Internet Router, some questions (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Good day to all, I am about install (DIY) a 4G/LTE system into my PVC, it will be a external roof mounted MIMO antenna from Solwise and a Router in the Van. Target price on the Router is <250 GBP, I already have a Data only sim.
I have some questions on the Router choice, I note some lack of clarity (to my eyes at least) on the specs so any info from the forum members who have fitted a similar setup is appreciated, my questions are
- Router will have its own battery, I note they are supplied with a charger for 100-240v, how are you charging the Router battery from the 12v van battery, is it like a phone setup with a small in car type charger running at 5v output, if so are there any recommendations as to what has worked well with the routers you have?
- Router choice, are there any recommendations on the Models (Huawei/Netgear/Other) and I am thinking it will be models produced over the last two years for current availability?
- Mobile Router types, its not clear if all models have the double external antenna connections (SMA/TS9/TS5), the specs do not always identify that. Is there any advice on models that have proven to be reliable and have the external antenna connections
- I note on Amazon there are 'renewed' models, has anyone tried these, any comments on them?

Thanks in advance
(and it looks like the brakes are off in April and I will try the new setup on the first trip booked for the 20th)

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Good day to all, I am about install (DIY) a 4G/LTE system into my PVC, it will be a external roof mounted MIMO antenna from Solwise and a Router in the Van. Target price on the Router is <250 GBP, I already have a Data only sim.
I have some questions on the Router choice, I note some lack of clarity (to my eyes at least) on the specs so any info from the forum members who have fitted a similar setup is appreciated, my questions are
- Router will have its own battery, I note they are supplied with a charger for 100-240v, how are you charging the Router battery from the 12v van battery, is it like a phone setup with a small in car type charger running at 5v output, if so are there any recommendations as to what has worked well with the routers you have?
- Router choice, are there any recommendations on the Models (Huawei/Netgear/Other) and I am thinking it will be models produced over the last two years for current availability?
- Mobile Router types, its not clear if all models have the double external antenna connections (SMA/TS9/TS5), the specs do not always identify that. Is there any advice on models that have proven to be reliable and have the external antenna connections
- I note on Amazon there are 'renewed' models, has anyone tried these, any comments on them?

Thanks in advance
(and it looks like the brakes are off in April and I will try the new setup on the first trip booked for the 20th)

Morning, if the router has its own battery then try to get one that will charge from USB cable. It is then easy to charge and doesn't need a proprietary charger.
We have a Huawei and very pleased with it. I also have a Netgear router (not LTE/4G). I think the Netgear software is better suited to the consumer. Huawei is probably better suited to users with some network knowledge.
You might consider not fitting something in permanently as the benefit might not be huge. As an example, quite often when I disconnect my antenna from my router I still get the same strength 4G signal and sometimes it even improves!

Cheers

Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi we have a Huawei 5577S, with roof mount aerial from Motorhome Wifi and use a USB power adaptor and magnetic phone pad to fix to the wall
1614937851141.png

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we also have the netgear, but ours is the M2 (with a cheapo roof mounted MIMO - its been brilliant so far !!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’ve got this system in my PVC......really happy with it, although not used it abroad yet. (y)

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
As previously said, look at motorhome WiFi. They do a complete kit which consists of router and roof mounted aerial. I was supplied with the Huawei router and did the install myself tapping into an existing 12v cable that fed a TV aerial booster I had previously removed. It was an easy job and I get great WiFi reception almost anywhere.

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
As previously said, look at motorhome WiFi. They do a complete kit which consists of router and roof mounted aerial. I was supplied with the Huawei router and did the install myself tapping into an existing 12v cable that fed a TV aerial booster I had previously removed. It was an easy job and I get great WiFi reception almost anywhere.

Just to add that WiFi reception is never the issue, it is always about how strong the 3G/4G signal is.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We use a Huawei which cost less than £70 (5577 model I think). Permanently plugged into the electrics via a 12V ciggy socket and USB adaptor wired to the hab battery. Fitted directly below the fixed MIMO antenna on the roof, bought from Motorhome Wifi so short leads. It is held on a magnetic mount on the wall, so if I want to remove it so we can take it out with us I just unplug the USB and antenna leads lift it off and pop it in my pocket.

Works OK for us. But you may want to get a 5G one to make it futureproof. We don't do streaming, other than facetime, and the speed is OK for that.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We have the Teltonika RUT955 router mated to the Poynting MIMO 3 V2 roof mounted WI-FI/LTE/GPS antenna and have found it a fantastic combo, not cheap but does the job. Picks up public WiFi from a great distance and also boosts the mobile signal considerably.
It’s fully configurable whereby you can set it to use Wi-fi but if speed drops it will move to 1 of 2 sims.
Great bit of kit 👍
51E80D76-3F0D-4CC0-8BB4-311F169AF938.jpeg

Sep 12, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Buy all the bits separately saves you a fortune compared to the Motorhome WiFi kit. The antennas are used by the Met police for GPS and data transmission. Just Google the image for the manufacturer.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Buy all the bits separately saves you a fortune compared to the Motorhome WiFi kit. The antennas are used by the Met police for GPS and data transmission. Just Google the image for the manufacturer.
Like you I am very capable at installing my own networks and have a great solution on my van. You are right you can save money and be much more flexible and exotic with your equipment selection and installation. However, if you lack basic network skills you can very easily get into hot water with a motorhome installation. It is not a static environment like home, so whilst agreeing with the main thrust of your comment I think the caveat of being comfortable with setting up routers and cabling, as well as antenna connectivity is a must, if not paying extra for a plug and play solution from a supplier is a better route, for the support when it goes tits up if nothing else. I have no affiliation to Motorhomewifi and would not know them from a bar of soap, to be clear.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Had ours fitted as part of our purchase deal. (y)

Happy to have a go at a fair few things, but electrics / electronics are a dark art to me.........and I didn’t want to take a drill to my new roof.;)

OP
OP
C
Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Well thanks to all for the comments, a wide range of options I note. I will research some more and make my decision on the choice / cost. The M1 / M2's are high end but you get what you pay for. The RUT955 is interesting but covers more than the 4G/LTE that I need.
Phil748 answered the voltage / charging question so its 5V and I have ordered one of those 12v adapters today and will plan my Router choice around USB access for charging etc.
I have noted that when I am in a weak signal area (that seems often for me) my phone and Ipad seem to suffer a lot of signal strength loss when they are inside the van which I take to be shielding by the metal van, hopefully this fix will improve that.
Cheers and a good camping year to all.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
A more general question, why don't people just tether to their phones?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm another who has fitted the Teltonika 955 router connected to a Poynting MiMo antenna on the roof. It works very well and runs fine from 12 volts as it can take any DC between 9 and 30 volts. It's interface, accessed on a browser is very easy to use.

However, Teltonika do other models and I agree the 955 has more bells and whistles than most (including me!) need such as dual sim and GPS but one of their cheaper models would be fine for almost everyone. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can and for many this works fine, some of the high end phones have very good internal antennas. But when I walk the dog on my own I take my phone with me which Mrs DBK wouldn't take kindly to if it disconnected her, so to speak.

But as phone plans seem to come down in price it is still a good solution and if anyone is unsure which way to go I would suggest they try tethering and see how they get on. For me the external antenna is the biggest upgrade as it gets a signal almost everywhere but we do stop in strange places sometimes and for those who stay nearer civilisation an external antenna may not be necessary. But if you do go down this route you need a suitable MiFi or router. In my experience there isn't much difference in performance between them but a router can be left on 24/7 for months.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Ex RE no sense of adventure it's easy just check 5 times before you drill the hole ex REME.

If you’ve got something you want blown up.......I’m your man. That’s why I stay away from electrics. :giggle:

Don’t forget, our hammers were bigger than anyone else’s.......and of course, the Corp moto........’Hands on, lift up’.::bigsmile:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Like you I am very capable at installing my own networks and have a great solution on my van. You are right you can save money and be much more flexible and exotic with your equipment selection and installation. However, if you lack basic network skills you can very easily get into hot water with a motorhome installation. It is not a static environment like home, so whilst agreeing with the main thrust of your comment I think the caveat of being comfortable with setting up routers and cabling, as well as antenna connectivity is a must, if not paying extra for a plug and play solution from a supplier is a better route, for the support when it goes tits up if nothing else. I have no affiliation to Motorhomewifi and would not know them from a bar of soap, to be clear.
I have found the support from motorhome WiFi to be superb. I am ok with technology but have needed their help on a couple of occasions which saved me a lot of time, plus their kit enables me to connect more than one device to camp site internet, so it has more than paid for itself ...

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
We tried that. Problem with a PVC is that it's a very effective Faraday Cage, so all electrical signals get earthed (the same thing as happens if you are on your phone in a lift and the door closes). It shouldn't be as bad for an A class etc because fibreglass walls and non conductive:

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Never mind check five times, Arte et Marte etc I was trained to drill holes in the right place but I am very wary of drilling holes in the roof of our motorhome. Our Hauwei seems to work as it is propped against the side window.
Sorry to hijack the thread but we are not that fussed about having the internet when we are away. Occasional checking for messages or TV if the normal TV signal isn’t good.
The Hauwei was bought with a gift voucher to spend on the motorhome. I couldn’t think of anything else that we really needed at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Burntwood, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
2013 Autocruise Accent
Exp
Since 2013
I’m a bit thick when it comes to wi-fi in my PVC. No issues at home, good signal strength in every room, thanks to decent router and extenders, Netflix, Prime, Nowtv etc. I note that campsites I’ve been on do not recommend their w-fi for streaming tv for example. If I install my own system, will it give me this option and will I be using my mobile ‘phone providers plan? I told you I was thick.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
The thing is, if someone rocks up with an all singing all dancing wi-fi solution on their van, will they suck up all the bandwidth for themselves, leaving mere mortals with even patchier internet connection? Or will their systems not need the campsite router and just draw down from passing satellites or local residents domestic systems? I ask because years ago I was moored up in a marina on Guernsey which had free wi-fi if you were prepared to go and sit on a bench in a particular corner of the marina. The guy on the boat next to us was very proud of his military grade wi-fi aerial which meant he got the signal where he was but he was a bit cagey about whether that was impacting on our ability to get it.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’m a bit thick when it comes to wi-fi in my PVC. No issues at home, good signal strength in every room, thanks to decent router and extenders, Netflix, Prime, Nowtv etc. I note that campsites I’ve been on do not recommend their w-fi for streaming tv for example. If I install my own system, will it give me this option and will I be using my mobile ‘phone providers plan? I told you I was thick.

I started where you are.....in fact I’m still thick. :oops:

The Motorhome WiFi kit we have fitted is easy to use. We had it fitted by the dealer before picking our van up, however I believe the full kit is £299.

We use the Smarty Sim Card that came with it, and use a flexible contract. £10 for 30gb of data for 30 days. We don’t auto renew, but it’s easy to credit via the websit / app. As long as you credit the account one in 180 days the account stays open. If you are heavy data users you can buy more.

We then watch TV through our iPad. Even been able to do this when no signal shown on our phone.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back