Is it rude to ask the dealer too many questions when buying new? (1 Viewer)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Is it rude to ask the dealer too many questions when buying new?

I have been ensuring I know everything about my new van and ask a lot of questions, it’s a huge amount of money to be paying but was surprised when I was told they had never had anyone ask so many questions, they said they were learning a lot by finding out the answers for me.

Is there any etiquette in what you should and should not ask, some of my questions have been:

What chassis is it on
What type of suspension does it have
What are the weight limits of the alloy wheels
Can I extend my Fiat warranty
What is the max size of TV that would fit on the existing bracket
On the Swift Command what happens after the 3yrs in built SIM card expires (allows remote control of lights, heating etc)
How long is the rear overhang
Does it require corner steadies (subject to above)
Etc etc etc

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Of course, there is no limit. Get all of your questions answered, dealers are at their most receptive to your requests while you still have the money they want.

If you can, get your questions asked and answered via email so you have a permanent record of the answers. (y)

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
OP, having the same concerns too. We are asking every other day which I think is making the dealer nervous on handover. I hope this makes them more attentive when doing the PDI as we will be going over it with a fine tooth comb on collection
Along as asking questions we have got a full spec list on what is included with the van and comparing it to the manufacturers brochure/website as well as checking it off on handover.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
You are the customer, ask any questions you want regardless of how many.

Your money is theirs to earn.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I just find it amazing that Swift themselves have no idea what the weight limit is for the alloy wheels they use, surely the Swift design engineers should know that! Anyway the question was sent by them to Fiat last week, I’m still waiting for the reply.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ask him what the payload is and to get it weighed correctly to prove or discount his answer.

The payload answers they usually give seem to have been worked out on the back of a fag packet.

When its been weighed you'll also be able to work out the correct tyre pressures.

(y)
Ask a UK dealer that he will probably cancel the sale :cool::rofl:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
"when I was told they had never had anyone ask so many questions, they said they were learning a lot by finding out the answers for me."

He was being polite.....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I just find it amazing that Swift themselves have no idea what the weight limit is for the alloy wheels they use, surely the Swift design engineers should know that! Anyway the question was sent by them to Fiat last week, I’m still waiting for the reply.

Would you ask the same of a car dealer

I might be naive but at some point I trust the manufacturer to have supplied components fit for purpose and really don’t or shouldn’t need to ask

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Is it rude to ask the dealer too many questions when buying new?

I have been ensuring I know everything about my new van and ask a lot of questions, it’s a huge amount of money to be paying but was surprised when I was told they had never had anyone ask so many questions, they said they were learning a lot by finding out the answers for me.

Is there any etiquette in what you should and should not ask, some of my questions have been:

What chassis is it on
What type of suspension does it have
What are the weight limits of the alloy wheels
Can I extend my Fiat warranty
What is the max size of TV that would fit on the existing bracket
On the Swift Command what happens after the 3yrs in built SIM card expires (allows remote control of lights, heating etc)
How long is the rear overhang
Does it require corner steadies (subject to above)
Etc etc etc
Absolutely, definitely, certainly not. And don’t accept politicians answers such as “I’m glad you asked me about the payload. Let me point out the superb bathroom shower. Habitation door hard to close, don’t worry it will get easier with use”

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus

I might be naive but at some point I trust the manufacturer to have supplied components fit for purpose and really don’t or shouldn’t need to ask
You don’t tend to upgrade the payload of a car unless doing something exceptional whereas upgrading the payload of a motorhome is common due to the low payloads, how does one upgrade if you don’t have the data available for the engineers calculations which include the alloy wheels maximum weight?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

No offence intended but not asking for answers on matters you want to know about and just trusting does seem naive to me.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
None taken, but I really cant imagine a manufacturer supplying wheels with such a tight margin that a 10% increase in weight takes them out of spec
Call SVTech the experts in upgrading and downgrading and ask them, I am just complying with their instructions to me to obtain that data for them in order that they can carry out their ‘accurate’ calculations.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Call SVTech the experts in upgrading and downgrading and ask them, I am just complying with their instructions to me to obtain that data for them in order that they can carry out their ‘accurate’ calculations.

I actually did use SV to uprate mine from 5t to 5.5t the SV tech never asked me to check the wheels

As it happens mine are steel wheels but they never asked

You might be guilty of over thinking things maybe

Although I agree best to be safe

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I actually did use SV to uprate mine from 5t to 5.5t the SV tech never asked me to check the wheels

As it happens mine are steel wheels but they never asked

You might be guilty of over thinking things maybe

Although I agree best to be safe
I’m not overthinking I am stating facts. I am sure the engineering experts know more than you and I and are you not concerned that you don’t know if your wheels are adequate for your payload upgrade?

I would like to add that my upgrade from 4,250kg to 4,500kg is a paper excercise, but to go up to 4,700kg involves rear axle air assist AND confirmation of the alloy wheels specifications that are currently on the van, plus upgrading the rear axle tyres from a 116 payload to 121 payload (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I’m not overthinking I am stating facts. I am sure the engineering experts know more than you and I and are you not concerned that you don’t know if your wheels are adequate for your payload upgrade?

I stand by my earlier comment that a 10% change should not be too much , the wheels will not be fitted with so small a margin

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As I understand it, if the alloy wheels are original then they have to be able to cope with the load rating of any tyres that can be fitted to them. It’s after-market alloys that have to provide load ratings. Where’s Techno when you need him? :wink:

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I stand by my earlier comment that a 10% change should not be too much , the wheels will not be fitted with so small a margin
your honour........

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
As I understand it, if the alloy wheels are original then they have to be able to cope with the load rating of any tyres that can be fitted to them. It’s after-market alloys that have to provide load ratings. Where’s Techno when you need him? :wink:
NOBODY at this time can give me the weight limit of the original Fiat alloy wheels, if anyone can then that would be appreciated.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I can picture the dealer now ...

Showroom locked and in darkness

Head in hands, empty bottle of Scotch and a loaded gun resting on the desk top beside him alongside a picture of his family....

...to be continued...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back