I Need Help To Answer A Question (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I've been asked the following question but don't really frequent campsites or CLs so hopefully some of you can answer this. Its for an aire style parking area in Scotland.

A quick question – If we put in electricity hook up points – how are they normally monitored at other sites and how is payment taken and access given to the supply to motorhome owners?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Most are unmonitored and as such open to potential abuse

some (rare in U.K.) have meters

if I were fitting it I would give it free (In overnight charge) for low amps 6A max, then charge if higher wanted, but this would involve changing the breaker which could be a nuisance, or too complicated but something we have come across in France On camp sites

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
I've been asked the following question but don't really frequent campsites or CLs so hopefully some of you can answer this. Its for an aire style parking area in Scotland.

A quick question – If we put in electricity hook up points – how are they normally monitored at other sites and how is payment taken and access given to the supply to motorhome owners?
Good question, and one that I have pondered.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I only tour abroad and in my experience when checking in (I never book ahead) they ask if you want EHU. If non-EHU it is cheaper although there may be a 'live' EHU outlet at the pitch. If choosing leccy it is generally included within the overall site fee unless the supply is metered. I haven't found meters in France to be very common.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My own view of an Aire is somewhere to park, empty toilet and obtain fresh water. In that order.
EHU complicates the facility as you start to get into more regulations, maintainance and tests etc. In summer no one should really need EHU and in winter they will try to abuse it..
Don't bother would be my choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Most sites who provide electricity do so at 16A (some are lower 6A / 10A) and the cost is, normally, included in the pitch fees whether you use it or not. This mitigates the need for monitoring \ management which could be a pain for an "aire operator" in UK but whether it's "fair" or not???
As to the level of cost an example could be New England Bay C&MC site who charge c£5 - £6 \ night extra for an electric pitch (@16A) over non-electric.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Some aires in France that have free EHU set it up to come on only at night when the street lights come on.
This would be a reasonable compromise I think.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry. Stupid question. Whatdoes 6amp cover?

TV
Heating
Fridge I havn't a clue.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No

TV
Heating
Fridge I havn't a clue.

TV and fridge would be ok,

TV
Heating
Fridge I havn't a clue.

TV and fridge would be fine, probably not heating, or electric kettle.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

What they do will depend very much on how the place is to be operated. If someone is only going to come round once or twice a day to collect money then this will be open to abuse if they intend to charge extra for electricity. Folk might wait until they have done their round, saying they don't want electricity then connect up as soon as the "warden" has left.

My suggestion would be to include an element for electricity (6A maximum) in the price whether they use it or not. This would be much easier to manage. Price might need to be higher in the winter as demand likely to be greater, for example because MHs with solar who wouldn't need it in summer may do in winter. The price will probably have to be adjusted in the light of experience based on usage. :)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
1kw - one bar fire 🔥 is usually about the max for 6 amps. You will probably be ok to add the fidge. Truma electric shower is probably not an option

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
That's sounds a bit ominous.... Power supplied FROM the streetlights. ::bigsmile:

Been there many years ago when we worked on the motorways, after all no one wants to have that massive genny running day and night to power the site office and caravans.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As to the level of cost an example could be New England Bay C&MC site who charge c£5 - £6 \ night extra for an electric pitch (@16A) over non-electric.
Just thinking aloud........
Actual caravan and motorhome sites have to allow for leccy use by caravanners staying for a while, fully equipped with domestic stuff and heated awnings/annexes.
I assume that the OP's proposed aire, being an aire, will only cater for m/hs which are generally not so comprehensively set up and have fewer leccy hungry appliances. I've never seen a caravan fitted with solar panels or refillable gas to provide an alternative or supplementary energy source.

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
A few sites we used in Germany metered electric. They came round and connected you then read meter at the end of your stay. I thought this was pretty fair but then we don't have air con or anything that would cost much to run.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
That's sounds a bit ominous.... Power supplied FROM the streetlights. ::bigsmile:

No, It comes on when the street lights come on, it's obviously not fed directly FROM the street lights but would go through a transformer I imagine.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just thinking aloud........
Actual caravan and motorhome sites have to allow for leccy use by caravanners staying for a while, fully equipped with domestic stuff and heated awnings/annexes.
I assume that the OP's proposed aire, being an aire, will only cater for m/hs which are generally not so comprehensively set up and have fewer leccy hungry appliances. I've never seen a caravan fitted with solar panels or refillable gas to provide an alternative or supplementary energy source.
Not sure what additional domestic stuff a caravan has over a motorhome? Having had both don't think we have any less in the motorhome.:unsure:
I've certainly seen some caravans with solar panels and think it's a growing trend (but minimal volume).
Seen a number of caravans with refillable gas however all would normally have, at least, exchange cylinders onboard so they certainly have alternative energy source.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
movan poki a rough explanation.
First it's easier to convert amps into watts, a figure that's quoted on the back on almost every electrical appliance. Go look 😁
Mains voltage is meant to be 230volts in Europe. To convert we multiply the mains 230 X the Amps 6.
230 X 6 = 1380 watts.

1000watts is also know as a KW kilowatt. 👍

So as long as you don't power anything up more than that it should not trip the breaker.
When you look at so called "camping appliances" in shops they are just low power units.
Example a travel / camping kettle will often be 1000w your house kettle could be 2-3000w.

If you had a 10amp supply. Same maths. 230 X 10 = 2400 watts to play with.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We charge £2 for electric. But only supply 6amps. Caravanners moan, but no motorhome moaners yet. Many motorhome owners are used to 6 amps from their visits to France.
For me 6 amps is not good, in the summer I don't need electric as solar is fine in the winter or if it is cold I want to run my heating on electric to save the hassle of gas bottles etc so 10 amps is good and 16 amps better, I expect to pay extra for it. I have just had 7 nights on the CCC site at Charmouth I don't like the big sites much and normally stay on the CS ones, but I knew we would want heating and was willing to pay for it.

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
movan poki a rough explanation.
First it's easier to convert amps into watts, a figure that's quoted on the back on almost every electrical appliance. Go look 😁
Mains voltage is meant to be 230volts in Europe. To convert we multiply the mains 230 X the Amps 6.
230 X 6 = 1380 watts.

1000watts is also know as a KW kilowatt. 👍

So as long as you don't power anything up more than that it should not trip the breaker.
When you look at so called "camping appliances" in shops they are just low power units.
Example a travel / camping kettle will often be 1000w your house kettle could be 2-3000w.

If you had a 10amp supply. Same maths. 230 X 10 = 2400 watts to play with.
:rolleyes: you have confused me even more now, i dont understand any of it:giggler:

silvia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back