In France have you noticed local attitudes are aggressive. When you park up if not on an aire (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 16, 2019
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
I had a house in Brittany - Great place and good neighbours in a little hamlet. They like the British although there will be a minority who dont.
But, went to Normandy for a holiday after we sold the house - completely different and I certainly felt a bit of hostility.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
But instead of paying to go into the aire we parked in the large parking area before and next to the aire no signage at all saying no parking
There is no reason at all why you should have gone on the Aire if you didn't want to. Legally ... unless a sign says something different, you are perfectly entitled to PARK (if you want to stay for the night, then just look dead! :ROFLMAO: ) wherever you find room that suits you and as long as you are not in the way for other road users. Keep in mind to always be careful with the cycle lane!!!
Now, sometimes in big towns parking might be taken in charge by a private society . Therefore, the usual rules might differ. So best is to check if you want to feel at ease.

For example : you can ask google " Règles de stationnement à Rambouillet département 78"

I know that with my MoHo Max , I can park on a normal place of parking as long as I fit in without using more than 1 place.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
In over 20 years traveling all over France we have only found people too willing to go out of their way to help even having a whole row of vans shift over a foot at a time to make room for us to get in at Fouras.
The only hassle we have ever had was in Germany the day the EU referendum was announced, the Germans were quite happy about it saying they wish they could do the same but one Dutch lady who had been very chatty the previous few days got quite nasty with us and tried to get a few others to go against us but she was just ignored.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Nope.
We are in Brittany at the moment & nothing but friendly faces & helpfulness as always. France is the home of le camping car!
Uk could learn a lesson or two in that respect but I won’t hold my breath!

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Always had a good reception in France , BUT to get a great reception

I tell them I’m not English

I’m Scottish

😂
Funny that...I felt i'd have to say the same when I used to go to Scotland...as I'm English.

Got sick of hearing it...So I don't bother with Scotland any more...:) France is much better.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Last year I arrived at the CCP site in Millau, couldn't reach the sensor with my card (single crewed RHD).
A French man took my card to enter (y)
Finally found a place to park opposite 2 British vans - really tight parking - the Brits were sat round a table between their vans. I started to manoeuvre my 7.5m van into a very tight space.
The Brits ignored me even when I got close to them. A French camper, concerned that I might damage my van on the tree next to the space guided me in(y)
The Brits did nothing
An A class Rapido and a C class Burstner spent the evening watching TV outside....
Bankers!!
I have the pic of them with reg numbers - I hope they're not members......

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Oh come on ;) pick on someone else. I was born nearly 70 years ago so you must be ancient :LOL:
For the record I'm not at all entitled or excessively demanding etc and wish 'they' hadn't picked my lovely name

Karen, traditionally meaning pure 😇
sorry but have a niece and have to say she is a right Karen and 'Karen'
Have known some lovely ones bit same with any name, there were 6/7 Sues where I worked most of us were lovely. Never had a happy party when i left (well n ot that i know of

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
In over 20 years traveling all over France we have only found people too willing to go out of their way to help even having a whole row of vans shift over a foot at a time to make room for us to get in at Fouras.
The only hassle we have ever had was in Germany the day the EU referendum was announced, the Germans were quite happy about it saying they wish they could do the same but one Dutch lady who had been very chatty the previous few days got quite nasty with us and tried to get a few others to go against us but she was just ignored.
The day of the brexit vote, our french neighbours made a point of coming to see us, and made it quite clear that we would always be welcome.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
There is no reason at all why you should have gone on the Aire if you didn't want to. Legally ... unless a sign says something different, you are perfectly entitled to PARK (if you want to stay for the night, then just look dead! :ROFLMAO: ) wherever you find room that suits you and as long as you are not in the way for other road users. Keep in mind to always be careful with the cycle lane!!!
Now, sometimes in big towns parking might be taken in charge by a private society . Therefore, the usual rules might differ. So best is to check if you want to feel at ease.

For example : you can ask google " Règles de stationnement à Rambouillet département 78"

I know that with my MoHo Max , I can park on a normal place of parking as long as I fit in without using more than 1 place.
No doubt you're right but having realised that the locals (or some of them at least) might be a bit sensitive to motorhome parking, parking outside the air rather than either moving on or stumping up the paltry €9 for the night could be seen by some as "prendre la pisse" (as I am sure they don't say in France . . .)

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
No doubt you're right but having realised that the locals (or some of them at least) might be a bit sensitive to motorhome parking, parking outside the air rather than either moving on or stumping up the paltry €9 for the night could be seen by some as "prendre la pisse" (as I am sure they don't say in France . . .)
You're right , we don't say this. I have no example right now to give you, I need to have it in a full sentence to find the right expression, different ones could be used.
As for the 9 euros a night, I tend to think that it's not the price of it, it's just the way you prefer to spend it. I would choose the free parking and take a drink at the bar. It will make the bar work as well, and will be more satisfying for me. While may be someone else will choose to pay 9 euros the night on the aire, feel safe, and helping the "aires" job, but won't go out to have a drink. Some will do both, some none... that's another choice. Choosing a motorhomer life style doesn't mean (again, only my personal way to see it, don't take me wrong no criticism here!) that we have all the same kind of money. I will probably see month after month what's best for my purse, and my well being... I have to get some experience on the matter!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Funny that...I felt i'd have to say the same when I used to go to Scotland...as I'm English.

Got sick of hearing it...So I don't bother with Scotland any more...:) France is much better.
I must admit last yr we went to Scotland just got over the border and had a flat tyre I thought here we go Someone English on holiday the price will go up
But no very nice company tyre fitters cheaper than the garage I have use for 20yrs

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The French,,aggressive???

Pffft if they had been we wouldn't have had to liberate them 😉🤣🤣

I'll get my coat.

I like the French, as long as they park at least 20 feet away

As for parking outside the aire I guarantee there's many French motorhomes that will also do it . As long as you're not sneaking in to use the facilities I see nothing wrong with it.

I've parked outside many a campsite in my time , using a business should be a choice , you shouldn't be forced.
That's the biggest reason the UK has so many restrictions and why other countries like spain, Portugal, Greece only enforce restrictions when the campsites are open.

But you get asshole locals in every country. ...

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We had a little episode with an irate fellow camper who was convinced, despite us pointing put to him the diagram on the aire’s map showing we were correctly parked, that he was right. He got all hot and bothered threatening to call the police.
Rather than take further issue with him, we moved to another space and forgot about him. But that was one person. So wouldn’t generalise about all French.
In fact, almost all of our dealings with French people have been friendly.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 669
Just back from 3 weeks in France and no issues, to be honest they were very polite and helpful.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2019
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Swift
Exp
Since 2012
On arrival at the aire in Saint - Lò I found it to be full with a car parked in one of the MH bays. A French MH owner told me to park in the street and wait a few minutes as the car belonged to someone in the nearby college who should be leaving very soon. I had a bit of banter with the French whilst waiting and when the car owner arrived I headed back to my van. As I got into my MH a French van sped past me and shot into the area of the now vacant bay and I was very surprised by the reaction of the people I had been speaking with. They blocked the bay and made the queue jumper back out and then got me parked for the night. A good few corks were pulled that night and I still keep in contact with some of that crowd.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
You're right , we don't say this. I have no example right now to give you, I need to have it in a full sentence to find the right expression, different ones could be used.
As for the 9 euros a night, I tend to think that it's not the price of it, it's just the way you prefer to spend it. I would choose the free parking and take a drink at the bar. It will make the bar work as well, and will be more satisfying for me. While may be someone else will choose to pay 9 euros the night on the aire, feel safe, and helping the "aires" job, but won't go out to have a drink. Some will do both, some none... that's another choice. Choosing a motorhomer life style doesn't mean (again, only my personal way to see it, don't take me wrong no criticism here!) that we have all the same kind of money. I will probably see month after month what's best for my purse, and my well being... I have to get some experience on the matter!!
"Se faire chier" or something like that?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
"Se faire chier"
Actually , I would have put it in a negative way. Staying outside instead of doing something he doesn't want to do (9eur and go on the aire) just to "obey" someone who has no right to tell him off... Il (ne) se fait pas chier, or , il (ne) se prend pas la tête, or il en a rien à foutre or Il en a rien à taper! :cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back