is this the future, a snip at 200 Grand for a Coach Built (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Claimed range of 400km (250m) means in real life you might get 125 miles.
If it had a genuine 250 mile range and every Aire had charging points & it was an A Class and cost less than €100,000 I might show some interest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
On board Diesel Genny sorted ?
1567715323918.png

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
...and no mention of payload that I've come across so far ..?

A bit of googling indicates a 100 KWh Tesla battery weighs very roughly 600Kg ( I think this van has 108 KWh) and then you have to addd the motors. A mid size Diesel engine ...say 180Kg? Thats a fair old penalty if correct

Last edited:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Overnighting at a charging point doesn't seem a practical option at present AFAICS. He a;so mentioned that on a 13A site EHU it would take overnight or days...o_O

It's worth pointing out that, a) many sites in France and elsewhere are only 6A, and b) are site owners really going to welcome someone intending to rip as much juice out of their supply as they can? A lot of sites include say, 4KWh, in their charge and then charge per KW above that.

I don't know that much about leccy vehicles, TBH, as I've no wish (and can't afford!) to own one with the present state of battery technology. Presumably if it's a 108KWh battery it's going to need 100KW or thereabouts for a charge?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Why the negativity? It’s a start. Prices will come down, range will go up and charging will get sorted. We’re maybe still 5 years away from it being ready for the mass market but without research and innovation progress won’t happen ?.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
and should it be dark or raining..............headlights, wipers...........less range for sure methinks

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Great idea, but they need to invest in the charging infrastructure. A couple of small car sized charging bays in a car park isn’t going to help much, there aren’t even enough points for cars

It’s ridiculously expensive though, around €50k for the van, then €150k for the electric motor and batteries?
Not for me....

Last edited:

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Very brave, visionary, ......or foolhardy manufacturer’s I would suggest.
Being at the cutting edge of leisure vehicle development... of “gin palaces” sounds like a very high risk area.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The campsites in Spain charge 40c/kwh so a charge from flat will cost you €40.

That's €40 for 125 miles ? diesel would be cheaper. With so many disadvantages these vehicles are probably 20 years away from being practical. If ever. Something else might come along first like Fusion power ?

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
My wife has the golf GTE which has an engine but can run supposedly 35 miles on pure electric we get about 25 in truth but she only runs round town in it and she has done 7000 miles now and put less than £200 worth of fuel in it since new.

The main problem we found on a longer run is the charging points they are all owned by different companies and you need about 20 different apps to be sure of being able to charge and some you have to have credit on the account to charge.

I still think we are many many years away from pure electric working as it needs too and this MH would not fit in 90% of the charging bays either, nice thought but a long way off yet

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Why the negativity? It’s a start. Prices will come down, range will go up and charging will get sorted. We’re maybe still 5 years away from it being ready for the mass market but without research and innovation progress won’t happen ?.
quite so, and good-oh (I think) but in the meantime it's an extremely expensive 'soak test'

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
My wife has the golf GTE which has an engine but can run supposedly 35 miles on pure electric we get about 25 in truth but she only runs round town in it and she has done 7000 miles now and put less than £200 worth of fuel in it since new.

The main problem we found on a longer run is the charging points they are all owned by different companies and you need about 20 different apps to be sure of being able to charge and some you have to have credit on the account to charge.

I still think we are many many years away from pure electric working as it needs too and this MH would not fit in 90% of the charging bays either, nice thought but a long way off yet
I think the different charging bays should be standardised - like wot we have for diesel/petrol (don't know about lpg but assume it's a standardised filling point). In fact, I know nothing about this electrickery for vehicles - but I've started so I'll finish - and express my opinion unfounded in either experience or knowledge :) happy to be proven wrong (this time anyway) lol

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hydrogen may also be the way forward for larger vehicles ... I’ve harped on about it before as a friend of mine is MD of a company trialling hydrogen powered trucks ... looks like there’s interest in this closer to home ....

I was talking to someone about some way out performances at Tectonics - a festival of ‘new’ ground breaking music in Glasgow. He is much cleverer than I am and what he said stuck with me .... if there isn’t all this ‘froth’ of experimentation the big breakthroughs will never happen. Only with the perspective of history will we know which ones were significant.

I often think of that discussion and really believe it applies to the current debate on fuel ...

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Induction charging structure imbedded in the roads is the only practical way and the cost would make HS2 look cheap. Not in my lifetime.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
their were a few prota types in almost all thing till thaiy got it right good luck to them hopefully they will crack the battery thing.
and give us a working version
bill

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Hydrogen may also be the way forward for larger vehicles ... I’ve harped on about it before as a friend of mine is MD of a company trialling hydrogen powered trucks ... looks like there’s interest in this closer to home ....

I was talking to someone about some way out performances at Tectonics - a festival of ‘new’ ground breaking music in Glasgow. He is much cleverer than I am and what he said stuck with me .... if there isn’t all this ‘froth’ of experimentation the big breakthroughs will never happen. Only with the perspective of history will we know which ones were significant.

I often think of that discussion and really believe it applies to the current debate on fuel ...
In 1990 I lived in Romania for 4 years. They had hydrogen powered buses then

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.

Agreed the other problem everyone forgets is its all vey well having tens of thousands of charge points but you have to generate the lecky to feed them and at present in UK we have nowhere near enough spare capacity to replace all those petrol and diesel filling stations.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Yes we do. It's no different than everyone getting home at 5pm and putting the hob, kettle tv and oven on and cooking dinner. We don't suffer power cuts when that happens and and it won't happen for car chargers

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
To recap then..

Too expensive.
Too heavy.
Not enough range.
No charging infrastructure.
Not enough grid charging capacity.

Then what about the cab heater? Heated seats won't cut it on a frosty morning ? oh yeah, you can always use the gas ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back