Insurance ! (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Im a newbe
Hello all and trying to find out the best route to get our electric cycles insured whilst on the rear cycle rack on our M.H.whilst travelling in France ? .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Never bothered to insure ours, just spend a bit extra on decent locks and don’t leave them lying around anywhere out of sight.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Ours are covered by the house insurance. Only problem is the limit is 31 days abroad, so we need to extend it on the big trips abroad. Also check that your house insurance covers you for 3rd Party cover when riding an e-bike. Many don't.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We found the cheapest way is to have them included on the house insurance. They usually need to be declared and you'll pay small extra premium, but nowhere near as much as a separate policy. However, you do need to do a bit of due diligence before buying a policy and make sure you read the policy in detail to ensure their pedal cycle cover also covers ebikes: I think its better now, but it used to be that many companies didn't specifically cover ebikes. Most of them will cover the bikes when locked to a vehicle rack using the requisite category lock, but if the policy booklet isn't clear on the point then the company's online chat is usually a good place to check with them, plus you you have the benefit that the answer is in writing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
did mine through Saga house policy cost about £35 , ( value of bike £2650 ) only stipulation was locked to immovable object , not sure you would describe bike rack as that ?
they did not require any special lock like some companies.

OP
OP
Cliffyboy
Mar 2, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Im a newbe
Thank you all for the valid information and reckon I will buy some more security locks ! 🔒.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Just be aware that no matter how many locks you fix your bike to the rack it only takes about two minutes for two people to remove rack and bikes in one go !
good locks around tow bar might help ?

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I've just renewed my home insurance after the premium went up by around £200, mainly due to our significant stable of assorted bikes including 3 ebikes, worth somewhere around £16k in total. After much searching and comparing I have gone with Pedalcover. Not cheap but great cover and customer service. Underwritten by NIG who are part of the Direct Line group. We have just swapped to a MH with a garage to keep the hight value emtbs out of sight but they would still insure when on a rack as long as you are using gold secure locks if they are worth more than £1500.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
We went with Direct line Cycle insurance because the covered foreign travel and cover if left on the rack overnight, most other companies has small print stating the bikes had to be removed between 2100 and 0600

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
My wife found a standalone electric bike insurance for £45. Includes use in Europe. £1500 value. Can't recall the company at the moment but she found it with a bit of Google searching.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hello all and trying to find out the best route to get our electric cycles insured whilst on the rear cycle rack on our M.H.whilst travelling in France ? .
Mines on the house insurance itemised,, yes I have it in writing that secured on the van is recognised as an immovable object
It has to have a recognised unbolt lock and the reciept for the lock must be produced.
I also always use a bike cover

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Thank you all for the valid information and reckon I will buy some more security locks ! 🔒.
Have a look at pye auctions they are selling bankruptcy the bike stock
But becareful not to over pay many of the locks were avalable yesterday

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back