IAN and HELGA,,ONWARDS and UPWARDS!! (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
locally on facebook the last few weeks you could of had all the tools for a workshop under a grand

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning,,,

still very windy here, but of rain, off and on, but not bad!

boarding the loft today, and that’s it,, had a call from a builder yesterday evening, he said he has some blocks for me to lay, next week, I start that on Monday, next,, I’m going to see him tomorrow evening at his house, just to discuss etc !! Handy,,,,

I slept well,, despite the wind, but it didn’tbother me,,, I must say, the closer I’m getting to this flat, the more I’m thinking of having these last 4/5 years in Helga, I can honestly say, I’ve never slept so well, seen so much, met so many, and been as comfortable anywhere before! When and if she goes, I think I will shed a tear!! Lol.

have a good day, catch up later,, xxxx

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Good morning,,,

still very windy here, but of rain, off and on, but not bad!

boarding the loft today, and that’s it,, had a call from a builder yesterday evening, he said he has some blocks for me to lay, next week, I start that on Monday, next,, I’m going to see him tomorrow evening at his house, just to discuss etc !! Handy,,,,

I slept well,, despite the wind, but it didn’tbother me,,, I must say, the closer I’m getting to this flat, the more I’m thinking of having these last 4/5 years in Helga, I can honestly say, I’ve never slept so well, seen so much, met so many, and been as comfortable anywhere before! When and if she goes, I think I will shed a tear!! Lol.

have a good day, catch up later,, xxxx

Is it not an option to keep Helga then Ian,as not easy to get another one if you change your mind once the money filters away?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Morning Ian, hope the weather has improved for you, it's very windy here in Chester but not raining, (at the moment).
Not sure what you are thinking of making in this workshop but experience has taught me you always need more space than you think, I have a 18ft x 12ft workshop which shrinks very quickly when I have want to use my table saw.
I decided to mount in on lockable wheels so easily spin it around and if needed I can move it outside when cutting longer sections.
I bought an ex-demo model Electra Beckum table saw with all the attachments and extension tables, made a considerable saving from new but got the pleasant surprise that when I went to pick it up they loaded a brand new one into my van, the guy explaining that if he sold me the demo model he would have to take it all to bits and then reassemble it's replacement, so easier for him to just give me the brand new one.
It can manage a full 8' x 4' sheet.

If you are buying rough sawn timber you will need a planer / thicknesser I was lucky to find an older model second hand De-Walt with a 10" bed in excellent condition, I also have a very old De-Walt dust extractor unit much needed when working in a smaller space on the router table, table saw and planer.
There are plenty of second hand routers on ebay but be careful some are only fit for the bin, I have a couple of Elu mof 96 routers, excellent 1/4" machines which you can still get parts for.
For heavier bench work I have a Makita 3612 1/2" router mounted in a triton router table fantastic but of kit.
Radial arm saws are a great bit of kit but as I'm sure you will know keep away from the Yellow De-Walt stuff just not as well made as the older Green and Orange De-Walt gear.
If you shop around you can still find Elu tools in good nick, I am still using a couple of Elu 12v hand drills they must be 25yrs old fantastic bit of kit.

One bit of kit which sits there but is invaluable when needed is my Morticing machine if you need one don't buy a small machine a well built older cast iron job will serve you well coupled with decent chisels makes easy work if you have a lot of joints.
There a quite a few places you can buy older excellent condition hand planes and any other bits of kit you might need.
Good luck with whatever you have in mind.

A couple of pics of my set-up.

pic 1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Morning Ian, hope the weather has improved for you, it's very windy here in Chester but not raining, (at the moment).
Not sure what you are thinking of making in this workshop but experience has taught me you always need more space than you think, I have a 18ft x 12ft workshop which shrinks very quickly when I have want to use my table saw.
I decided to mount in on lockable wheels so easily spin it around and if needed I can move it outside when cutting longer sections.
I bought an ex-demo model Electra Beckum table saw with all the attachments and extension tables, made a considerable saving from new but got the pleasant surprise that when I went to pick it up they loaded a brand new one into my van, the guy explaining that if he sold me the demo model he would have to take it all to bits and then reassemble it's replacement, so easier for him to just give me the brand new one.
It can manage a full 8' x 4' sheet.

If you are buying rough sawn timber you will need a planer / thicknesser I was lucky to find an older model second hand De-Walt with a 10" bed in excellent condition, I also have a very old De-Walt dust extractor unit much needed when working in a smaller space on the router table, table saw and planer.
There are plenty of second hand routers on ebay but be careful some are only fit for the bin, I have a couple of Elu mof 96 routers, excellent 1/4" machines which you can still get parts for.
For heavier bench work I have a Makita 3612 1/2" router mounted in a triton router table fantastic but of kit.
Radial arm saws are a great bit of kit but as I'm sure you will know keep away from the Yellow De-Walt stuff just not as well made as the older Green and Orange De-Walt gear.
If you shop around you can still find Elu tools in good nick, I am still using a couple of Elu 12v hand drills they must be 25yrs old fantastic bit of kit.

One bit of kit which sits there but is invaluable when needed is my Morticing machine if you need one don't buy a small machine a well built older cast iron job will serve you well coupled with decent chisels makes easy work if you have a lot of joints.
There a quite a few places you can buy older excellent condition hand planes and any other bits of kit you might need.
Good luck with whatever you have in mind.

A couple of pics of my set-up.

View attachment 350959

View attachment 350960

View attachment 350961

View attachment 350962

Christ rob!! Do you think I’m gonna be making gear for harrods! Lol.

I leave that to you mate!!

but great advice re routers etc, I will have a good look round over and after Xmas mate,, I really appreciate the fully inclusive post though, gives me loads to think about! Cheers, xxx

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Is it not an option to keep Helga then Ian,as not easy to get another one if you change your mind once the money filters away?

hi jo,, I did think about keeping her jo, but I’m not keen on leaving her in a field for any length of time, and like I said in previous post,, I don’t need half the extras and equipment Helga has,, I’m always on plug in,, and I will need the money too !

thanks for thinking of me though! Xxx

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Well I’ve just got in,, and I did the best thing I could on Sunday, I took my canopy in!!

I have just arrived back at Helga, and I’ve spent the last 20 mins helping my neighbor rescue his awning from the other side and top of his van,, totally destroyed, poles all bent, we hD to Stanley knife half of it to get it out of the runners! He’s so lucky it did no damage to the top of his caravanne!!

apparently his big old brown Labrador, billy was sitting in it and all of a sudden it just went! Poor old sod,, shit himself!!

so good deed done, now going to shower, and chill for the afternoon,, I doubt wether I will even put my head out of the door,, shocking wind and rain here now!

hopefully your dry and warm where you are?
xxxxx

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Ian has completed the list of jobs in my daughter's house (and done a few extra too). The paving stones at the front and back look really good; the shed roof is nice and tidy, and - most important - waterproof; the plaster's fully dried out in the back bedroom; the outside double butler sink is sitting nicely on its brick supports; and lastly, today, Ian has fitted the loft ladder and boarded the loft. Kirsty's boyfriend Josh has just taken the photo below. Bearing in mind the loft is at least 8 feet high she now has plenty of room to store all the things she should throw away - taking after her father! And no, Kirsty hasn't got two heads - Josh was using the panoramic feature on his phone!

Thanks very much Ian for all your hard work!

IMG_4514.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That's a cracking looking loft. if it were mine, there would be a room built in there

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Christ rob!! Do you think I’m gonna be making gear for harrods! Lol.

I leave that to you mate!!

but great advice re routers etc, I will have a good look round over and after Xmas mate,, I really appreciate the fully inclusive post though, gives me loads to think about! Cheers, xxx

Oh Ian just wait, I started off making some garden planters out of scaffolding boards, it's amazing how something can just spiral and before you know it just when you thought you had retired the day hasn't got enough hours left....:xdoh::xdoh::xdoh:

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good evening,,,,

well today went by without too much drama, high winds, but of rain, but not bad,, now an update!!

I was called by a local builder that I have done a bit ofwork for, and this is what I’ve been offered!

5 months work, converting a block of flats into four houses, demolishion, all inside work, new walls etc,, Now he’s not offering brilliant money, but for a run of work that’s inside for the winter it will do me nicely!

now also, he’s asked me to live on site in Helga, for a bit of security etc,,,

there is space behind the flats, a bit sheltered but may be ok for tv internet etc!
A good supply of electric, and water, and an easy dump for waste etc,, he has offered me a fiver a day extra, but it would be a saving of over £80 a week, at the moment, also when, and if, I move into the flat, I can leave her where I’m working free of charge , and it’s in Norwich , Close to all shops etc,,

what do you think?

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Yes, he wants me to start next Thursday, so I could move that weekend,, I’m sorely tempted, no rent to pay, and a hard standing , safe place to keep Helga, over the winter , and it means I can advertise her and anyone whose interested can come at anytime!

in fact he’s just rung me, he’s organised it all, and offered me £50 a week to do it,, so I think I will. !! Big pub across the road, so I might even break my over a year of alcohol abstention, and have a drink over Christmas! Lol.

so it looks like I will be a FLT till the flat happens! Lol.

xxx

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Ian,

Sounds like a no brainer to me. Where abouts in Norwich is the job ? Might pop along for a cuppa.

Mark.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Good evening,,,,

well today went by without too much drama, high winds, but of rain, but not bad,, now an update!!

I was called by a local builder that I have done a bit ofwork for, and this is what I’ve been offered!

5 months work, converting a block of flats into four houses, demolishion, all inside work, new walls etc,, Now he’s not offering brilliant money, but for

what do you think?

Sounds good to me Ian,guaranteed wage for five months, a bird in the hand and all that. And big savings on site fees to give you time to think about what to do with Helga. Sounds like a win win to me mate, go for it cus your due abit of good luck!:xThumb::xThumb:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Yes, he wants me to start next Thursday, so I could move that weekend,, I’m sorely tempted, no rent to pay, and a hard standing , safe place to keep Helga, over the winter , and it means I can advertise her and anyone whose interested can come at anytime!

in fact he’s just rung me, he’s organised it all, and offered me £50 a week to do it,, so I think I will. !! Big pub across the road, so I might even break my over a year of alcohol abstention, and have a drink over Christmas! Lol.

so it looks like I will be a FLT till the flat happens! Lol.

xxx

I would not do it myself Ian as I know a chap who did similar to you in a caravan and he ended up in hospital when he disturbed someone robbing the site?

If you go for it just tell the chap you will only call the police if you hear anything on site,

plenty of dead heroes in the graveyard !!!

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I would not do it myself Ian as I know a chap who did similar to you in a caravan and he ended up in hospital when he disturbed someone robbing the site?

If you go for it just tell the chap you will only call the police if you hear anything on site,

plenty of dead heroes in the graveyard !!!

hi mark,, the flats are occupied at one end mate,we’re doing one house at a time, so I won’t be there on my own! And there’s a lovely looking woman in no4 ! Lolol

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Sounds good to me Ian,guaranteed wage for five months, a bird in the hand and all that. And big savings on site fees to give you time to think about what to do with Helga. Sounds like a win win to me mate, go for it cus your due abit of good luck!:xThumb::xThumb:

well my luck is def on the up mate,, since the donation thread started,, amazing!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
hi mark,, the flats are occupied at one end mate,we’re doing one house at a time, so I won’t be there on my own! And there’s a lovely looking woman in no4 ! Lolol

Win,Win Ian,

Sounds better by the minute, is like what the say at Bingo, “knock on the door it’s number 4”

Good luck with the new job...
:xrofl: :xrofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back