Is this the right time to be traveling around in a motorhome (1 Viewer)

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Given the current fuel situation should we be traveling around in our motorhomes in the U.K. ?
We have a couple of trips coming up but thinking of changing the plans and staying close to home to support the local campsite as we only have a small amount of diesel.
Not sure if anyone else is thinking of changing their plans ?
Don’t worry, just go for it. There is no fuel shortage nationally, just a blip in supply created by a biased media trying to make negative headline. It’s already settled down around us.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Don’t drink wine so garage will be empty on return, years ago use to go over for long weekends stock up on tobacco then sell it to the lads on site and that paid for our trip away.
My pal who works for Transmanche thought of that as pre-Covid he used to take his wife and m/h over for the day, do a big shop and return for the staff rate of £5 (or it may be a bit more now). Unfortunately the pre-return antigen and 2 day PCR post-return tests would now add at least £120 to the trip cost.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
There is, we are told, plenty of fuel, it's simply a minor distribution problem, exacerbated by abnormal buying habits. On that basis there is no reason for people to stop trying to behave normally, and drive around as they would normally. I stress the word normally. So yes this is the right time to be travelling around in a motorhome.

Deleted User
Good job the French have tanker drivers!
A country with more fuel stations than the Uk, spread over a much larger landmass.
How they do it I don't know?
According to the Torygraph its a European problem, so expect fuel shortages if traveling to France.
Happy holidays.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
We might see a lot more of this over the winter and not just because of a lack of drivers, if you have a product which is quite popular and deemed an essential for a lot of people but feel that you could do with a lot more sales because you would like to raise the profile and stock market position of your company, all you need to do to achieve that now is to send an e mail to the various media outlets to tell them that stocks are really low, you will soon run out and that the product will be of the shelf for some time , blaming brexit and Covid , and there you go, your sales will explode the next day after the media reports about the shortage
Job jobbed😇

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm expecting that once most people have brimmed their tanks (many no doubt for the first time ever) the panic will die down until someone posts on Faecesbook or Squitter that there's going to be a shortage of Botox or Newcastle Brown.
Once they’ve splashed our their Giro cash on extra fuel, instead of Newcastle Brown Ale, they’ll not afford it until the next Giro arrives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The articles I saw late yesterday referred to an acknowledgement that there is a 'minor' problem re HGV Drivers in the Supply Chain, but the WM PM said that there may be problems with 'the [sic wider] Supply Chain for several months', which is consistent with the report given to MPs last week by the Head of Logistics at Tesco that suppliers are all recruiting from the same, too small pool. So there is every possibility that September's fuel panic will become October's Fresh Fruit or Vegetables or Frozen Chicken Supply Chain problems as the HGV recruiters offer signing on bonuses to attract Drivers from elsewhere in the Logistics Sector; a sort of Musical Chairs on wheels ...

Steve

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We were planning on visiting the UK in a couple of weeks and were going to go in the MoHo. We've now decided to take the car instead, as we can get more mpg. My only worry is getting enough fuel to get to South Yorks, do what we need to do and get back to France!! It's not a trip I can postpone, really :(
It’s really easing up here in South Yorkshire, sure there are still the queues but only on the forecourt, I had no trouble filling the cars up on Monday morning when I got back from Lincoln as both the fuel low level lights was on👍

Reactions: HKF

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We were planning on visiting the UK in a couple of weeks and were going to go in the MoHo. We've now decided to take the car instead, as we can get more mpg. My only worry is getting enough fuel to get to South Yorks, do what we need to do and get back to France!! It's not a trip I can postpone, really :(
dont worry there is loads of fuel ( except on the telly)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Why not go....

Why should BP, hoyer, RHA, MSM, idiot drivers etc stop you going away for a few days???

Having already had covid cancel holidays etc letting idiots both company, media and village stop your holiday for no good reason is ridiculous.

They need to pay better, provide better services, and stop writing inflammatory articles.

Smart motorway money would have been better spent on safe rest areas for drivers to properly rest thus saving lives.

Just my opinion.

Cheers James

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Oh wow, that's a while!! Fingers crossed you can make it :) My husband's been over twice in the last four weeks but we're going together next time. It'll be my first visit since last December :)
Wouldn’t be at all if I didn’t have family there !

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Why not go....

Why should BP, hoyer, RHA, MSM, idiot drivers etc stop you going away for a few days???

Having already had covid cancel holidays etc letting idiots both company, media and village stop your holiday for no good reason is ridiculous.

They need to pay better, provide better services, and stop writing inflammatory articles.

Smart motorway money would have been better spent on safe rest areas for drivers to properly rest thus saving lives.

Just my opinion.

Cheers James
Simon Woolfson, CEO of Next, who was also a keen supporter of leaving EU, but who argued for no curbs to immigration, said today that WWM Government had warning of the HGV Driver crisis months ago, but failed to act. He has warned in his remarks accompanying today's profits for Next that the Government must begin to address other Supply Chain issues now, to avoid a Fuel Crisis repeat, but in different Sectors.

If it's true that there's no smoke without fire, then 'inflammatory articles' can only be written when there is kindling, firelighters, fuel and a regular supply of oxygen.

Going back to peak COVID, there was a PPE crisis [IIRC, it was certainly a crisis], that was dealt with by a huge volunteer and charity effort with the 'Dunkirk Spirit' celebratory headlines. Henning Wehn, the UK based German comedian commented pithily 'In Germany, when we have to rely upon volunteers and charity to resolve our daily needs, we do not celebrate; we call it a failure of Government' and that seems spot on.

Steve

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
lol ok
Apart from traveling to the tunnel ( if you have enough fuel to get there ) should we be traveling around the U.K. on holidays given the horrendous fuel situation? 👍🏻😀
Not all of us are ‘travelling around……on holidays’ for some of us it’s life!

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Indeed . My question was asked with regards to people using the motorhome for leisure rather than people living in them full time. Apologies if I didn’t make that obvious 👍🏻

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Whilst for others, holidays are life, and vicki verka [the lady of my dreams ...] :giggle:

Steve

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Will dig in the shed for my old conversion kit :LOL:
6a00e0099229e88833014e60e70dfb970c.jpg

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Ill be heading up to West Yorks, Lincoln, Norfolk Broads & Suffolk coast in near future. Not changing my plans

lynnian

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Ace Genova
Exp
Since 2008
Just seen on BBC news that reserve tankers being sent out to deliver fuel ! Have they started using the self driving lorries already ? Thought there was a driver shortage. 😳
If there is turkey shortage at Christmas we are ok got 2 in the freezer . May consider selling one so I can pay for holidays next year 👍

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This is my local filling station... Dont think this will ever run out... (y)
Diesel only...

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Half mile queues on Monday. Today NO FUEL signs and a few numpties who can't read. Local Esso. Hopeless.

We are staying put for a few more days (or maybe longer) until the local Twilight Zone dissipates.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We went away last Thursday filled up as normal we had a family weekend on a campsite and were now bumbling about in the weymouth area.
Were at Oxford for a meet with friends and new friends this weekend and then home I doubt we have enough fuel to get us home but hope the rush will have subsided by then

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back