In France have you noticed local attitudes are aggressive. When you park up if not on an aire (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
In the last couple of years, I've noticed a shift in attitudes from other local motorhomes to British tourists in Germany and France.

Some of them are downright rude and obnoxious.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
No, that's not something I have noticed.
What we are observing is that some areas are restricting where and when we can enter or park in order to reduce the impact that too many motorhomes can have on the place. One recent example is a ban on parking for vehicles over 2 meters in the centre of Dieppe.
While it's an inconvenience I see it as a response to the massive growth of motorhomeing and the understandable wish of locals to limit their impact.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Filling up at an auto filler this week I was having bother putting my pin into a 'flat screen' display, ie. 'no buttons'
A non spring chicken local lady approached with a smile and helped.
(The acceptance of the numbers touched was way above my eye line with tiny stars, You have been advised)
All we've been met with on this trip is smiles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
We parked up in the public car park in Saint Eulalia de vermin
Tiny sign at entrance said no campers after 19.00 hrs local came up a said at 18.50 you can’t park here soon you must go to the pay aire
So we respected his advice moved
But instead of paying to go into the aire we parked in the large parking area before and next to the aire no signage at all saying no parking
To then find a local shouting something in French pointing to the aire and doing it several times
The wife said come on it’s only 9 euros so to appease her and thinking we may end up in a situation paid and went into the aire
To then find same local driving round aire and getting another French camper to check our ticket we had paid
I was furious if this camper and his wife hadn’t been elderly and very polite I think I would have ended up in blows
So maybe after this I just feel sore

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Predictive text changed name it was
Sainte eulalie de Cernon
The nights templars village

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Predictive text changed name it was
Sainte eulalie de Cernon
The nights templars village
Down south then, explains it, most motorhome unfriendly place in France, you can even get done in the streets down there.
But as to your guy he is only one , compared that with UK where near enough everyone complains about motorhomes.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Im assuming you are talking about the area highlighted in red?
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 10.02.30 copy.jpg

Believe me I'm all for a free park up and while there may be no signage there, it's down a dead end with an aire at the end of it.
Personally I'd not think of parking there especially as you say at 9 euro you have the facilities of the aire and take advantage of such?
As for the guys attitude, you probably just got unlucky, maybe there's been times were several have parked up there then used the water / waste on the aire for "free", maybe they blocked access to the land behind said area? Could be any number of reasons.
Likely if this is your only experience then it's bad luck, if you're getting it everywhere and no one else seems to be then some introspection may be required.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Tiny sign at entrance said no campers after 19.00 hrs local came up a said at 18.50 you can’t park here soon you must go to the pay aire
But instead of paying to go into the aire we parked in the large parking area before and next to the aire no signage at all saying no parking
To then find a local shouting something in French pointing to the aire and doing it several times
The wife said come on it’s only 9 euros so to appease her and thinking we may end up in a situation paid and went into the aire
To then find same local driving round aire and getting another French camper to check our ticket we had paid
I was furious if this camper and his wife hadn’t been elderly and very polite I think I would have ended up in blows
I suspect if you had gone to the aire and paid when the chap told you there was no parking. After 7pm it might have been different it probably appeared that you didn't want to pay unless really pushed to do so and that upset the locals.
Although having said that there are plenty of french who use every trick in the book to not pay.
Ive found France at alot more welcoming of motorhomes than the UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Local tax has probably been used to provide the aire.
The 9 euro will be offsetting this.
Can't understand why native was getting grumpy with freeloader :unsure:
I'm sure you planned to spend vast amounts of money in the nearest hostellery to offset the charge but have now decided to move on?

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
If the rule was 19:00 and you were 18:50...I think my reply would have been a merci missiuer, and carried on regardless

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back