Is motorhoming for me? (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I have been looking for my first MH for a few months now... It has been really interesting reading the various threads here on all aspects of the "hobby' (?), and usually there is a full 360 degree range of views and opinions on the 'opinion' topics. Great!

Having read a couple of recent topics, two in particular, I realise that I am a bit doubtful if it is for me. So I would appreciate the benefit of your experienced feedback!
1. Security....I was recently reading the trending thread on MH security / break-ins etc. As I will be a solo traveller, and hope to be on mainland Europe, I was a bit frightened by the various tales of break-ins while unattended but also and especially, break-ins happening even while occupants were asleep at night.!!:eek:
Is this frequent ?....I think that being constantly worried about MH and personal security would take any good out of the adventure for me, as I'm not as fit as I used to be!.....I am quite happy to invest in security measures, locks, alarms or whatever, but I would like to feel that reasonable precautions would be enough?
Am I getting paranoid or being naive ??o_O

2. My Technical ignorance & lack of interest!! I can see from reading on here the depth of knowledge and experience that some members have. Generally this leaves me feeling unskilled and deficient. I was in the contracting business for years so have owned a good amount of vehicles and types of plant, machinery & equipment etc. So I have done a bit of spannering and bashing about with a vice-grip etc.....but mostly, liked to keep good gear and get experts to maintain/repair etc as necessary. My MH plan was to buy something not more than 4/5 years old which would be hassle free in terms of electrics/plumbing/mechanicals/ etc. Is this realistic, ?...or is it necessary to be at least a beginner hobbyist in these matters?
I know this is probably heretical for some on here, but I literally have no interest in how the thing might work, only that it does work!:LOL:
Am I dreaming?

Thanks for your thoughts

Kilroy

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
On our first trip in our first van in 2007 my wife was terminally ill at the time and whilst looking around Barcelona the van had an attempted break in, luckily the door held fast. On the same day the water heater packed in, nine weeks later we were home after getting as far as Gibralter.
After 15 months of hassle the dealer finally agreed to pay to have my fourth van rectified, and this coming Friday a separate issue is being attended to by another company.
I am still debating myself wether it is the life style/hobby for me.
I got home three weeks ago after a glorious three weeks wild camping in Scotland and in November 2018 l decided on a whim to drive to Ypres for the weekend for the centenary commemorations of the end of WW1.
Just do it (y)
Thanks for sharing your story which is so true to life.... "still debating myself"...isn't that the way of it..life is seldom crystal clear or ultimately resolved. thanks again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Kilroy, I get all the points and worries you raise..we had no clue..( Really still don't :clap: ) but the thought was always there,,if we had the money would we like a Motorhome?,
the opportunity quite miraculously came up, we jumped in..we've only had Zebedee just 1 year now..we love the freedom, it can offer ( yes been a really crappy year for many) but we all will be out to play(y) soon..Try and remind yourself why you Liked the idea in the 1st place, yes we still worry, but having the support/ advice here is definitely something to keep your dream alive..Good luck.

:giggle:
Thanks Snoopy. The support of the community on here is definitely a very big plus factor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I think the suggestion of hiring and staying local is a good one - see if it's for you before committing

I also think that many of the security measures taken by motohomers does more for to peace of mind of the motorhomer than anything else - nothing wrong with that

Certainly, motorhomes are getting more & more complicated with more & more features, all have the chance to go wrong, but generally there is little that you can't work round until you can fix it/get it fixed

With all that, as I've often said, I am not a proper motorhomer - I just use one to get me & my toys to where I want to be and sleep in it if I can't find a descent hotel🙂
In a way yes similarly, I'm not so interested in the MH as such, just a way of travelling independently travelling and being 'at home' with some of my stuff, not packing & unpacking a case every couple of days.
Thanks Nasher

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Hi Kilroy not being racist, after multiple visits from a certain group from your country, we have upped the security on all our vehicles, not just the motorhome when at home. We are far less worried when out in the van, as we choose to avoid high risk places, like motorway aires and supermarkets near the channel ports

As for maintenance on a motorhome, if you pay to keep on top of servicing, no more risk than driving a car. Breakdown cover for the mechanicals, every time. The basic habitation ongoing maintenance is tighten a few screws now and then and understanding your batteries, which is far easier than you may think. You don't need to be a mechanical genius and electrical engineer at all.

If anything major breaks when you are away, there are mobile leisure vehicle fitters all over the place that will come to you and solve your dilema. Or ask a question on here and helpful advice is quickly given
Cheers. yes, I'd say the battery/electrics are probably the most daunting subject , though as you say probably not insurmountable

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
It’s worth pointing out that MH prices are high just now, but generally they hold their money so the financial gamble is quite manageable.

Renting for a week was a good leaning curve for us, it gave us a chance to work out if it was for us, but also what we wanted from the van, the outcome was quite an eye opener.

The MH we chose was perfect, and I don’t think we would have got it right without that weeks hire.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Thanks much for all those replies. And forgive me if I haven't answered all replies individually.
I think that I have gotten through my wobble with the help of sensible and wise feedback on here, which is what I asked for!
This site/forum really is a rare community of goodwill in a time when there is so much bad behaviour and outright nastiness online in many forums.
Much appreciated.
Hopefully we all get safely through this c19 phase and can get back out there. And also hopefully the MH prices will have cooled down by then.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
It’s worth pointing out that MH prices are high just now, but generally they hold their money so the financial gamble is quite manageable.

Renting for a week was a good leaning curve for us, it gave us a chance to work out if it was for us, but also what we wanted from the van, the outcome was quite an eye opener.

The MH we chose was perfect, and I don’t think we would have got it right without that weeks hire.
Thanks
I was due to go to Germany in September to sit in a number of MHs to get a sense of whether I like what I think I will like!...I have a list of what I think will suit' but nothing much to see nearby where I live, so I'll have to wait for the general c19 situation to improve so I can travel

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We book the ferry, and wing it thereafter. Wandering here and there, stopping where we feel like, and relaxing.
Never had a break in or attempted break in (and that can occur on your driveway). And as for being 'gassed' don't believe it!
I fix things that fail along the way, and if I can't, there's a workshop that can.

Craig

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Kilroy with regards to personal safety, we rented before we bought (which turned out great) and were desperate to try wild calling. I was a bit restless the first night (my partner's snores showed that she wasn't!!) but all was well. We now call a longer ratchet strap to secure the front doors and the habitation for is alarmed, but I think it's more for my peace of mind than anything else.

Upvote 0

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Life's too short to fanny around.............just do it.
Motorhoming is a cross between camping, playing house, the romance of the open road, that wonderful sense of freedom that comes from being mobile and living with just essential possessions.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Kilroy

One thing I forgot to say about safety is to think about thieves looking for targets are hardly likely to drive miles around country lanes looking for the odd MH that has parked wild. Even if they found one they might be unlucky and the guy has not got a pot to piss in, so not worth the trouble.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our first old motorhome without any research whatsoever just because I wanted one and I had persuaded Nick and I didn’t want him to change his mind! Fortunately he fell in love with it too. This is not the way to do it at all but it has worked out fine.

We are on our third motorhome now and it’s a new one. We are both totally useless where practical matters are concerned. This is where professionals come in and also the many helpful people on MHF. Mind you, although I understand some of the explanations in theory I would much rather pay someone although I will wield a screwdriver occasionally! Understand your limitations and don’t be afraid to ask.

Security wise there’s loads of good advice on here, follow it and don’t be put off by some of the silly scaremongering stories in the press. Genuine cases are pretty uncommon and the gassing stories are nonsense.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Weve been motorhomeing for 13 years and 3 of those was full timing in Europe. We have deadlocks on the doors and various other bits of security and have never been bothered here or in Europe.
You just have to be sensible and aware of things like not parking up in service stations overnight, not leaving passports or other interesting stuff on show
Regarding tech issues, I bet you can cope with more than you realise and anything you don't know about others on campsites or on here will be able to help. Most countries in Europe have good mechanics etc (a lot of people speak English or enough for you to explain).
You'll always hear horror stories but they are well balanced, at least on here, by the good stuff.
It is a good idea to hire one for a week. It's not cheap but worth it to find out if the life is right for you.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
We had the same two main doubts when we bought our first 4year old van in March this year. A few technical issues at the beginning but good MH fixers in County Down, sorted. We did the wild Atlantic way as far as Connemara and NI Coasts on a number of separate trips with a mixture of wild camping and sites. My advice is take it slow...use a few sites to get used to the van then a night or two wild camping. Use motorhome ireland app. You do relax more as you get used to the unfamiliarity. We are still getting there but no doubt now we will. Saw plenty of solo travellers in Ireland...no one spoke of any problems. The most difficult part is finding a motorhome in NI\ROI. The 4 year old homes are snapped up really quick. Took me 18 months to decide what I wanted and find one. Hired first, which I would recommend if in doubt. Remember if it’s not for you it’s really easy to sell a good MH again and get your money back. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
Welcome Kilroy- I’m a newbie too, just setting off on our first jaunt tomorrow. I think the worry about break-ins to a MHome V House is due to the look of the vehicle - it just looks easy to burst in to. However, when homes are broken into when people are asleep, I think the thieves tend to keep to the rooms downstairs, so therefore I expect MHome burglaries when you are there should be less as it’s basically one big room! Lots of tips on here about securing doors, both to the Cab and the Living area which we’re mulling over right now as whilst I don’t believe the risk is high, it’s certainly not something to be ignored.

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Just my experience for what it is worth.

I bought our MH privately at 6 years old. We have had it for 11 years and do nearly all wildcamping and Aires.

On security I never really thought about it in the 2 years travelling alone and not since. We have an alarm but do not set it at night now - I was the one who used to set it off going for a P without neutralising it. I never read stories about break-ins - stop reading them and get away.

On the mechanical side we have had little problem. Had I bought from a dealer with a 3-year warranty it would have never been called on. The things that have broken in 11 years are, and this may be typical.

FIAT base vehicle

1 Oil pressure transmitter in Germany - I was sure not big problem because oil was full and no noises.
2. Radiator leaked and replaced after 15 years - normal wear.

Habitation

1. Bits of plastic in fridge and door retainer
2. Micro switch on tap - found dealer, bought off shelf, opened tap and replaced in their yard (30 mins.)
3. Minor window leak. Bodged with filler till passing N&B who repaired properly.
4. Water pump - just wear probably, most carry a spare. Repaired myself, push fit and 2 wires.

Nearly every smaller MH has a FIAT engine. Just look after them(oil change annually and fan belt every 5 years). I have good commercial garage with probably more experience than most dealers - and cheaper

The N&B build is good quality and probably accounts for low breakages on that side. Nothing has come loose/fallen apart.

Geoff

I’ve got the same MoHo as you, 2004 love it! My only problem is one of the hob rings won’t stay alight which is being repaired alongside the Habcheck this year. Other than that just light bulbs and bits. Not bad in six years?

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I took a year asking people for feedback about their motorhomes before finding mine. It was the right one for me. I am single and wanted to provide for friends coming away with me. I was told by several Motorhome owners they didn’t like making up their bed every night. In the end I went for a travsverse bed at the back and a drop down bed over the cab. Newer Motorhomes have an island bed at the back and a separate shower which I would love but then I wouldn’t get it on my drive. It is all about checks and balances. I’m now looking at safefill gas bottles instead of Calor. Six years on I still haven’t figured out the sattelite tv and will ask on the forum how to sort that out properly. There is loads to learn but that happens as you go, bit by bit. The sense of freedom is amazing and as you say the community on here is unique.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back