .

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I drive past one of our two petrol stations on the way to the dog walk and there have been long queues since this fiasco started.

Today there are just a few vehicles at the pumps so it looks like life is getting back to normal.

It doesn't help that Boris has said that there will be a supply problem for a few months yet. Another agenda, perhaps?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Good luck :) Every time we think to go over there a problem rears it’s head ! Planning November so sure as eggs is eggs there will be a UK problem .lol . Hoping not and the infection rates drop ! 3 years since last visit !

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Good luck :) Every time we think to go over there a problem rears it’s head ! Planning November so sure as eggs is eggs there will be a UK problem .lol . Hoping not and the infection rates drop ! 3 years since last visit !

Oh wow, that's a while!! Fingers crossed you can make it :) My husband's been over twice in the last four weeks but we're going together next time. It'll be my first visit since last December :)

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
On our way back from a few days away. Haven’t seen any real fuel issues either way.
Northumberland

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Went to Sainsbury’s this morning, they had no fuel,nor did the other petrol station I passed. So I would guess there isn’t any in Grantham. Hoping there is some diesel tomorrow when we take the van out, to go to the meet at Holbeach Hurn. (car ok, it’s electric. It went in for a service yesterday, normally they collect it, couldn’t because they had no fuel in their cars!)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
WE'RE DOOOOOOMED !!!
I'll be Doomed later as I'm down to my last half dozen.............

Doom Bar 003.JPG

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
GO! The only thing that will stop us getting away will be the weather. Our car has a ⅓ of a tank, so may need to fill up before December; and moho has ⅔, that may see us until the beginning of 2022. I read somewhere that most car journeys are less than 2 or 3 miles; quite a few people in our area drive to the town centre, a 5-minute walk away!
I suppose the bright side to all this stupid hysteria is that it will increase September's inflation figures for us pensioners' pay rise next year.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
If you’ve got unused frequent travellers tickets it’s probably viable to use them to drive to France, fill the garage with cheap wine, stick 200l of fuel in the tank and come back to the uk to do a British tour
Not got the frequent travellers ticket☹️
Will check with Mrs CC how many Tesco points she has as we are off week after next😁

Don’t drink wine so garage will be empty on return, years ago use to go over for long weekends stock up on tobacco then sell it to the lads on site and that paid for our trip away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back