Installation of 12 volt socket (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I assume this question has been asked many times before.
My vehicle has NO 12 volt sockets in the habitation area.
I need one for charging various toys and am asking for your help please.
The leisure batteries are only one metre from my proposed mounting area and the socket will only be used for light use.
Many thanks in anticipation of help.
Wilf

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi, not sure what help you need but just decide on the type of socket you would like , ie automotive type or DIN, there may be others available but suspect the automotive type found in most cars would be the best. might as well fit a double while you are at it and select wires and fuse to cater for a 20A load even if you think you wont need it.
you should be able to take it straight off the battery .
ta andy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Consider fitting a USB socket rather than a cigar lighter type, unless of course you need one. Or fit both! I would fit an in line fuse, about 5A should be safe but ideally you want to feed it off a circuit you can switch off, not directly connected to the battery.
USB2.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed with DBK...fit USB and cig sockets.
my personal choice would be DIN, or Hella as they are also known.
far superior to a cig socket and higher rated at 16amps but accessories dont usually come with them...prefering cheaper cig plugs.

Cig sockets are fine for cig lighters but for accessories, in my view, they are dangerous.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I fitted DIN throughout my van and for most things I use ie usb outlets and chargers I have to use an adapter anyway as that is the most popular plug . so the op will have to decide what suits best .
for a single 12v outlet the simplest way would be off the battery and just pull the fuse if you need to kill the circuit, but again that will depend on the bother he wants to go to to fit it .

sinner

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 765
Exp
since 2011
Consider fitting a USB socket rather than a cigar lighter type, unless of course you need one. Or fit both! I would fit an in line fuse, about 5A should be safe but ideally you want to feed it off a circuit you can switch off, not directly connected to the battery.
View attachment 55655

where would I get one like your pic?

thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
where would I get one like your pic?

thanks
Just Google: "12 volt USB socket" and you should find several. The prices have come down a bit since I bought mine. They come in different current ratings but this shouldn't harm whatever device you plug into it. If you can find one saying USB 2 this would probably be the one to go for as these have a higher current rating than the original USB sockets. The USB 2 and 3 standards are more usually used for higher data transfer rates but they also cover higher current output too - as a generalisation, 'tis a complex subject.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back