Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have received my renewal from NFU insurance with whom I have always been with, It went up by a fair amount even though it was hardly used last year. I asked about the premium and said that my wife was no longer on the policy as she has not got a C1E any longer after 70th birthday. They very kindly informed me that as she was no longer on the policy, it would go up by another £100 . I asked why and the answer was because she could no longer share the driving and it increased the risk.
She has never ever driven it since we had it so I cannot see that on.
I shopped around and there was a large variance between quotes and when queried another company dropped their quote a £120 to match the NFU, I declined that offer. Then I got a quote from Comfort and got a quote of £100+ less and including UK and continental breakdown even though there will be no chance of ever going abroad again in the near future if ever. I have gone with Comfort as it seemed good value, but the differences in the quotes was quite remarkable, it makes me wonder how much these agents think they can get as against the prices charged by the actual insurers.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If your partner is not a named driver it tends to be more expensive, as they may have to send a driver to bring you home, in the event of an illness
That's the reason my wife asked to be taken off the policy, and yes, it went up by a significant amount. She didn't want to drive it back, in fact she hasn't driven for years, ever since she backed into the lamppost outside our previous house. (Who put that there?)

It even goes up if you only have one vehicle.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I always include my wife on the policy, although she has not driven any vehicle for about 15 years. It does make the premium lower.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have gone to comfort now and with breakdown it is a lot cheaper than NFU quoted before the increase

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My wife doesn’t drive and on any insurance I’ve ever had they always provide a driver to get back to UK if I’m incapacitated we are with LV= for second year it increased £20 over last year.😊

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
On a slightly different tack - my friend and travel companion is the named driver on my vehicle insurances. However if I was taken ill whilst we were on holiday she wouldn’t be able to drive my MH home as she would be in her own unit and hopefully looking after my dog!! Wonder if I need to consider adding another name?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
On a slightly different tack - my friend and travel companion is the named driver on my vehicle insurances. However if I was taken ill whilst we were on holiday she wouldn’t be able to drive my MH home as she would be in her own unit and hopefully looking after my dog!! Wonder if I need to consider adding another name?
Not unless you take them with you or you are close enough for them to travel to you? You would be better off letting insurance provide the driver for you in your policy?😊

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Put the wife as an additional driver on our 23 year old's ( zero NCD) car policy and it lopped £200 off the premium. Used our actual addresses and we live 100 miles apart. Play the game!

Insurers are like professional gamblers, they study facts, statistics, risks, odds and hunches to come up with a rate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
On parents van 3 drivers mother, father and me. in the event of father not being able to drive home I flew out and drove them back. Mother could, but did not want to, and for what it cost thanks to cheap airfares the longest it took me to get there was 18 hours from the call, that included packing up a flat I was not returning to, driving from the north of England to Wales then Wales to Bristol airport and missing the connecting flight in Madrid, then the train from Valencia
My van only me. if it ever comes to the stage were some else needs it one call and a credit card payment and its insured, easy peasy . Having a single named driver not a practical option.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
My car driving licence can be used as a provisional licence for learning on a motorcycle and if I wanted to take my HGV..BUSBY.
You need to go on the Dvla website, it explains what is required and how to apply.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You need to go on the Dvla website, it explains what is required and how to apply.
I don't because I have no intention of taking any extra driving tests.BUSBY☺️

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Been with Comfort insurance for years!if the premiums go up it’s pence so don’t bother shopping around like I have to with my cars!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
My 'vans insurance is due in 4 weeks. I retired (early, I'm 63) 3 weeks ago do I have to mention that?
I won't be doing any more than the 7k miles I've been insured for in the past 12 months.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My 'vans insurance is due in 4 weeks. I retired (early, I'm 63) 3 weeks ago do I have to mention that?
I won't be doing any more than the 7k miles I've been insured for in the past 12 months.
You normally have to declare your occupation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been with Comfort insurance for years!if the premiums go up it’s pence so don’t bother shopping around like I have to with my cars!
My Comfort renewal was only £8 more than last year.
Got the car renewal yesterday from Co-op £257 up from £197 and they said it would now be insured with Zenith (off loading their insurance business). Went on a comparison site, best price £106 guess who with, yep Zenith.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back