Is motorhoming for me? (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I have been looking for my first MH for a few months now... It has been really interesting reading the various threads here on all aspects of the "hobby' (?), and usually there is a full 360 degree range of views and opinions on the 'opinion' topics. Great!

Having read a couple of recent topics, two in particular, I realise that I am a bit doubtful if it is for me. So I would appreciate the benefit of your experienced feedback!
1. Security....I was recently reading the trending thread on MH security / break-ins etc. As I will be a solo traveller, and hope to be on mainland Europe, I was a bit frightened by the various tales of break-ins while unattended but also and especially, break-ins happening even while occupants were asleep at night.!!:eek:
Is this frequent ?....I think that being constantly worried about MH and personal security would take any good out of the adventure for me, as I'm not as fit as I used to be!.....I am quite happy to invest in security measures, locks, alarms or whatever, but I would like to feel that reasonable precautions would be enough?
Am I getting paranoid or being naive ??o_O

2. My Technical ignorance & lack of interest!! I can see from reading on here the depth of knowledge and experience that some members have. Generally this leaves me feeling unskilled and deficient. I was in the contracting business for years so have owned a good amount of vehicles and types of plant, machinery & equipment etc. So I have done a bit of spannering and bashing about with a vice-grip etc.....but mostly, liked to keep good gear and get experts to maintain/repair etc as necessary. My MH plan was to buy something not more than 4/5 years old which would be hassle free in terms of electrics/plumbing/mechanicals/ etc. Is this realistic, ?...or is it necessary to be at least a beginner hobbyist in these matters?
I know this is probably heretical for some on here, but I literally have no interest in how the thing might work, only that it does work!:LOL:
Am I dreaming?

Thanks for your thoughts

Kilroy

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Provided you take sensible security measures, you really shouldn't worry.

The issue over not being interested in the technical side is perhaps more of a concern for you.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If we all worried about what MIGHT happen none of us would leave the safety of home.
Buy a decent quality van that has been cared for and serviced, if money allows, from a good dealer that has a decent reputation for after sales service.
Add a 'proper' alarm system that you can set at night, VanBitz Growler is always the 'go to' on Fun.
Then get out and about and enjoy. (y)

Always lots of help and advice available here if you need it.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
If we all worried about what MIGHT happen none of us would leave the safety of home.
Buy a decent quality van that has been cared for and serviced, if money allows, from a good dealer that has a decent reputation for after sales service.
Add a 'proper' alarm system that you can set at night, VanBitz Growler is always the 'go to' on Fun.
Then get out and about and enjoy. (y)

Always lots of help and advice available here if you need it.

Richard.
Thanks for that. What you describe is in line with my original plan..but ran into some self-doubt as above....I guess I'm just having a basic sanity check on here!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
if we all worried about what MIGHT happen none of us would leave the safety of home......very true!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I take you don't even own a car ?, car, motorhome, is there such a big difference on security and maintenance ?
I would hazard a guess that more cars are broken into that motorhomes.
yup......starting to land on more solid ground here....thanks for that. (3 cars in the yard at the moment..never had one stolen or broken into)

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
And there is nothing to say your safe in your own home.
it’ll be expensive but why not hire one for a week in Ireland and try it when your allowed to leave your home county

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I am a solo traveling female, I prefer remote "wild camping", my security is provided by my two (recently become tbree) dogs.
They have never needed to choose between eating an intruder or licking them to death!
My mechanical skills are absolutely zilch, my interest in the topic tbe same. I can check my oil level and top up tbe windscreen washer. I rely on my van being serviced once a year by people I trust.
Maybe posting this is tempting fate but I'll keep my fingers crossed. 😁

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
I think you can pick up on what you need to know (maintenance wise) as you get closer to a purchase and when starting out. I have got lazy as I get older and haven't undertaken any DIY on cars for years (been lucky enough to not have to), but was aware I would need to make the effort if we bought a van. We did and I have (and am still learning).

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In realality very few Motorhomes are broken into, best security advice is when you park up be aware of surroundings, it it doesn't feel safe move on. And of course always set your alarm.

Plenty of help on here if you have technical problems, the only real technical thing are the electrics like everything electric got too smart for there own good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
And there is nothing to say your safe in your own home.
it’ll be expensive but why not hire one for a week in Ireland and try it when your allowed to leave your home county
I guess I know my own country pretty well and would rely on my basic knowledge and local 'cop on' to keep me safe round here....not quite the same overseas............and though I live in a quiet & safe area, I take your point.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I am a solo traveling female, I prefer remote "wild camping", my security is provided by my two (recently become tbree) dogs.
They have never needed to choose between eating an intruder or licking them to death!
My mechanical skills are absolutely zilch, my interest in the topic tbe same. I can check my oil level and top up tbe windscreen washer. I rely on my van being serviced once a year by people I trust.
Maybe posting this is tempting fate but I'll keep my fingers crossed. 😁
Hopefully NOT tempting fate!
Thanks for that reassuring reply......(I have been a lifelong German Shepherd keeper....though after the last heartbreaker I need a rest fro that!....not sure I would bring one with me touring in europe..)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
In realality very few Motorhomes are broken into, best security advice is when you park up be aware of surroundings, it it doesn't feel safe move on. And of course always set your alarm.

Plenty of help on here if you have technical problems, the only real technical thing are the electrics like everything electric got too smart for there own good.

Thanks Lenny...I guess all the horror stories concentrated in one thread spooked me.
I've been following your German trip, and wish you a full and speedy recovery. I enjoyed your bah!humbug! style of account of the german hospital!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I think you can pick up on what you need to know (maintenance wise) as you get closer to a purchase and when starting out. I have got lazy as I get older and haven't undertaken any DIY on cars for years (been lucky enough to not have to), but was aware I would need to make the effort if we bought a van. We did and I have (and am still learning).
Thanks for that.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The internet is a great place to frighten oneself from reading too many horror stories. And trouble is that most who have reached the stage of posting their troubles will highlight all the gory details. But those issues will be in the minority and the vast majority will never have such difficulties.

Motorhoming security will be like most walks of life and needs you to take a little responsibility for your self. You'll never stop the determined, and to that extent it's the same wondering when your home will be burgled. Think about where you park, busy places with lots of people around looking for an easy target, such as motorway aires, might not be a good thing, but a nice quiet beachfront perhaps frequented by a couple of other campers could be a good thing. There may not always be safety in numbers, before Covid closed them many of the Camping in the Forest sites, some of which had 500+ pitches, always warned you about bike thefts. Harden the vehicle to make someone else look like a soft target. The Vanbitz alarms (others are available) are great with their multi language warning stickers, and bright flashing LEDs, and ability to set the alarm whilst you are in the van. You can also add other stuff like extra locks on windows.

As for things going wrong, sounds like you have some skills. Yes on here there are a number of very knowledgeable experienced people. Many of us know the right end of a screwdriver and can prod around a bit but won't know what we are doing until we've spent a few hours trawling through your tube and asking on here. Part of the joy of owning your toy is finding out how to deal with it's little idiosyncrasies and how to adapt to them, or adapt them to you.

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
look at number of motorhomes registered in this country and compare with number of reported ‘incidents’
standard Motorhome insurance / breakdown / recovery should cover most failure situations.
the rest, the fiddly bits, inside the van are probably simpler than you think and abyway you could manage short term if something fails.
e.g water pump - buy water at supermarket, etc.
go for it

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
On our first trip in our first van in 2007 my wife was terminally ill at the time and whilst looking around Barcelona the van had an attempted break in, luckily the door held fast. On the same day the water heater packed in, nine weeks later we were home after getting as far as Gibralter.
After 15 months of hassle the dealer finally agreed to pay to have my fourth van rectified, and this coming Friday a separate issue is being attended to by another company.
I am still debating myself wether it is the life style/hobby for me.
I got home three weeks ago after a glorious three weeks wild camping in Scotland and in November 2018 l decided on a whim to drive to Ypres for the weekend for the centenary commemorations of the end of WW1.
Just do it (y)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Kilroy, I get all the points and worries you raise..we had no clue..( Really still don't :clap: ) but the thought was always there,,if we had the money would we like a Motorhome?,
the opportunity quite miraculously came up, we jumped in..we've only had Zebedee just 1 year now..we love the freedom, it can offer ( yes been a really crappy year for many) but we all will be out to play(y) soon..Try and remind yourself why you Liked the idea in the 1st place, yes we still worry, but having the support/ advice here is definitely something to keep your dream alive..Good luck.

:giggle:

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Hopefully NOT tempting fate!
Thanks for that reassuring reply......(I have been a lifelong German Shepherd keeper....though after the last heartbreaker I need a rest fro that!....not sure I would bring one with me touring in europe..)

Many moho owners travel/tour with their dogs and the dogs certainly enjoy the experience.
I left UK (Highlands) nearly four years ago in a new to me, older motorhome with my two dogs: an older bearded collie and a young rescue border collie, we crossed the channel on the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe and headed South.
I had never driven on the continent before and was terrified but it was a case of "face the fear and do it anyway".
Myself and the dogs spent that first Xmas a few days later on a small camp site just South of Valencia on the shores of the Mediterranean in the company of another British motorhoming couple.
Spain is now my home, since that first journey I have travelled to and fro the Highlands many times, had lots of fun adventures and put my trust in strangers. None of them have ever let me down or sort to do me harm in any way.
I still don't 'do' built up areas though cos I am and always will be a country hick. 😊

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I think the suggestion of hiring and staying local is a good one - see if it's for you before committing

I also think that many of the security measures taken by motohomers does more for to peace of mind of the motorhomer than anything else - nothing wrong with that

Certainly, motorhomes are getting more & more complicated with more & more features, all have the chance to go wrong, but generally there is little that you can't work round until you can fix it/get it fixed

With all that, as I've often said, I am not a proper motorhomer - I just use one to get me & my toys to where I want to be and sleep in it if I can't find a descent hotel🙂

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Kilroy not being racist, after multiple visits from a certain group from your country, we have upped the security on all our vehicles, not just the motorhome when at home. We are far less worried when out in the van, as we choose to avoid high risk places, like motorway aires and supermarkets near the channel ports

As for maintenance on a motorhome, if you pay to keep on top of servicing, no more risk than driving a car. Breakdown cover for the mechanicals, every time. The basic habitation ongoing maintenance is tighten a few screws now and then and understanding your batteries, which is far easier than you may think. You don't need to be a mechanical genius and electrical engineer at all.

If anything major breaks when you are away, there are mobile leisure vehicle fitters all over the place that will come to you and solve your dilema. Or ask a question on here and helpful advice is quickly given

Upvote 0

Deleted User
When it comes to security the insurance industry probably have a formula which calculates the risk of something happening and then having to deal with a claim which could be expensive for them. If your worries were founded premiums would be unaffordable for most and the motorhoming lifestyle would look entirely different and consequently there would be less of us. So, premiums are affordable which demonstrates that incidents and claims are extremely rare.
When it comes to experience if you choose to learn from any source you will gain knowledge and as you go through your motorhoming life you will have experiences, over time combining these 2 facets will give you wisdom and the longer this goes on the wiser you will get....... we've all had to do it.
Finally, at the start stick to sites to build your confidence in getting to know your van and when you're there talk to people, they're usually keen to help and will advise you of any potential pitfalls and don't forget to use the Search facility here for anything you're not sure of.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Like all stories and tales when they get told they often end up like the fishermen’s tales.... it was this big..:pinocchio:

a break in or attempted break in the motorhome is probably less likely then the house across the road from you bing broken into.. there are lots of single men and women travelling around on their own and some full time.... when I go shopping I don’t particularly think about getting run over by a bus but you never know I might one day..😱 I hope you see where I’m coming from....

as for the technical side you don’t have to know how to fix things but you would want know what may need fixing by “a professional” if you had an understanding of how most things worked.....

good luck...👍🏼

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Hi Kilroy not being racist, after multiple visits from a certain group from your country, we have upped the security on all our vehicles, not just the motorhome when at home. We are far less worried when out in the van, as we choose to avoid high risk places, like motorway aires and supermarkets near the channel ports.

In reality there very little chance of a traveller issue, yes it happens but we paddy’s are generally honest, generous and helpful

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just my experience for what it is worth.

I bought our MH privately at 6 years old. We have had it for 11 years and do nearly all wildcamping and Aires.

On security I never really thought about it in the 2 years travelling alone and not since. We have an alarm but do not set it at night now - I was the one who used to set it off going for a P without neutralising it. I never read stories about break-ins - stop reading them and get away.

On the mechanical side we have had little problem. Had I bought from a dealer with a 3-year warranty it would have never been called on. The things that have broken in 11 years are, and this may be typical.

FIAT base vehicle

1 Oil pressure transmitter in Germany - I was sure not big problem because oil was full and no noises.
2. Radiator leaked and replaced after 15 years - normal wear.

Habitation

1. Bits of plastic in fridge and door retainer
2. Micro switch on tap - found dealer, bought off shelf, opened tap and replaced in their yard (30 mins.)
3. Minor window leak. Bodged with filler till passing N&B who repaired properly.
4. Water pump - just wear probably, most carry a spare. Repaired myself, push fit and 2 wires.

Nearly every smaller MH has a FIAT engine. Just look after them(oil change annually and fan belt every 5 years). I have good commercial garage with probably more experience than most dealers - and cheaper

The N&B build is good quality and probably accounts for low breakages on that side. Nothing has come loose/fallen apart.

Geoff

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
In reality there very little chance of a traveller issue, yes it happens but we paddy’s are generally honest, generous and helpful
Completely agree about the vast majority of Irish people. I nearly married a lovely Irish girl when I worked over there.
Sadly though it has been a constant drip drip drip of Irish travellers knocking the door. Also a local police contact has said that every time the travellers come visiting the area, thefts of and from vans sky rockets.

I know of several vans traced after a while after being stolen found on travellers sites and the police are not allowed to act. Yes I realise that not all travellers are Irish, but the ones we have been having trouble with all are. The Irish government made it impossible for their travelling community to stay in Ireland because of their behaviour. Most are now over in the UK causing mayhem and stealing with total impunity

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Completely agree about the vast majority of Irish people. I nearly married a lovely Irish girl when I worked over there.
Sadly though it has been a constant drip drip drip of Irish travellers knocking the door. Also a local police contact has said that every time the travellers come visiting the area, thefts of and from vans sky rockets.

I know of several vans traced after a while after being stolen found on travellers sites and the police are not allowed to act. Yes I realise that not all travellers are Irish, but the ones we have been having trouble with all are. The Irish government made it impossible for their travelling community to stay in Ireland because of their behaviour. Most are now over in the UK causing mayhem and stealing with total impunity

Completely correct John, but the numbers are very small unless your unlucky enough to live in certain areas, and even then it’s not like Pickeys are stalking every MH.

The issue with MH security is we have invested lots of our hard earned money and the thing is precious to us, so we tend to be over protective to our personal asset. Not unreasonable but chances of a traveler attack are slim, and as long as you’ve taken precautions your safe.

If you really want an issue buy a Brian James car trailer, they love them, I sold mine after the 5th time it was nicked, always got it back (hidden tracker) but just gave up after it was lifted over an 8 feet wall.

Anyway Kilroy, it’s a marmite thing, you’ll either love it or hate it. No mid point with a MH, you may find the first one is the wrong van for you, but your either going to do it for life or walk away in no time

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back