I know this will elicit many different opinions, but..................Tyres!! (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi all

All being well, I will pick up our new MH this weekend! yay!!

There are a few things needing sorting but one of the more pressing issues are the tyres.

Currently she has continental CP tyres fitted all round 225/75/516 CP with a 118 load rating. The front are 2011 vintage and the rears are 2012 (I didn't check the inner tyre on each axle but am assuming that they are the same dates.) Tread is all good tbh as the van hasn't moved very far in 5 years and the sidewalls are all good.

Continental says that tyres can last 10 years but I'm going to change anyway when I get the van back.

I want all season tyres fitted as I intend going overseas in the winter as well but as far as I can see they don't do CP tyres in 4 season variants. Are the continental four season 2 worth putting on or can i reduce my cost and look at another brand?

I've had Nexxen on my cars for years and my last van with no issues and my transit van (Motability) is shod in Hankooks again no issues.

However this is a 6t van so looking for advice.

TLDR is will I die a horrible death if I fire cheaper all season or winter tyres on the Flair and use them all year?

Putting this out to all of you as I cannot (without sending bags of cash!) keep asking Funflair all my silly questions via PM (Thanks again Martin, you have been a star and I'm sure I owe you a bottle or two!)

Thanks in advance

Paul

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
No issue running winter tyres al year then?

Im looking at Maxxis Vansmart A/S AL2 at the minute..... cant seem to find Nexxen in an all season but if full winters are ok all year, i may just run with that option

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I have just replaced all my tyres, including the spare, with Continental Allseason which include the necessary snowflake symbol. I previously had Continental 4Season (I think that’s what they were) which had done 50k miles (and would have done more but for Covid restrictions) but at 10 years old needed to go. I figured they had done so well, why bother with anything else. I could maybe have spent a couple of hundred less, but what’s that over 10 years with a risk of them wearing out sooner and not performing as well?

Of course, a lot depends on your expected mileage and how long you expect to keep the moho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
I have just replaced all my tyres, including the spare, with Continental Allseason which include the necessary snowflake symbol. I previously had Continental 4Season (I think that’s what they were) which had done 50k miles (and would have done more but for Covid restrictions) but at 10 years old needed to go. I figured they had done so well, why bother with anything else. I could maybe have spent a couple of hundred less, but what’s that over 10 years with a risk of them wearing out sooner and not performing as well?

Of course, a lot depends on your expected mileage and how long you expect to keep the moho.
That's actually a very good point! also probably why i was asking about the nexxens as I had those on my hymer for 5 years with no issues.

I am however this time planning to spread my wings and explore Scandinavia hence the winter tyre question

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I would never keep tyres on a motorhome beyond 6 or 7 years they may have lots of tread but that reflects the low mileage of most motorhomes . The risk is deteriorating walls that could lead to a blowout costing much more than a set of new tyres.
The op mentioned 2011 / 2012 imo really need replacing.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
I would never keep tyres on a motorhome beyond 6 or 7 years they may have lots of tread but that reflects the low mileage of most motorhomes . The risk is deteriorating walls that could lead to a blowout costing much more than a set of new tyres.
The op mentioned 2011 / 2012 imo really need replacing.
Oh yeah, as soon as i get the van home, the tyres are getting sorted. I just don't want to blow a grand on camping tyres if a set of all seasons are just as good.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
As you are in Shropshire I suggest you get in touch with Brian and Jo, a member on here, who is a tyre dealer and knows everything about things round and black. His son Josh is often in the office and fitting can be arranged anywhere if you cannot get to their depot that also has EHU and water if you arrange to arrive the night before fitting. https://www.pandbtyres.co.uk

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As you are in Shropshire I suggest you get in touch with Brian and Jo, a member on here, who is a tyre dealer and knows everything about things round and black. His son Josh is often in the office and fitting can be arranged anywhere if you cannot get to their depot that also has EHU and water if you arrange to arrive the night before fitting. https://www.pandbtyres.co.uk

Yes , excellent service.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
That's awesome, I'm in Wem so only half an hour away.

I've used the little tyre shop in Shrewsbury for years but would certainly rather use someone who is in the club so to speak.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
We have Toyo H09 brilliant winter tyres BUT there is a new version of these just come out and the tread pattern doesn't look half as good.
just had a look and i cant get the h09 in a 225/75/16. I can get the toyo observe however. I take it they are the newer version?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
just had a look and i cant get the h09 in a 225/75/16. I can get the toyo observe however. I take it they are the newer version?
I think Lenny HB has just had these fitted to his Hymer B678 and his initial impressions are good👍

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I fitted Falken to a Flair (y) they are 3PMSF and I was impressed with them, 118 load rating I think, previous to that we had the Continentals fourseasons at 121 load rating, have them on the MORELO as well but need the 121 as it's pretty heavy on the front.

Martin

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Yes they are the newer version, Toto have stopped the H09. The newer one tread pattern doesn't look anywhere as grippy as the H09s.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think Lenny HB has just had these fitted to his Hymer B678 and his initial impressions are good👍
Yep, had them fitted on Tuesday, agree the tread pattern doesn't look that chunky but they have nice wide grooves that should clear mud & snow.
Only taken them for a test drive so far, really impressed at how quiet they were and the ride comfort is superb.
Off to Germany today for 4 weeks should give them a good test.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Yep, had them fitted on Tuesday, agree the tread pattern doesn't look that chunky but they have nice wide grooves that should clear mud & snow.
Only taken them for a test drive so far, really impressed at how quiet they were and the ride comfort is superb.
Off to Germany today for 4 weeks should give them a good test.
Hi Lenny HB are you doing a thread for your trip? If you have already started one I haven’t found it yet🤷‍♂️😁😁

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have General Eurovan AS 365 - all season with the 3PMSF (So OK for winter in Germany)
General tyres are a brand I like (always used General Grabbers on my four wheel drive vehicles)

I'm particularly impressed with the grip and lack of noise plus their wear rate doesn't sem any worse than 'normal' tyres

I checked a number of tyre makes & models using the EU Tyre ratings for Grip, Noise & Economy (mpg) - note different tyre sizes of the same make & model may have different ratings - well worth checking out

But reading through this thread, I've learnt that all the suggested tyres are black & round 🙂

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I am really struggling to get any technical information on tryes re: maximum pressure and recommended running pressure for a given axle loading, which I know as we weigh the van everytime before a long trip, apart from Mitchelin!

Nasher do you have any info on pressures/tyre load for your AS365?

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Im glad Taff015 has resolved his problem, but I hope I may continue this thread as I have a similar question? I live in Poland, where when it snows, it SNOWS...shovelling your car out is routine, rather than exceptional if we get a proper winter. I have a healthy mistrust of "all-season" tyres as the ones I have used (big brand names) on cars have been terrible in this kind of weather. As I plan to use my van year-round, should I use "normal" (non-CP rated" proper winter tyres? As far as I'm aware, there isn't a true "winter" CP tyre made, so is this the only option I have?

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Be good to get your reviews on these tyres
So far all is good. Steering was immediately better and ride quality much much better than the continentals they replaced.

They are all season tyres so should be OK for winter in Germany

I've only gone 30 miles or so but the difference was palpable.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I fitted Falken to a Flair (y) they are 3PMSF and I was impressed with them,
Funnily enough Martin, so have I, and so am I ;) though not had an opportunity to try them on ice or snow yet.......................and I'm in no real hurry to either. ;)

Unfortunately, they don't appear to do a 121 load rating. :(

Falken Euroall Season Van2

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I am really struggling to get any technical information on tryes re: maximum pressure and recommended running pressure for a given axle loading, which I know as we weigh the van everytime before a long trip, apart from Mitchelin!

Nasher do you have any info on pressures/tyre load for your AS365?

Hi, I have a PVC So just use the recommended tyre pressure (door pillar on offside) of 60 psi front & 65 read (when cold)

Hope this helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back