Is It Just Me Who Gets Really Cross With... (3 Viewers)

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
We do a blog and there is a link to it in our sig ( now deleted ) we don't have adds so it does not matter how many hits we get .

We don't post personal details all we post is aires campsites ie costs afew pictures etc , we also post gps coordinates for any GPL / LPG we find.We also have a link on our blog to this forum.

We had alot of help when we first started and it was a way of giving back by posting aires etc.

Sorry you have deleted your blog link.
When I was researching spending the winter in Spain and Portugal, prior to retiring in 2014, I printed off all the information to take with me and found it invaluable. So a belated thank you.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Why does it annoy me so very much when people come onto Fun and, without contributing to any threads or even sometimes without subscribing, just post a link to their blog.

Just using the huge Fun membership, built up over years of work by Jim, to advertise their own blog.

Am I the only one who gets so cross?

JJ :cool:

No it is taking the pee . Hi my names Jeremiah ive followed this site its been so helpful , even tho im to tight to pay 15 quid , I would like to give something back and to make my blog more popular . At least buy the site a drink first before you eer hum it , its only polite . (y)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As a 'blogger', an interesting thread, especially as some clearly do not like blogs at all - which surprises me because there is no compulsion to read them.

I gain nothing financially from my musings but I do see two key positives for me, other motorhomes and businesses...

For me, the blog acts like a diary - and it is great when I want to remember a place we stayed two or three years ago and I can just look it up.

For other motorhomes, it may be of occasional interest but I also have additional active pages such as the map of National Trust properties showing which ones larger 30 foot vehicles can (and more importantly can't) get in to.

For businesses where I have bought a product or visited a place I will let them know if I have reviewed it and they appreciate that.

Just checking my 'stats' now I am averaging 1000 views per month - which sounds a lot but in web terms is minuscule. I contribute regularly on here and occasionally point to my blog where I think it is of interest. A blog will take me anything from 20 minutes to an hour to write. A page like the National Trust parking page has to be maintained.

I don't care whether it is read or not but for those that do - you are welcome. :)

Chris

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We do a blog and there is a link to it in our sig ( now deleted ) we don't have adds so it does not matter how many hits we get .

We don't post personal details all we post is aires campsites ie costs afew pictures etc , we also post gps coordinates for any GPL / LPG we find.We also have a link on our blog to this forum.

We had alot of help when we first started and it was a way of giving back by posting aires etc.

You really should put your link back.

Someone joined yesterday, introduced themselves "this is me, here's a link, go look at my blog". And it is this practice that the op is moaning about. Not regular Funsters blogs, they are to be encouraged and should be in signatures (y)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
You really should put your link back.

Someone joined yesterday, introduced themselves "this is me, here's a link, go look at my blog". And it is this practice that the op is moaning about. Not regular Funsters blogs, they are to be encouraged and should be in signatures (y)

Never saw the post Jim that's a bit naughty

Im a big believer in karma always try to put something back as what goes around comes around.

Lynne keeps telling me just because I do something good does not mean I can do something bad.:devil:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

If you want to operate in a country you have to obey their laws. If there is a matter of principle at stake then you make a choice whether to operate in the country under those rules or not. Facebook has a choice, operate under their law or don't operate at all. Facebook last time I checked was totally blocked in China.
Look up Great Firewall of China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_China

Last edited:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Isn't it funny how people look at threads differently - and a good job too. (y) I did have to search for the post that Jim referred to, but I saw, Hi, this is who I am, where I am and my MH. Thanks for the info I have received from FUN and have learnt a lot from it, so if I can help out anyone else, look at my blog on how I did things. It may help with your planning and routes etc. Not just a blatant promotion of ME ME ME as was implied.:rolleyes: But if they have had so much help, then Subscribe..;) And to all who have blogs - Please keep them coming and advertise them. This thread has highlighted the fact that I often miss those blogs in the Sig Blocks.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not just a blatant promotion of ME ME ME as was implied
However it is worded. If a first post is to advertise another site then it is considered very bad internet etiquette.

It's like someone knocking on your door, being very polite then launching into a sales pitch.

VS.

Someone you have known for a while, saying they are selling something as part of a relevant conversation.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
QUOTE="Zepp, post: 2115239, member: 3005"]We do a blog and there is a link to it in our sig ( now deleted ) we don't have adds so it does not matter how many hits we get .

We had alot of help when we first started and it was a way of giving back by posting aires etc.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to read you have deleted your blog Paul, :( but yours was one I have gathered loads of information from over the years, handy for us travelling in Germany and Portugal :) luckily it's in my bookmarks. (y)
I'm sure a lot of others feel the same, would be nice to see it back, safe travels. :D Bob.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Not just a blatant promotion of ME ME ME as was implied

It wasn't implied by me Mr Zigisla.

I will try to explain myself more clearly...

I don't give a monkey's flying wind break how bloody helpful his blog is...

Logging onto a forum and, with your first post, trying to get folk to leave that forum and go to your blog is just WRONG.

It is RUDE.

It is NOT how one should behave.

It is LEECHING off the hard work of the Forum's owner.

I am sorry if people don't understand this... they haven't been brought up with, or learnt, good internet manners.

Now I've got all hot and bothered again :(

Bugger... My third boiled egg went cold while I was having my rant...

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
However it is worded. If a first post is to advertise another site then it is considered very bad internet etiquette.
I have to agree on this part, but I am sure having bad etiquette for your very first post is far away from the need to get angry about it.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have to agree on this part, but I am sure having bad etiquette for your very first post is far away from the need to get angry about it.

That's why I asked the question in the first post of this thread...

Obviously you don't get angry... well done you.

Have you ever tried to get a forum off the ground? Ever tried to build up a following for your site?

I give up... it is yoghurt time...

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
That's why I asked the question in the first post of this thread...

Obviously you don't get angry... well done you.

Have you ever tried to get a forum off the ground? Ever tried to build up a following for your site?

I give up... it is yoghurt time...

No I dont often. Life is too short. Frustrated at times and Oh that's not really the done thing.
No
No
Agree.. Black Cherry Muller for me.(y)

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I'm sorry I get emotional...

It is because I care too much...

And I am not very mentally mature.

(Bauniha and Banana for me...)

PS... my life is not too short... it has been going on and on and on for years and years.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are different levels of angry. There is the mildly irritated angry of when someone doesn't thank you for holding a door open to the full blown anger when someone cons you out of your life savings. I think in this case JJ was slightly more angry than the door holding example probably due to seeing more than a few people do this.

The first person who knocks on your door and tries to sell you something might irritate a bit, but after a few have done it... My guess is your anger levels would rise as well.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There are different levels of angry. There is the mildly irritated angry of when someone doesn't thank you for holding a door open to the full blown anger when someone cons you out of your life savings. I think in this case JJ was slightly more angry than the door holding example probably due to seeing more than a few people do this.

The first person who knocks on your door and tries to sell you something might irritate a bit, but after a few have done it... My guess is your anger levels would rise as well.
I think that there are other things to worry about than new people posting blogs. People get so carried away; a good example is an "air action group" locally set up to combat the slightly changed flight paths overhead. No alternative solution proposed by them, just a bunch of bitter pensioners with an agenda and nothing better to do.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
a good example is an "air action group" locally set up to combat the slightly changed flight paths overhead.
I wish there was one of those around here - I think somesort of flying school has started up locally... plagued with light aircraft doing circuits for hours on end - sounds like a mega amplified pesky mosquito :mad:.
No I'm not [yet] annoyed enough to do something :rolleyes:.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Isn't it funny how people look at threads differently - and a good job too. (y) I did have to search for the post that Jim referred to, but I saw, Hi, this is who I am, where I am and my MH. Thanks for the info I have received from FUN and have learnt a lot from it, so if I can help out anyone else, look at my blog on how I did things. It may help with your planning and routes etc. Not just a blatant promotion of ME ME ME as was implied.:rolleyes: But if they have had so much help, then Subscribe..;) And to all who have blogs - Please keep them coming and advertise them. This thread has highlighted the fact that I often miss those blogs in the Sig Blocks.

I doubt you have seen it because I deleted it within a few moments of it being posted.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I doubt you have seen it because I deleted it within a few moments of it being posted.
So it wasn't the Australian one then?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
So much for freedom of speech then.
That is the point. Access to Facebook is blocked in China. The only way they can get around this is to operate from within China and obey their laws on internet access.
They have experimented a couple of times with various technology. They have not implemented any of it due to concerns about human rights etc.

As for freedom of speech. There is no such thing in this country or as far as I know any European country. Only the U.S. actually have real freedom of speech laws as far as I know.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So it wasn't the Australian one then?

No, just seen that now. That looks like a particularly good intro. Though I note that the guy has not been back yet so maybe he is just link building, we'll see.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
No, just seen that now. That looks like a particularly good intro. Though I note that the guy has not been back yet so maybe he is just link building, we'll see.
As I clearly did not see the thread that wound up the OP, I shall withdraw my comments on reading things differently.:)

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back