Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just got my renewal notice through for a months time. I contacted the NFU who I use and asked for a quote for off the road insurance whilst this farce goes on, I think for many months or a year At least.
My premium for a year with two drivers and continental cover, fully comp is £484 and the year off the road in my own storage they asked for £402 for fire and theft cover only, no accidental cover and no Road traffic act cover.
I was somewhat taken aback at that rate seeing as it is alarmed tracked covered with a custom cover, locked behind a six foot wall and two cctv cameras covering it.
I thought 'sod it' I will take off the wheels, and drop it down on the axles to make the cat difficult to get at and leave it there. Without damage cover what am I paying for? Do any of you have other ideas of what to do, if this period extends into next year whilst we all lose everything financially, without the use of our assets.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I bet all those planes parked up at airports have cover, its about the value of your asset and what if someone comes along and trashes it, nicks parts from it, if it catches fire, a delivery lorry goes out of control or something falls of a plane and flattens it. etc etc

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I bet all those planes parked up at airports have cover, its about the value of your asset and what if someone comes along and trashes it, nicks parts from it, if it catches fire, a delivery lorry goes out of control or something falls of a plane and flattens it. etc etc
They'll claim it was an act of god and not payout ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Yes but they will not cover damage only fire and theft for that much, If I want damage cover it will be the full on the road cover. I will have to ask other companies as it is particularly bad value, for limited, nay, very limited cover for a big premium, I have already lost 5 months use so no risk there for them, no driving risk, which I always thought was the big one. It might be she thought I wanted third party fire and theft as against fully comp.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yes but they will not cover damage only fire and theft for that much, If I want damage cover it will be the full on the road cover. I will have to ask other companies as it is particularly bad value, for limited, nay, very limited cover for a big premium, I have already lost 5 months use so no risk there for them, no driving risk, which I always thought was the big one. It might be she thought I wanted third party fire and theft as against fully comp.
As much as I hate insurance companies..... do you insure your home..? That doesn’t go anywhere either...

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Heard yesterday that Admiral are refunding some part of premiums as there is less driving so fewer accidents.

Sadly, I'm not insured with them but other companies are being asked to consider similar action.

Reducing my annual milage from 8k to 5k on renewel in mid-April reduced my SAGA premium from £359 to £329 and when I said I was going to shop around the operative asked if I would like her to see if SAGA could do better. 30seconds later she said "how does £290 sound?" Same cover, same underwriter but a "loyal customer discount"!

Nowhere else got near that so SAGA got my money again this year. Now all I need is the ability to get some of those 5k miles under my belt!

Gordon
Gordon

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
For saving 82 quid I would stay with your original cover.Will 82 quid change your life..I don't think so.BUSBY.??

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You actually got a good price most companies now charge more for 3rd party insurance on a vehicle.

Nevertheless third party covers driving it, the price he has got is for it never to be driven out.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Some of these answers sound like the people writing them have NOT read my posting.
Full comprehensive cover £484, limited FIRE AND THEFT cover only £402 no accidental at all cover , like falling trees walls or vandals ripping it to bits etc, so pay the premium and get no cover for any risk other than FIRE and THEFT. It doesn't sound quite right to want so much for so little. What do other do for theirs when they know it cannot be used. The premium asked is a month pension, so I am not that keen to waste it. I need to find NON driving cover but all other risks covered or do without. The van is not going to drive off into any people or vehicles, with the wheels off unless the tealeafs are doing it. The aircraft mentioned are all covered on what is known as Ground Risk policy and a fraction of the cost of flying risk.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Some of these answers sound like the people writing them have NOT read my posting.
Full comprehensive cover £484, limited FIRE AND THEFT cover only £402 no accidental at all cover , like falling trees walls or vandals ripping it to bits etc, so pay the premium and get no cover for any risk other than FIRE and THEFT. It doesn't sound quite right to want so much for so little. What do other do for theirs when they know it cannot be used. The premium asked is a month pension, so I am not that keen to waste it. I need to find NON driving cover but all other risks covered or do without. The van is not going to drive off into any people or vehicles, with the wheels off unless the tealeafs are doing it. The aircraft mentioned are all covered on what is known as Ground Risk policy and a fraction of the cost of flying risk.
Have you tried a different insurance company? BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What do other do for theirs when they know it cannot be used.
Leave it fully insured. If you ask for a 3rd party only policy they'll still want 350 I'd have thought even though it isn't moving.
ike falling trees walls or vandals ripping it to bits etc, so pay the premium and get no cover for any risk other than FIRE and THEFT.
That's what full comp is for.
Here once over a certain age T,P,F&Theft is all you can get .full comp isn't offered.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Have you tried a different insurance company? BUSBY.
Not yet that comes tomorrow onwards, but probably not get anything else. Anything better would need accidental and malicious damage cover,ONLY. certainly not Road Traffic Act cover, until the lockdown is over ,and the way it is going might be a year or so. NFU said it was the very high value of the van that was the reason, but other things I have have high value to insurance ratio to cost.

Deleted User
Not yet that comes tomorrow onwards, but probably not get anything else. Anything better would need accidental and malicious damage cover,ONLY. certainly not Road Traffic Act cover, until the lockdown is over ,and the way it is going might be a year or so. NFU said it was the very high value of the van that was the reason, but other things I have have high value to insurance ratio to cost.

So you are prepared to leave a'high value' van uninsured!!!

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Am with the NFU they gave me accidental damage on a zorn.
I initially spoke to yourself on Wednesday whereby you requested that cover for your Motorhome be reduced to Accidental Damage, Fire & Theft Only.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try A-Plan for a quote as we found they were cheaper than anyone else recently. We have got fully comprehensive cover as our MH would cost around £95k to replace so wouldn't take any risk with a lower level cover.

Third Party / Fire & Theft type cover isn't always cheaper, possibly the people that tend to buy these policies may be more of a risk as they may not take such good care of their vehicles etc. I would also guess that the vast majority of policies taken out are fully comprehensive so the policies may be better value due to the larger demand for them and thus more competition ...

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Yes, it seems they are really taking the proverbial. I got a £20 cut for halving the mileage.

I would think the biggest financial risk you pose to an insurer is causing damage or injury to someone else i.e. the third-party bit. You can do one hell of a lot of damage, even with a just a 3.5 tonne "missile". The risk of doing that if you are not allowed to go out on the roads is practically nil.

I would think the theft and fire risk is pretty minimal in comparison to that.

On the other hand, if these insurers are underwriting risk in the travel arena and other categories, they will be taking a massive and potentially existential hit there and will need to mitigate that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I did the quotes for our MH there wasn't a lot of difference between 1,500 miles and 5,000 miles, so the basis of the insurance seems to be for the risk to the vehicle itself, regardless of whether it's used on the road or not, with an addition depending on the number of miles you intend to actually drive it. The other thing about MHs is that just because they aren't being driven doesn't mean they're not being used, ie lived in, for a period of time which in itself adds risk, someone may drive somewhere, stay there for 2 months then drive home again ... the mileage itself may be small but the actual 'day to day' risk due to it being used is higher.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Trouble is they price on statistics,,As we all know they are a load of bo.. ocks but they seem to make big profits for insurance companies..BUSBY.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I agree with the point made by Minxy Girl , insurance companies do not see the number of miles driven in a motorhome as a big risk issue. On the other hand the postcode where you keep it can make a big difference to the insurance cost. Put the two together and it comes as no surprise to me that GWAYGWAY can only save £82, indeed I am surprised it is as much as this.

I will keep my motorhome ready to drive. I can think of several reasons to want to move it at short notice. A fire at home, a relative needing care and support, someone needing somewhere to sleep in an emergency..............

There might even be some temporary easing in the lockdown that allows travel where social distancing and isolation can be maintained. I am not holding out much hope on this but I reckon I could maintain just as much social isolation in my motorhome on a CL or a forest site with no facilities as I do living in a flat.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Trouble is they price on statistics,,As we all know they are a load of bo.. ocks but they seem to make big profits for insurance companies..BUSBY.
Insurance companies also make big losses at times, my Track/road car is often sorned if I choose to have ‘laid up’ insurance instead of full comprehensive including track use its about £50 difference. So I just keep the full comp in place adjustments to the insurance costs £35 a time

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
The remains of my beloved Hymer...before and after...I’d insure it

9AB1CEB0-8C99-4E6E-B264-8C8E16B8D7CD.jpeg
F4E1E8A9-1226-4388-95BC-81D5B72E15ED.jpeg