Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
OMG I do hope the insurance company paid the full value of the vehicle and whilst that is dies not cover the emotional compensation hope it goes a long way towards a replacement.
Yes got full value...however not for the 10k worth of stuff inside it....plus 2 months before I had installed Solar Panels, inverter, Gaslo, four new tyres and 4G roof aerial at a cost of £3,500....I’m hoping next year will be a better one for me...although I’m not holding my breath.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes got full value...however not for the 10k worth of stuff inside it....plus 2 months before I had installed Solar Panels, inverter, Gaslo, four new tyres and 4G roof aerial at a cost of £3,500....I’m hoping next year will be a better one for me...although I’m not holding my breath.
£10k worth inside! :oops: How many Rolexes did you have??? :giggle: I'm surprised the solar etc wasn't covered - did you didn't tell them you'd put them on and increased the insured value accordingly?

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
£10k worth inside! :oops: How many Rolexes did you have??? :giggle: I'm surprised the solar etc wasn't covered - did you didn't tell them you'd put them on and increased the insured value accordingly?
No...no Rolexes...I keep them at home....but Mountain Bikes, walking equipment, tents, Garmin walking GPS, clothes, shoes, tools, cameras, Go Pro, tripods, deck chairs, tables, BBQ, outdoor electric hob, bike helmets, towels, sat nav, micro cards walking maps for GPS for all Alps, books, pots, pans, plates, glasses....I could go on....it’s surprising how it adds up....its like the Generation Game Conveyor belt with Bruce Forsyth trying to remember what was in there....oh wireless headphones, Bose Soundlink Mini.....duvets, pillows sporting equipment.....arrrrgg !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
So sorry for your loss. Yes if we all listed the sundries in and on our vans we would all have a shock. Bet there are some making out lists now. Another job during lockdown. But sure as hell well worth the time. I have added this to my list of jobs. I will photograph my bits and bobs.
PS mine are not Bobs they are tackle ??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No...no Rolexes...I keep them at home....but Mountain Bikes, walking equipment, tents, Garmin walking GPS, clothes, shoes, tools, cameras, Go Pro, tripods, deck chairs, tables, BBQ, outdoor electric hob, bike helmets, towels, sat nav, micro cards walking maps for GPS for all Alps, books, pots, pans, plates, glasses....I could go on....it’s surprising how it adds up....its like the Generation Game Conveyor belt with Bruce Forsyth trying to remember what was in there....oh wireless headphones, Bose Soundlink Mini.....duvets, pillows sporting equipment.....arrrrgg !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
My insurance paid out for accessories fitted on my van when it was written off that I had notified them of..I had not notified them of the refillable gas system I they didn't want to pay out on that but they had moved the van before they notified me it was written off so I requested they return it so I could remove the system.They didn't return it,they paid me out..BUSBY.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
My insurance paid out for accessories fitted on my van when it was written off that I had notified them of..I had not notified them of the refillable gas system I they didn't want to pay out on that but they had moved the van before they notified me it was written off so I requested they return it so I could remove the system.They didn't return it,they paid me out..BUSBY.
I think I got a fair settlement even with the gaslo etc....it was just the contents....they had a maximum of £3,000 for contents which I got....as I said it’s surprising how things add up when you start to purchase them all again from new......upside is all my gear will be now new as some of it was 20 years old and starting to show signs of wear (especially the deck chairs, I can get posh ones now).

Of course it’s even more frustrating buying all this new stuff when it looks like I won’t be able to use it for a while.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yup its harsh, but great to hear you received the value you were seeking, I had a rush of blood to the head and brought back to invoice insurance for one vehicle at the time it was £280 for 5 years cover I did waiver over buying it.......3 years down the line the vehicle was stollen and the insurance company whilst they paid out there was a gap of about £10K which the Back to invoice covered but there were a few hunderd pounds worth of stuff that wasn't covered. Hope things do turn out OK for you next year(y):cool:

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That is awful and the reason I want insurajnce whilst off the road ,just the damage , i will probably get comprehensive policy but the NFU put is up by £80 from last year as well as being the dearest around

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
that is awful and the reason I want insurajnce whilst off the road ,just the damage , i will probably get comprehensive policy but the NFU put is up by £80 as well as being the dearest around

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I renewed my insurance yesterday and AIB amended my policy to “laid up” status at a discount of £100. When I eventually get on the road again, I need to inform them and pay the extra £100 to reinstate my normal cover.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I renewed my insurance yesterday and AIB amended my policy to “laid up” status at a discount of £100. When I eventually get on the road again, I need to inform them and pay the extra £100 to reinstate my normal cover.

So only making a saving if you don’t go on the road for the full year of the policy

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I have just got my renewal notice through for a months time. I contacted the NFU who I use and asked for a quote for off the road insurance whilst this farce goes on, I think for many months or a year At least.
My premium for a year with two drivers and continental cover, fully comp is £484 and the year off the road in my own storage they asked for £402 for fire and theft cover only, no accidental cover and no Road traffic act cover.

Taking off the continental cover should save around 10%. I’ve just had a quote from CaravanGuard for a Hymer I’m considering purchasing. The fully complies quote, kept at home is £303.

I’d try a price comparison!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So only making a saving if you don’t go on the road for the full year of the policy
That's the same as Comfort do, no pro-rata discount PLUS you usually have to pay an amendment fee on top so it makes it more expensive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why not just insure it as normal as you're not saving anything in real terms especially if they then add a fee for amending the policy too it will cost your more - whilst we're not out of lockdown yet I can't see it going on for a year so you won't be saving anything from what I can see.

Deleted User
My policy is always. If You can’t afford to lose it insure it!!
Spongy

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Why not just insure it as normal as you're not saving anything in real terms especially if they then add a fee for amending the policy too it will cost your more - whilst we're not out of lockdown yet I can't see it going on for a year so you won't be saving anything from what I can see.
I won’t be losing out though as there will not be any fee for amending. I accept that it’s unlikely that lockdown will last a year (hopefully) but at least it splits my payment into 2. ?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
[/QUOTE

Yes I agree so what if after 8 months you can go all over sites are open etc are you still having to pay the £100?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This morning I got two letters from NFU about my insurance.
first a letter cancelling my comprehensive policy and refunding £7.12p
the second was a new policy document for FIRE AND THEFT only with no other risks or road cover and a new invoice for £401.92 to cover me for a year.
Ispoke to the person about the new cover for off road risks and at the end I said I would leave it as it is and
I would consider what to do at renewal time.
This has blown it as far as they are concerned and I will probably remove all my policies to another company, I did not authorise them to change anything and was probably have paid the full renewal costs with them. For the cover they have stated on the new policy document it is exorbitant cost for virtually no risk on their part not even a broken screen. I always thought it was the road insurance that was the highest risk with all those people and vehicle around making a big target for me to mow down.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If they made a mistake ask them to put it right, I would be surprised if they did not. They obviously misunderstood your previous contacts with them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
GWAYGWAY so are you insured now or not???? :oops:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
No saving then really just a few cheaper months.Need mine insured because I give it a run every couple of weeks.BUSBY?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
GWAYGWAY so are you insured now or not???? :oops:
Answer is no they cancelled my proper policy and substituted the FIRE AND THEFT cover only no road risk and NO damage cover. They also removed £402 from my bank account for the privilege. I foresee and argument on Monday. I could have used the van on the road before until the end of May, not now.
I had actually decided to stay with them even though it had gone up£80.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Answer is no they cancelled my proper policy and substituted the FIRE AND THEFT cover only no road risk and NO damage cover. They also removed £402 from my bank account for the privilege. I foresee and argument on Monday. I could have used the van on the road before until the end of May, not now.
I had actually decided to stay with them even though it had gone up£80.
Oh dear ... make sure you play merry hell and get some compensation for the worry!

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Some of these answers sound like the people writing them have NOT read my posting.
Full comprehensive cover £484, limited FIRE AND THEFT cover only £402 no accidental at all cover , like falling trees walls or vandals ripping it to bits etc, so pay the premium and get no cover for any risk other than FIRE and THEFT. It doesn't sound quite right to want so much for so little. What do other do for theirs when they know it cannot be used. The premium asked is a month pension, so I am not that keen to waste it. I need to find NON driving cover but all other risks covered or do without. The van is not going to drive off into any people or vehicles, with the wheels off unless the tealeafs are doing it. The aircraft mentioned are all covered on what is known as Ground Risk policy and a fraction of the cost of flying risk.
I think it may be an idea to Uninsure it completely if on your house premises and ask your house insurance To cover it for damage only. Disconnect batteries To avoid fire risk and theft. Even Remove other engine parts. My insurer during my build was willing to insure my van parts not yet fitted that where still in my garage so it may apply in the reverse scenario! Worth checking.

DIY campervan

Free Member
Apr 23, 2020
Hull
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
2020 newbie
Some of these answers sound like the people writing them have NOT read my posting.
Full comprehensive cover £484, limited FIRE AND THEFT cover only £402 no accidental at all cover , like falling trees walls or vandals ripping it to bits etc, so pay the premium and get no cover for any risk other than FIRE and THEFT. It doesn't sound quite right to want so much for so little. What do other do for theirs when they know it cannot be used. The premium asked is a month pension, so I am not that keen to waste it. I need to find NON driving cover but all other risks covered or do without. The van is not going to drive off into any people or vehicles, with the wheels off unless the tealeafs are doing it. The aircraft mentioned are all covered on what is known as Ground Risk policy and a fraction of the cost of flying risk.
If a tree falls on it then your house insurance will defo cover that or your neighbours or the council. If a vehicle backs into it their insurance will too so on and so forth. Its only damage from vandals that is a concern but your house cover may cover for damage if you add it on the policy as anything on your premises is covered for damage under your house insurance. Then bum off your van insurance completely saving maybe £400!! Get checking it out.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This morning I got two letters from NFU about my insurance.
first a letter cancelling my comprehensive policy and refunding £7.12p
the second was a new policy document for FIRE AND THEFT only with no other risks or road cover and a new invoice for £401.92 to cover me for a year.
Ispoke to the person about the new cover for off road risks and at the end I said I would leave it as it is and
I would consider what to do at renewal time.
This has blown it as far as they are concerned and I will probably remove all my policies to another company, I did not authorise them to change anything and was probably have paid the full renewal costs with them. For the cover they have stated on the new policy document it is exorbitant cost for virtually no risk on their part not even a broken screen. I always thought it was the road insurance that was the highest risk with all those people and vehicle around making a big target for me to mow down.
If they argue just request the audio recording of your call, transcribe it verbatim (there are services that do this if you wish) reflect back to them what was actually said and request everything is restored back to what it was.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My home insurance very specifically excludes “loss of or damage to motor vehicles.“ Insurers expect vehicles to be separately insured, which I think is reasonable.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Interesting thread.
Was most impress with BUZBYS comment
" Gasit kits not covered , ok send it back then"
I wonder how many have let's things like this slide. solar, air jackes etc.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Interesting thread.
Was most impress with BUZBYS comment
" Gasit kits not covered , ok send it back then"
I wonder how many have let's things like this slide. solar, air jackes etc.

I raised the fitting of my EFOY with NFU. It was referred to their underwriter‘s technical department who gave it the ok once I had given them details of the fuel containers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back