internet saltalite kit advise please (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
our new to us motorhome has a lot of stuff in it of which Im not 100% sure about,

I yet to decide what to do with the TEC stuff inside, its got an oyster satalite internet with twine LNBs , I dont think we will need mobil internet , so Ive got to figure out wheter to take out the control boxs or just leave them in and put up with the loss of space.
20201210_110625.jpg

the stuff on the bottom shelt, is a satalite modem I think, and a netgrar router. I find it strange that the two cables down from the lnb are differant, lots to learn I think

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Did the seller not explain what things were ?
What Oyster system do you have, if it's the older Oyster 1 the then second lnb could be an upgrade to enable you to get Astra 2 which Oyster 1 can't otherwise receive.

Edit. It does look like you have satellite internet which I know nothing about so I'll just bow out here 👍🏻

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Did the seller not explain what things were ?
What Oyster system do you have, if it's the older Oyster 1 the then second lnb could be an upgrade to enable you to get Astra 2 which Oyster 1 can't otherwise receive.

Edit. It does look like you have satellite internet which I know nothing about so I'll just bow out here 👍🏻

The dealer did go over stuff, but under the current restictions we didnt dwell on stuff too long and I wasnt too interestedc in the internet satalite side of things, I dont think its been upgraded as the sat dish (oyster digital 85 hdc1 + T skew) has Satalite Internets makings on it under the oyster graphics. The van a 2018, but of course it may have been on a older van befor? It is all working correctly and Im getting good tv reception.

The dish controller/decoders is ten haaft but I can see no modle names/numbers on the device or in the manuals, I was hoping someone might recognise the kit in the photo...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
This looks like some of the same kit

Yes it looks exectley like that, with the addition of a wireless router, I dont think for the cost of subscribtion the speeds quoted are as good value as 4g/5g so I will porbibly not use it, I wonder if the second lnb is dedicated to internet or could be used for a second decoder ?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yes it looks exectley like that, with the addition of a wireless router, I dont think for the cost of subscribtion the speeds quoted are as good value as 4g/5g so I will porbibly not use it, I wonder if the second lnb is dedicated to internet or could be used for a second decoder ?
I noticed the charges and the speed ! Very expensive and as you say 4/5G would be a better option . Not sure about the twin LNB thing . Maybe just use the satellite for TV and change the lnb if possible .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd be tempted to remove the lot and flog it while it still has a bit of value. Someone may be keen enough to buy it.
In my view, satellite dishes are unnecessary. Extra weight and something to go wrong... Use mobile data instead. It depends on how important telly is to you. We rarely use ours and, next time, won't even bother having one.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
For the little bit of space taken I would just leave it.
Start unplugging cables and you may also lose satellite..

I noticed the charges and the speed ! Very expensive and as you say 4/5G would be a better option . Not sure about the twin LNB thing . Maybe just use the satellite for TV and change the lnb if possible .

I think your both correct, I'll leave well alone untill I can get a better understanding of it all.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You need to talk to Anthony OysterTech I’m sure he will be able to guide you on what you have etc.👍😊

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It can easily be converted to a single LNB system, the interactive LNB is no use for TV viewing

It has no value really as its old technology, slow and expensive to use for internet, which is why Oyster discontinued it some years ago

We installed a fair few of them when it was the only viable way to guarantee decent internet when travelling around, but technology caught it up and surpassed it

A bit like satellite TV to be honest

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
From top left:- The Silver thing is the voltage converter 12 VCD - 18 VDC for the internet controller. Removeable
Then the Oyster control/tuner needed!
LNB Switch, the middle coax can be removed and plugged into the back of the Oyster digital box replacing coax currently marked Oyster.
Middle right, is the Oyster "mouse" or remote eye
Bottom left the Internet decoder can be unplugged and removed along with the Netgear router and yellow LAN cable

Will make some space in the cupboard

Attachments

• 1607948114711.png
    1607948114711.png
    2 MB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
From top left:- The Silver thing is the voltage converter 12 VCD - 18 VDC for the internet controller. Removeable
Then the Oyster control/tuner needed!
LNB Switch, the middle coax can be removed and plugged into the back of the Oyster digital box replacing coax currently marked Oyster.
Middle right, is the Oyster "mouse" or remote eye
Bottom left the Internet decoder can be unplugged and removed along with the Netgear router and yellow LAN cable

Will make some space in the cupboard

Thanks, so in theory I can do away with the kit on the bottom AND the voltage converter on the top, then use the existing 12VDC feed that went into the voltage converter to feed a 12VDC blu ray player and feed the output of that direct to the Tv vai a new HDMI cable or use the existing HMDI and a HDMI switch? Do you know if the voltage control has a verable output and if its also a voltage stabaliser ?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks, so in theory I can do away with the kit on the bottom AND the voltage converter on the top, then use the existing 12VDC feed that went into the voltage converter to feed a 12VDC blu ray player and feed the output of that direct to the Tv vai a new HDMI cable or use the existing HMDI and a HDMI switch? Do you know if the voltage control has a verable output and if its also a voltage stabaliser ?
To be honest, the power supply, supplied, differed due to what was available. The internet unit was intended as a domestic/office product and not 12 VDC

Better to bin it and use a 12 VDC Bluray player if such things exist anymore, again technology that came and went very quickly

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
To be honest, the power supply, supplied, differed due to what was available. The internet unit was intended as a domestic/office product and not 12 VDC

Better to bin it and use a 12 VDC Bluray player if such things exist anymore, again technology that came and went very quickly

ok thanks, I do have a small sony blu ray palyer which would fit nicley and has an external brick type 230ac to 12vdcv power supply, allthough I wounder if getting a 12volt Voltage Stabilizer Regulator would stop any problems with the flucuating van voltage. Alternatly If I could pick up the 240volt line a socket in the back would fit as the van has an victron inverter rated at ( i think) 1800 watts

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
our new to us motorhome has a lot of stuff in it of which Im not 100% sure about,

I yet to decide what to do with the TEC stuff inside, its got an oyster satalite internet with twine LNBs , I dont think we will need mobil internet , so Ive got to figure out wheter to take out the control boxs or just leave them in and put up with the loss of space.
20201210_110625.jpg
Good afternoon,

What you have here is an Oyster Digital Internet system.
Top shelf you have the Oyster High Definition Digital Receiver which will tell the system which satellite to locate and whether to find Internet or TV transmissions. The unit also has a built in receiver which will show all free to air television transmissions of the required satellite.
The system is essentially a Twin LNB system however the internet requires the ability to send and receive transmissions so that's why the cables are different. The white thin cable is the receive cable which will do both TV and internet (not at the same time) and the thicker black coax is for transmission on the internet side. It's thicker because the signal for transmitting is weaker than the receive so the thicker cable will have less loss. The Internet LNB on the system only has one receive terminal so only the white cable will bring in TV signal however if you ever want to get rid of the internet side of things then you can change the LNB for a normal TV only one and then use both cables as inputs.
Another important thing to note about this system is that the internet LNB is what we call a single polarisation LNB. Basically a normal LNB is voltage switched between horizontal and vertical transmissions so the LNB doesn't move once locked however this one has to move horizontal/vertical depending on the channel chosen to view. It does this automatically through the Oyster receiver however if you wanted to use say a Sky box then it won't work without some fiddling.

On the bottom shelf you have the Internet modem on the left which is part of the system (although not owned or maintained by us) and the router to the right is to allow for wireless use.

If you'd like more information or have any questions about the system that I haven't covered then please feel free to call me in the office on 01858575928.

Also thank you Speve for the heads up!

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Good afternoon,

What you have here is an Oyster Digital Internet system.

Also thank you Speve for the heads up!

Thanks for your reply & pm once I get my head around it and decied what Im after doping Ill come back with more questions thanks....

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for your reply & pm once I get my head around it and decied what Im after doping Ill come back with more questions thanks....
No problem at all.
I'm in the office on Wednesday of this week and then we break up for Christmas however if you need me after that just send me a message on here and I'll come back to you.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It might be worth hanging onto the internet capabilities as SpaceX are putting a lot of satellites into orbit which may introduce much cheaper satellite broadband internet in the future. Saying that, I have the Oyster system fitted to our moho but haven't used it for at least a couple of years now as it's much cheaper at the moment to use a mifi.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
It might be worth hanging onto the internet capabilities as SpaceX are putting a lot of satellites into orbit which may introduce much cheaper satellite broadband internet in the future. Saying that, I have the Oyster system fitted to our moho but haven't used it for at least a couple of years now as it's much cheaper at the moment to use a mifi.
SMB I'm just a little confused by the last part of your post.

If you already have the Oyster system on the vehicle how is it cheaper to use mifi?? The Mifi requires data in order to use it which you need to pay for on either PAYG or as part of a monthly contract where as the Oyster costs nothing to use if you are using it for free to air transmissions only.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp

If you already have the Oyster system on the vehicle how is it cheaper to use mifi?? The Mifi requires data in order to use it which you need to pay for on either PAYG or as part of a monthly contract where as the Oyster costs nothing to use if you are using it for free to air transmissions only.

in my case quite correct, its there sat on the roof, its a good one, Im going to make the most of it, Im probibly going to have the lnb changed at some piont and take out the internet kit, I will allso install a smart blue ray player to enable me to use my phone data to on iplayer type streaming, I may also add a additaional decoder with Hard Drive recording best of all worlds and relying on none...

Yes we do whatch at of tv in the van, my wife is partuly disabled and we use the van to suit our needs....

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp

Sorry, I was talking about the data plan required to access the Internet, not the free to air programs! I still use the satellite dish for watching TV when I'm in the UK

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
in my case quite correct, its there sat on the roof, its a good one, Im going to make the most of it, Im probibly going to have the lnb changed at some piont and take out the internet kit, I will allso install a smart blue ray player to enable me to use my phone data to on iplayer type streaming, I may also add a additaional decoder with Hard Drive recording best of all worlds and relying on none...

Yes we do whatch at of tv in the van, my wife is partuly disabled and we use the van to suit our needs....
I agree, it is a good bit of kit and I use mine for watching TV as well. I just don't use the Internet on it at the moment though that might change if the price of Internet broadband comes down. I've used the dish previously abroad and been able to use it's Internet capability as far down as Sicily. UK TV has only worked as far down as Central France though it did work in Switzerland, probably because the campsite was at 1500 metres!

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I agree, it is a good bit of kit and I use mine for watching TV as well. I just don't use the Internet on it at the moment though that might change if the price of Internet broadband comes down. I've used the dish previously abroad and been able to use it's Internet capability as far down as Sicily. UK TV has only worked as far down as Central France though it did work in Switzerland, probably because the campsite was at 1500 metres!

do you have the 65cm or 85 cm dish

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
It the 85cm dish but not the newer system with the HD receiver as its 5-6 years old

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry, I was talking about the data plan required to access the Internet, not the free to air programs! I still use the satellite dish for watching TV when I'm in the UK
Ahhhhh ok yeah, unfortunately the KU internet data plans are quite expensive. Providers are also on the decline because all research and development was put into KA band internet which the Oyster cannot use.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Anthony OysterTech
could you give me a ball park cost, to replace the lnb with a twin TV one please you can do by pm if you prefere.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Ahhhhh ok yeah, unfortunately the KU internet data plans are quite expensive. Providers are also on the decline because all research and development was put into KA band internet which the Oyster cannot use.
I wasn't aware of the research aspect, do you know whether the SpaceX system is going to be compatible with the Oyster system? I don't know much about it to be honest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back