Is this the end of the line for my Leisure battery ? (3 Viewers)

May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Hello.
I’m new to this forum, but not new to caravans and motorhomes. I currently own an elderly (2013) Adria Matrix Axess M590SG, in which we have toured much of France and some of Spain.
During the winter months the van is stored at home, is run regularly, even if just to the supermarket, and ‘hooked-up’ to mains at regular intervals.
The other day I checked the battery condition and the ‘magic’ control panel revealed that the leisure battery was down to 0%.
The motorhome had been hooked up overnight a couple of days previously, and had been driven a 25-mile round trip a few days before that. Everything had seemed to be fine on the electrical front.
I was a bit dischuffed to see ‘Nul Points’ on the control panel.
I suspect that the 11-year-old leisure battery may have given up the ghost?
It is an Exide ES900 12v 80Ah Gel unit, and to date it has given no problems but it is past the average life-span of batteries of its type, . . . . I think.
Nevertheless, I hooked-up and left the unit on charge for 24 hours, after which time everything seemed to be OK. Indications on the control panel were all back to the expected readings (100%). (When charging, initially, the control panel read 14.1volts)
So, I unhooked from the mains and rechecked the readings after a further 24 hours; the battery was showing 96%.
After a further 24 hours the reading was 91%.
24 hours later it was reading 23%.
As far as I am aware, there is nothing connected to the leisure battery that could cause such a sudden drain; the alarm system is operated via the main battery.
Now, I am a mechanically minded chap, who has been in engineering all his life, but to me, electrical stuff is a black art, which I never mastered.
My assumption is that the elderly battery is ‘goosed, (a technical term) but before I lash out on a replacement, I thought that I might enquire of the more knowledgeable chaps on this forum as to what, if anything, might otherwise be the cause of the problem.
I have tested all the kit that functions on 12 volts, and seen the expected voltage drop on the control panel as various items were operated.
Maybe the only option is to buy a new battery and then see what happens, but any info or advice would be most welcome.

OP
OP
Montezuma
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
After recharging I tested with a multimeter, and the indication was just a tad lower than that shown on the panel. 13.9v.

I am now in the process of recharging for one more time, and then I will just check to see the battery voltages over the next few days.

It's a bit of a pain, but I am in no rush to buy a new battery, if the battery itself is not the problem.

OP
OP
Montezuma
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Tired batteries that are old or have been discharged too deeply, too many times can appear to charge and look relatively healthy. But they'll have a much reduced capacity and often collapse when a heavy load is put on them.
Indeed, that is true, but during the short period over which I was testing this particular battery, no heavy loads had been applied, and the battery has never been flattened previously ?
As a matter of interest, the battery was not hot after charging, and the terminals and connections were all pristine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I thought that I might enquire of the more knowledgeable chaps on this forum
And you'd be reet
My assumption is that the elderly battery is ‘goosed
and again you'd be reet Montezuma

as a famous person called Cleese once said (almost)

"Look, my lad, I know a dead battery when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now."

it's goosed me owld mucker, as long as you want anything more than 20 mins light use that is.
It is a dead battery
deceased...
is no more
It's stone dead
its an EX Battery

And welcome aboard, theres plenty advice here on whats best to replace, aswell as motorhome fun discounts if you are a paid up member with various outlets including batteries.

OP
OP
Montezuma
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
And you'd be reet
and again you'd be reet Montezuma

as a famous person called Cleese once said (almost)

"Look, my lad, I know a dead battery when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now."

it's goosed me owld mucker, as long as you want anything more than 20 mins light use that is.
It is a dead battery
deceased...
is no more
It's stone dead
its an EX Battery

And welcome aboard, theres plenty advice here on whats best to replace, aswell as motorhome fun discounts if you are a paid up member with various outlets including batteries.
Just for once, it seems as if I was right.

I have spotted this one.

ES900 EXIDE G80 MARINE LEISURE EQUIPMENT GEL BATTERY 80AH​

Seems like a good deal ?

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
And you'd be reet

Just for once, it seems as if I was right.

I have spotted this one.

ES900 EXIDE G80 MARINE LEISURE EQUIPMENT GEL BATTERY 80AH​

Seems like a good deal ?

Installed two of them last weekend to replace my seven-year-old AGM’s.

OP
OP
Montezuma
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Here I am again, having run a lengthy, and probably pointless, test on the leisure battery, . . . . . . . . . and paid my subs !

I have run the test because I was in no hurry to spend cash in an unnecessary fashion.

Initially I fully charged the leisure battery one more time.

The control panel reading during initial charging was 14.3 Volts / 100%

After 24 hours on charge, I disconnected from the mains, and checked the control panel readings; 13.4 volts / 100%

A Multimeter reading across the battery terminals with the control panel 'Off', showed a slightly higher voltage, 13.59v, than the control panel.

I then ensured that there was absolutely nothing in the motorhome that was consuming power from the leisure battery.

Each day I checked the readings, as the suspect battery gradually diminished in capacity, and I gradually lost the will to live.

On the eighth day (beyond biblical limitations here) the the control panel reading was 12.3volts / 76%; and the Multimeter showed 12.59 volts.

I have just braved the torrential rain, which has not let up all day, and checked the control panel readings for the 9th consecutive day.

The control panel indicated 10.5 volts and showed 0%, while the multimeter showed just 10.79v.

Obviously the battery is completely flattened !

I am inclined to think that this sort of performance, or lack of it, reinforces the fact that the battery is indeed finished.

The only other practical test I can think of would be to fully charge once more, and then simulate a long un-hooked-up-weekend, by running the fridge, lights and maybe even heating the water?

BUT - Is it worth it ?

Answers on a postcard to "Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol". (Not really; anyway, only elderly Radio Luxembourg listeners would understand that).;) :giggle:

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Here I am again, having run a lengthy, and probably pointless, test on the leisure battery, . . . . . . . . . and paid my subs !

I have run the test because I was in no hurry to spend cash in an unnecessary fashion.

Initially I fully charged the leisure battery one more time.

The control panel reading during initial charging was 14.3 Volts / 100%

After 24 hours on charge, I disconnected from the mains, and checked the control panel readings; 13.4 volts / 100%

A Multimeter reading across the battery terminals with the control panel 'Off', showed a slightly higher voltage, 13.59v, than the control panel.

I then ensured that there was absolutely nothing in the motorhome that was consuming power from the leisure battery.

Each day I checked the readings, as the suspect battery gradually diminished in capacity, and I gradually lost the will to live.

On the eighth day (beyond biblical limitations here) the the control panel reading was 12.3volts / 76%; and the Multimeter showed 12.59 volts.

I have just braved the torrential rain, which has not let up all day, and checked the control panel readings for the 9th consecutive day.

The control panel indicated 10.5 volts and showed 0%, while the multimeter showed just 10.79v.

Obviously the battery is completely flattened !

I am inclined to think that this sort of performance, or lack of it, reinforces the fact that the battery is indeed finished.

The only other practical test I can think of would be to fully charge once more, and then simulate a long un-hooked-up-weekend, by running the fridge, lights and maybe even heating the water?

BUT - Is it worth it ?

Answers on a postcard to "Horace Batchelor, Department One, Keynsham, spelt K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol". (Not really; anyway, only elderly Radio Luxembourg listeners would understand that).;) :giggle:
Hi
It is highly unlikely that you could run the fridge and heat water using a leisure battery. Your vehicle just isn't wired up like that. Please do as advised and fit a new battery. Even if the old one is not fully goosed, at 11 years it will be way past its best.

Geoff

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
BUT - Is it worth it ?
Yeah it's worth it...you'll get an hour out of it :giggle:

Take it down the scrapper and get paid for it pal it's gone.
She had a good innings but it's time to let her go

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back