Is this the right time to be traveling around in a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Like it or not, there is a "fuel situation" - at least here in the SE.

But who's fault is that? All you suvvenors who panicked.

panic-mainwaring.gif

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I take your point, but. It isn’t a fuel situation. There is plenty of fuel, it’s just not in the right place in the right quantity for current demand. It’s a supply situation.
I think we are just chopping logic here - when you are reliant on your vehicle for your livelihood or getting the kids to school or yourself to medical appointments etc etc and the garages that a couple of weeks ago were already showing signs of strain (pumps closed) before there was any serious reporting of the situation, then it you don't care why there's no fuel available, you just know that there isn't at that's the problem.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Given the current fuel situation should we be traveling around in our motorhomes in the U.K. ?
We have a couple of trips coming up but thinking of changing the plans and staying close to home to support the local campsite as we only have a small amount of diesel.
Not sure if anyone else is thinking of changing their plans ?
The fuel situation has been caused by the press and idiots. Where there is sense up in the north there are no real problems of fuel supply, so just modify where you were planning on going. Remember fuel is not being rationed, it’s nutters queuing and buying it like Pasta and toilet rolls last year, so short supply in some areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Given the current fuel situation should we be traveling around in our motorhomes in the U.K. ?
We have a couple of trips coming up but thinking of changing the plans and staying close to home to support the local campsite as we only have a small amount of diesel.
No diesel shortage here in Spain 🤦🏻‍♀️

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
I had to do a course in Aberdeen last week and drove from Chester to Aberdeen (parked on the Esplanade in Aberdeen for the five days and it was lovely!) and we had no problems filling up. Well, one garage we pulled into had no diesel at the normal pumps, but the attendant told us to use the lorry pump, which we did with no problem.

Aug 23, 2021
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 04
Exp
1 year
We drove from Clacton back to Herts (just) trying to get fuel on the way but nothing. Lots of closed stations and those that were open had no diesel ☹️ Cuppa on the drive for this newbie 😤

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
I'm in Fort William right now and there are a lot of vans and there seems to be enough fuel. No queue at the Esso filling station this morning and only saw one pump locked off.
Shhhh! ........You'll have them flocking up from London to fill up!!

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Well, we’re off to France, Belgium and Germany on Sunday for a circular tour. I gather there are similar problems in Europe but not going to let that stop us. Had too many restrictions over the last 18 months.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
my brother has just returned from nearly a month in France arrived home (Essex) to find that he cannot get petrol for his mower. So now after weeks of relaxing he now has sit back and watch his grass grow :roflmto:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
my brother has just returned from nearly a month in France arrived home (Essex) to find that he cannot get petrol for his mower. So now after weeks of relaxing he now has sit back and watch his grass grow :roflmto:
Fortunately for us when we had to keep the grass cut at our ex-rental (now rental again!) property whilst we were trying to sell it we bought a cheap Argos return electric lawnmower from a market trader, it was cheap in price but not quality and is a very, very good bit of kit, actually better than the petrol one we have for home use so we tend to use the electric one now with the petrol one as a back up!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
NOT a political reply, but it is a lovely comment and play on words made to Andrew Rawnsley, the Guardian Political Columnist, by a 'senior Tory source' ahead of this week's Conference:

'We're in an EFFing Crisis; Energy, Fuel and Food' :LOL:

Steve

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Fortunately for us when we had to keep the grass cut at our ex-rental (now rental again!) property whilst we were trying to sell it we bought a cheap Argos return electric lawnmower from a market trader, it was cheap in price but not quality and is a very, very good bit of kit, actually better than the petrol one we have for home use so we tend to use the electric one now with the petrol one as a back up!
I have electric one with a cord, this and extension cable do my insect sanctuary fine (you cannot call it a lawn) I can remember my mother cutting the grass square in the terrace house with hedge cutters
1633254665817.png
as the size of the patch did not justify the cost of a lawn mower. went up market then and from a jumble sale bought an old rotary grass cutter
1633254618502.png
it was still in the shed when we cleared the house and both still worked ;)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
If you want your grass shorter rent a sheep:LOL:

Being a bachelor and bored i was going to go for a drive this am until the brain kicked in and i realised i might need petrol whilst out.
So a good long walk was done instead.
10,260 steps, 7.6 Ks, 943 Kals burnt.....................knackered.
Still not had to put any fuel in any of our vehcles.

I know i know people who need to take their children to school 1 mile away need fuel (and other more needy)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
If you want your grass shorter rent a sheep:LOL:

Being a bachelor and bored i was going to go for a drive this am until the brain kicked in and i realised i might need petrol whilst out.
So a good long walk was done instead.
10,260 steps, 7.6 Ks, 943 Kals burnt.....................knackered.
Still not had to put any fuel in any of our vehcles.

I know i know people who need to take their children to school 1 mile away need fuel (and other more needy)
heard my neighbours moaning about the lack of fuel just before they got into the car to take their kids the 3 minute drive to school or 10 minute walk ok 15 with 10 & 11 year old . My other friend takes her using their push scooters as it is quicker than walking them , she has been doing this since they started school (no main roads) different people have different priorities but the second is there and back before the first every day as the other spends at least 10 minutes looking for a parking space :LOL:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
heard my neighbours moaning about the lack of fuel just before they got into the car to take their kids the 3 minute drive to school or 10 minute walk ok 15 with 10 & 11 year old . My other friend takes her using their push scooters as it is quicker than walking them , she has been doing this since they started school (no main roads) different people have different priorities but the second is there and back before the first every day as the other spends at least 10 minutes looking for a parking space :LOL:
As the Abbot of the Religious Order remarked to his Runner Up rival after the Abbey had won the 'Best in Britain' Catering Award, 'It's just a matter of getting one's Priory Teas right ...' (y) :LOL:

But, as his rival confessed, bemoaning the failure of his garment recycling project after the recolouring process left them stiff as a board, 'My brother, old habits dye hard ...' :LOL:

Featuring in next week's '2 for 1' Offer ...

Steve

Finch

Free Member
Aug 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I did. Based at home again for a week. Small electric car there helps enormously. But I think things are improving.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
As the Abbot of the Religious Order remarked to his Runner Up rival after the Abbey had won the 'Best in Britain' Catering Award, 'It's just a matter of getting one's Priory Teas right ...' (y) :LOL:

But, as his rival confessed, bemoaning the failure of his garment recycling project after the recolouring process left them stiff as a board, 'My brother, old habits dye hard ...' :LOL:

Featuring in next week's '2 for 1' Offer ...

Steve
heading to the chemist for pain killers :roflmto:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
So you back up there again, feel like joining you, should be picking are new old van up this week and letting them have the old new van. Spotted much ?
Hi Phil,
Yes, found a White tailed Eagles ground resting place with 2 adults and 2 young, so far count is 6 WTE, 7 Golden Eagles, 4 Hen Harriers including 1 female, lots of LBJs, Gulls, ducks and swans but not one Otter 😱 Oh, Seals at various places. Glad to hear you will be vanned up again next week, we will have to do a meet up weekend Mr & Mrs Ambulancekidd are due a visit from us in Dumfries and Galloway soon if you fancy a mini meet? Near them ?

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
Two days ago we drove from North Yorkshire, up the M6 and onwards to Pitlochry. Every filling station was empty of cars. No signs visible saying they were out of fuel. Only annoyance was a Shell station charging over the odds.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Two days ago we drove from North Yorkshire, up the M6 and onwards to Pitlochry. Every filling station was empty of cars. No signs visible saying they were out of fuel. Only annoyance was a Shell station charging over the odds.
Guardian reporting a garage in London charging £2.93 per litre [maybe a £30 min purchase and the customer could only squeeze in just under 11 litres? Needs investigating]

Steve

Apr 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 584
Exp
New
I live in Worcestershire and there is no queuing for fuel and all petrol station are running as normal I think we had around four days where there was a problem . If you listen to the news you best get ready for armegedan

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Guilty.
Out yesterday in the car, didn't need or want fuel. Passed Asda petrol station nobody in so thought have a look (card payment only).
Had fuel so thought, should i be naughty and fill up, i did.
Apologies to all the trades, front line workers, essential services and others who need it more than me:eek:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Guilty.
Out yesterday in the car, didn't need or want fuel. Passed Asda petrol station nobody in so thought have a look (card payment only).
Had fuel so thought, should i be naughty and fill up, i did.
Apologies to all the trades, front line workers, essential services and others who need it more than me:eek:
ER Garages [Asda owners] have removed the £30 limit on fuel purchases because they feel that the supplies are now stable enough to manage without this restriction.

Steve

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
ER Garages [Asda owners] have removed the £30 limit on fuel purchases because they feel that the supplies are now stable enough to manage without this restriction.

Steve
Mine was just over £47, less than half a tank.
ER Garages, are they the Indian guys who just bought Asda?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I live in Worcestershire and there is no queuing for fuel and all petrol station are running as normal I think we had around four days where there was a problem . If you listen to the news you best get ready for armegedan
Cheltenham is far from normal , lots of service stations are sold out completely, you really have to search, got lucky at number 4 yesterday, Tewkesbury also complete chaos at Bp just off the m5

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
No Q’s for fuel here.

As no fuel. Only a couple of days worth remaining in the tank, then work may have to stop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back