Is this the right time to be traveling around in a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
lol ok
Apart from traveling to the tunnel ( if you have enough fuel to get there ) should we be traveling around the U.K. on holidays given the horrendous fuel situation? 👍🏻😀
There is only a fuel problem because of panic buying..Will soon be normal.BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
hope you reinforced the shelf and their passed the sell by date
I went to take a new pic but wasn't able to find my camera that I last used a week ago photographing a pal's classic motorbike. I think I must've put it down on the car roof, nattered a bit then it probably fell off at some point after I drove away. 😡
I'm still hoping it may turn up at home somewhere daft. I once lost a new headlamp bulb which I'd put on the bench ready to fit. When I came indoors later to make yet another brew I found it in the fridge. :doh:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Ill be heading up to West Yorks, Lincoln, Norfolk Broads & Suffolk coast in near future. Not changing my plans
West yorks hardly a holiday!!!

The sustrans route from Bradford to Shipley is route 66 made me laugh!!!

Cheers James (In Bradford )

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
West yorks hardly a holiday!!!

The sustrans route from Bradford to Shipley is route 66 made me laugh!!!

Cheers James (In Bradford )
Lot of people like to visit Holmefirth, plus my daughter lives 5 mins from the campsite

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can't believe anybody would really consider cancelling touring because of the media hyped fuel distribution problems.

We went into Lincoln on Sunday one car filled up at big Tesco no queue, the other car filled up at the 3rd petrol station they tried (they were worried as light had come on and a 90 odd mile journey).

Today we have been travelling down in the van to Portsmouth 180 miles in theory we had enough just under half a tank, about 250 miles. But we thought if we see some, filled up at the same Very large Tesco's as on the Sunday, no queue. Did pass one independent and a BP with no fuel and Watford Gap had run out.

Most stations we have seen have short queues and both fuels available. It must depend where you live I suppose, but we have been lucky.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Filled up last night as car on last bar and son has driving test tomorrow - no queue and diesel was available. Hoping situation stabilises for our big run from Ayrshire to Folkestone in 10 days time.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I filled up with diesel last Saturday evening before we started our trip on Sunday. No waiting but only one row of pumps in use. I don’t think the crisis had hit our part of Lincolnshire. Whilst we have been in North Yorkshire we havnt seen any hold ups or shortages at filling stations. The Shell garage near York had a tanker delivering.
I have one local trip when we get home then it will be back to managements Polo that has nearly a full tank. By the time we set off for our next trip all this mess might be sorted.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Lot of people like to visit Holmefirth, plus my daughter lives 5 mins from the campsite
I'm only joking some lovely places up here!

Cheers James

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Filled up last night as car on last bar and son has driving test tomorrow - no queue and diesel was available. Hoping situation stabilises for our big run from Ayrshire to Folkestone in 10 days time.
Shame about the restrictions on food imports into EU, because I can no longer pose the question 'Ayrshire Bacon?' ... 'Naw, just warming ma honds ...' :LOL:

Steve

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Our local garage DARoberts at Whitchurch Shropshire has his own tankers so collects from the main depot . Theres no problem getting fuel only that caused by the media,and people filling up when normally they wouldn’t bother.
Not sure about that Flairy, I couldn't resist driving into an empty Shell garage that I was passing today, the only thing that pissed me off a bit was that I could only fit £19.50 into the tank... :giggle:

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Bristol and derby , only allowed £30 and £35 worth at a time today . So that was around 45 litres , just over half a tank so about 260 miles with a tail wind .
Just got around 300 miles to get home so need another splash and dash . Saw a few forecourt’s totally closed , no queues though

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
As there are so many in queues the roads are really quiet perfect for a jolly in the MH :clap2:

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Bristol and derby , only allowed £30 and £35 worth at a time today . So that was around 45 litres , just over half a tank so about 260 miles with a tail wind .
Just got around 300 miles to get home so need another splash and dash . Saw a few forecourt’s totally closed , no queues though
You sum up perfectly the potential problems of touring in the U.K. at the moment . It’s all very well people saying “ no problems here , no shortages it’s just the press making it all up “.
The reality is driving around , hunting and queuing for diesel , hardly a fun holiday . The more I about this the more I think we might just stay local .

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Can't believe anybody would really consider cancelling touring because of the media hyped fuel distribution problems.

We went into Lincoln on Sunday one car filled up at big Tesco no queue, the other car filled up at the 3rd petrol station they tried (they were worried as light had come on and a 90 odd mile journey).

Today we have been travelling down in the van to Portsmouth 180 miles in theory we had enough just under half a tank, about 250 miles. But we thought if we see some, filled up at the same Very large Tesco's as on the Sunday, no queue. Did pass one independent and a BP with no fuel and Watford Gap had run out.

Most stations we have seen have short queues and both fuels available. It must depend where you live I suppose, but we have been lucky.
I think it is a very sensible question when some of our key workers are finding it difficult to find places to fill up with fuel. Hopefully the shortage will be over soon. We have become a bit like the Americans as long as the politicians keep the price beef low, firearms for all and have access to cheap fuel everybody’s happy - quite the reverse if not.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
On our way from Dorset to Yorkshire on Monday we found a number of Fuel stations with no queues but they didn’t have any fuel either! We did manage to get some in the end thank goodness so managed to relax and enjoy our visit to York. Not a patch on Chester though Carol! Our opinion may have been tainted slightly by the fact that we only really came for our hab check which was booked for today and it got cancelled on Monday due to Covid, hardly their fault that we were nearly here by then! We have to come again on 1st December, damn it. £12 to see the cathedral, sod that for a game of soldiers.

We have enough to get home plus a trip to Poole for the 2 yr engine service and then Highlands end to use up the booking from Wombles do earlier in the year that we cancelled when darling daughter was home on leave from Bangladesh.

I know from Facebook that the fuel problems locally are ongoing, for diesel in particular. I suppose it’s rural.

Not worried about Turkeys as Nick’s the only meat eater and he is just glad to be served meat :giggle:

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
We live just outside the city and have 2 stations very near to us. As soon as either of these get a delivery its posted on face book and everyone rushes there. 3 hours and station empty again.

But travel 6 miles away and 2 garages have limited amounts and no problems.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
You sum up perfectly the potential problems of touring in the U.K. at the moment . It’s all very well people saying “ no problems here , no shortages it’s just the press making it all up “.
The reality is driving around , hunting and queuing for diesel , hardly a fun holiday . The more I about this the more I think we might just stay local .
We didn’t hunt around . Just lucky petrol stations on our route we’re open , so in we popped . I was wrong about Derby it was Burton on Trent 🤔, I was just driving , not navigating 😊
And the same station outside burton was open today so now splashed and dashed and will be able to get home , with a couple of overnights .

frenchie 79

Free Member
May 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Given the current fuel situation should we be traveling around in our motorhomes in the U.K. ?
We have a couple of trips coming up but thinking of changing the plans and staying close to home to support the local campsite as we only have a small amount of diesel.
Not sure if anyone else is thinking of changing their plans ?
We are on our way to the NC500.We are leaving castle point campsite today & off to Pitlochry.We have worked all through covid,looked after both elderly parents & granchildren.Our first 2 weeks holiday & no Iam not giving it up.We filled up after last trip away so still got enough to get to Pitlochry.If we can’t get fuel we will stay where we run out for 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 9F563050-35AB-4714-BB7D-1BE19FC4B716.jpeg
    9F563050-35AB-4714-BB7D-1BE19FC4B716.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 9
Jul 8, 2016
Carshalton
Funster No
MH
Nuevo II 2010
Exp
Since 1993
We've just come back from a 3 week tour of Dorset, Devon and Somerset. Wonderfully refreshing to have short hops to great campsites and see some beautiful countryside and quaint villages in the process. Weve usually given England a miss in favour of an Autumn trip to France but this has been just as enjoyable. Never had a problem checking into campsites at short notice at average £20 per night but more importantly fuel was available even if you had to pass a few with no diesel at the precise time we were looking. There will always be one with availability. As usual it's all hysteria. Just keep the tank topped up as you go along!!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
There isn’t a fuel situation. There is a situation with a sensationalist media and a selfish population who believe any rumours and falsehoods despite the facts. Who needs to worry about major problems and shortages when we can create our own any time we wish.
Like it or not, there is a "fuel situation" - at least here in the SE. There are 8 filling stations within 5 or 6 miles of my (rural) house five of them have been without fuel of any description for two or three days at a time, the rest maybe diesel or unleaded only and less than half the pumps going anyway. In a population dense area with next to no reliable public transport, that's a "fuel situation" however you look at it and whatever the cause.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Like it or not, there is a "fuel situation" - at least here in the SE. There are 8 filling stations within 5 or 6 miles of my (rural) house five of them have been without fuel of any description for two or three days at a time, the rest maybe diesel or unleaded only and less than half the pumps going anyway. In a population dense area with next to no reliable public transport, that's a "fuel situation" however you look at it and whatever the cause.
I take your point, but. It isn’t a fuel situation. There is plenty of fuel, it’s just not in the right place in the right quantity for current demand. It’s a supply situation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back