I love my bike but my bike does not love Me (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi playmates
As you can probably tell from my avatar I'm not a spring chicken. I have a bike rack on the rear of my MH which is up high.
Trying to get my electric bike up there leaves me nearly needing hospital attention lol, meaning I have a reluctance to take the bike with me.
I need to find a way of lifting the bike onto the rack with less effort.
Before I get the replies “use a towball bike rack”, that is not possible as I have a Hydratrail for when I take my motorbike.
I know there is bike racks which lower to very near the ground but these are very expensive, and as I already have fixings in the back of the van I'm not too keen on adding more holes etc. apart from the expense.
I was thinking of a bracket at roof height which could take a small winch of some description.
Any thoughts from you experienced MHers would be much appreciated.
Best Wishes Tony

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A winch isn't really practical.
If you could find a part of the rear wall strong enough to attach it to it would be too high to reach the crank handle.
You could of course use a 12v winch but that would need wiring, with quite heavy cables and the control handset would need to be permanently connected as it plugs into the winch motor body and again, out of reach.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you could find a suitable anchor point this could be used but would need to be left on the van when not in use as the top pulley block would be at roof height..
I have, in the dim and distant past, used one of these to lift out a small car engine....just.

Link Removed

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you could find a part of the rear wall strong enough to attach it to it would be too high to reach the crank handle.
You could of course use a 12v winch but that would need wiring, with quite heavy cables and the control handset would need to be permanently connected as it plugs into the winch motor body and again, out of reach.

Hi Pappajohn
yes you are right, this is why this forum is great people like you think of problems you have not.
Perhaps just a bracket I can attach a ratchet strap system which can get it up to the height wHere I could easily finish off the lift to the bike rack.
As the back wall takes the weight of the bike at the moment anyway I
cant see a problem with a bracket and some sort of manual winch or a ratchet strap
Many thanks Tony

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As you can probably tell from my avatar I'm not a spring chicken

You're an over cooked chicken right now.

Our Burstner came with a wind up rack ( so it clears the cassette door ) and I've seen Fiama ones using a belt lift, you might get lucky on ebay. Both are better than farting about with a block and tackle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Would something like this work?

IMG_6231.JPG

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
@mushy
Hi mushy yes that could work, just have the problem of securing the bracket where it can take the weight. Nice one Cyril as they say.
Many thanks Tony

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappajohn
yes you are right, this is why this forum is great people like you think of problems you have not.
Perhaps just a bracket I can attach a ratchet strap system which can get it up to the height wHere I could easily finish off the lift to the bike rack.
As the back wall takes the weight of the bike at the moment anyway I
cant see a problem with a bracket and some sort of manual winch or a ratchet strap
Many thanks Tony
The bike rack will be secured to either the rear walls wooden frame or specially fitted, during construction, wooden blocks.
Unless you can find the wooden frame in the rear wall the rear skin won't take the weight imposed on a bracket screwed to it.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you could find a suitable anchor point this could be used but would need to be left on the van when not in use as the top pulley block would be at roof height..
Yes once again you are correct, I myself have used a similar pulley system to remove an engine in the past , so yes that might be the answers if I can fin a secure place to put the bracket which can hold the weight.
Many thanks Tony

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That looks interesting what rack is it and another thought is what is the cost. I do like that idea.
Best Wishes Tony
Google is your friend

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I think you mean a broiler, that was the name given to chickens by my in law who had stopped laying and were too old and quite a bit tough to eat.
Not sure how to take that but thanks for the info anyway LOL.
Best Wishes Tony

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We have a Prorider folding electric cycle which we carry on a trailer but would fit in the van. They are heavy to lift up high.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That looks interesting what rack is it and another thought is what is the cost. I do like that idea.
Best Wishes Tony
Not 100% certain but I think anything attached to the FRONT is illegal in the UK.
even 4x4 nudge/bull bars are now chromed abs which breaks or crumples if you hit someone.
Pedestrian safety laws.

Reactions: f6c
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
winch controls are bluetooth or wifi nowdays john

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I think you mean a broiler, that was the name given to chickens by my in law who had stopped laying and were too old and quite a bit tough to eat.
Sorry duplicate post.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Put the bike inside the MH when travelling, and padlock and chain it to the rear rack when parked.
I think that might be the simplest answer but not too keen on having the bike inside the MH.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Well you could always join a Gym!:D2
Lol yes you are correct, but like most people I find mindless running on a traveling belt system is not what I call fun, although I do understand some people get a kick out of it. I'm past all of that the easy way is my world now not because I'm lazy it's because my body will not let me do what I want, even tho my brain tells a different story.
Thanks for your input.
Best Wishes Tony

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

I think Hilldweller is getting to the fact that you say look at my Avatar I'm no spring chicken.

Well your Avatar is an open fire so you're probably an overcooked chicken......

Brakers.JPG

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Can you not just put your bike on the rack you use for your motorbike.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Cant you use a set of small stepladders ? I used to carry mine on the car roof when tugging and using steps was the only way to reach,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Well your Avatar is an open fire so you're probably an overcooked chicken..
LOL yes you are right I should of put remember my last avatar which I changed just before Christmas which was a head pic.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Can you not just put your bike on the rack you use for your motorbike.
Hi Mikey The answr is yes I could but just to take a single electric bike would be a bit of an overkill and athe extrra length would have been a problem in this case, have you seen a hydratrail, also fitting it to the rear of the van is not too difficult when everything is out of the garage and by the MH but it would be better for me to find a way to easily get the electric bike on the rack I have already.
to be truthfull I want to try and get the best of both worlds.
Best Wishes Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back