I hate garmin (1 Viewer)

Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
So I bought the £600 10 in camper sat nav. I should have known. It will not show poi along the route no matter what I do. The chat helpline is useless. Does anyone that has a 1090 or the smaller camper satnav known how to show any poi along a route. Thanks, this is going back if not

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
I think I will do the same but am in the middle of travelling so not sure how I can send bacl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So I bought the £600 10 in camper sat nav. I should have known. It will not show poi along the route no matter what I do. The chat helpline is useless. Does anyone that has a 1090 or the smaller camper satnav known how to show any poi along a route. Thanks, this is going back if not
Have you got Up Ahead Places enable on it? Page 11 in the User Manual.

The Up Ahead tool provides information about upcoming locations along your route or the road on which you are travelling. You can view upcoming points of interest by category, such as restaurants, fuel stations or roadside services.
You can customise the categories that show in the Up Ahead tool.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Garmin have a ‘POI loader’ program that allows you to load POIs (!) on your device……..but not much help if you’re already on the road…… :(

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
On my older Garmin 760 Camper you can change the map settings to show POI's.
Go to Settings - Map and Vehicle - Map layers, then tick Places along the Road.
POI's should then show as you drive.
I always have them turned off as they complicate the map but give it a try.

Richard.

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months

The Up Ahead tool provides information about upcoming locations along your route or the road on which you are travelling. You can view upcoming points of interest by category, such as restaurants, fuel stations or roadside services.
There are only 3 up ahead categories that show and apart from gas stations even they don't show up on the map. As for custom poi , no chance.

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months

You can only have a choice of a few poi like ATMs or shops. Campsites don't come up or any custom sites and I usually get , nothing found, anyway

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Any proximity settings to adjust?

And do POI appear if you zoom in?
If so, look for zoom settings.

The latter maybe only for hand held GPSr but otherwise I’m sure you’d be getting POI if there wasn’t a setting stopping them.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
My Garmin 770 and a previous model can display ASCI and other camps sites when set up as detailed above. The site details just need to be downloaded into the satnav before you set off as the download can take time from your mobile internet access allowance.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My Garmin 770 and a previous model can display ASCI and other camps sites when set up as detailed above. The site details just need to be downloaded into the satnav before you set off as the download can take time from your mobile internet access allowance.
I too have the 770 - LMT-D and find the less clutter I have on the map when driving the better. As an aside, I have just downloaded the Search for Sites codes which works well on my Garmin. Find the site on the App in my phone and then punch in the code on my Garmin and it brings up location and route. Downloading the codes and the POI loader all available from the app and its easy peasy. I also have GPL, ACSI & Motorhome Facts POI's downloaded onto my Garmin and can search through these when stationary.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
There are only 3 up ahead categories that show and apart from gas stations even they don't show up on the map. As for custom poi , no chance.

You can only have a choice of a few poi like ATMs or shops. Campsites don't come up or any custom sites and I usually get , nothing found, anyway

As EMS says you can create \ download your own POI's and place these in their own categories and get them to display on the sat nav.
I've got all C&MC UK \ Overseas sites and CL's and Archies Campsites (complete Europe) along with some others however I don't have these displayed by default as it clutters the screen however they can be turned off and on as and when required.
Rather than downloading through a mobile I use Garmin BaseCamp on a desktop \ laptop to achieve this and subsequently load them to the sat nav from there.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
and find the less clutter I have on the map when driving the better.
Agreed.
I also have GPL, ACSI & Motorhome Facts POI's downloaded onto my Garmin and can search through these when stationary.
Or, if you've got a "navigator" and the sat nav is located centrally he \ she can punch it in on the move rather than screaming "you've just passed the bl**dy turning"!:whistle2:

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
Any proximity settings to adjust?

And do POI appear if you zoom in?
If so, look for zoom settings.

The latter maybe only for hand held GPSr but otherwise I’m sure you’d be getting POI if there wasn’t a setting stopping them.
No, they don't appear. Even the ones that are supposedly pre installed. I put a search for pubs. And it came up with 0
. Even if it had come up.with lots they wouldn't have appeared on the map. So bad, and so frustrating. My wife said to me. Why can we use the one that came with the van. 4 year old Tom Tom. Yet that's what we've done.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't think I've downloaded POIs since this... 🤣

Screenshot_20210616-161240_Opera.jpg

Google maps for me 😎

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
No, they don't appear. Even the ones that are supposedly pre installed. I put a search for pubs. And it came up with 0
. Even if it had come up.with lots they wouldn't have appeared on the map. So bad, and so frustrating. My wife said to me. Why can we use the one that came with the van. 4 year old Tom Tom. Yet that's what we've done.
There's something odd going on but sorry, I don't have an equivalent SatNav to check.
Displaying POI is a required SatNav feature so the 1090 not doing that is a bit of a waste of time.

OP
OP
Warmleys
Jul 15, 2015
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Majestic 125 3
Exp
3 months
This is getting completely mad. Garmin dam garmin, long story short. Wanted to get the best say nav for our motorhome as we are away for 4 months. So, dam the expense we decided on a , and the word sticks in my throat , garmin camper 1090. For nearly £600.
When it arrived, it didn't seem to do anything right or show poi and many horrible failings. I tried to contact help page, no luck, tried many times. Then..
This afternoon I was on garmin help page and as often the case a chat help box came up asking if she could help. So I said please help.me with my garmin. Very helpful, took over my mac laptop as they do, things started to download , all.looking good then it stopped. The , Indian man on the phone , he phoned me, said something about a dodgy firewall and garmin has apple tech in house and they could help me, but.... I have to pay Over £200 to sort it out. No way, so this was a SCAM. Thankfully I didn't give my card details. So managed to actually speak to someone from garmin they sounded concerned and sent me an email so I could tell them all the scammers details. Then they put me through to someone that could help me with this wretched machine and after a while dropped the line and didn't ring back. So to recap....
Because I stupidly bought a garmin I had an inferior sat nav, spent hours finding camp sites that had wifi, and finally get scared for good measure. Well thank you garmin. Oh, and, your not going to believe this as it warns me of too narrow roads as it has moho dimensions it Sent us down a very narrow road and we had to back up and ripped the back off the motorhome in the process. Thank you garmin, the gift that keeps giving

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’ve got a free app, “Road Lords.” from google apps on my phone, Samsung Android.
It is aimed at truckers and works in a similar way to Waze.
It can be configured to your Motorhome dimensions easily.
Seems to work well. Don’t know if it is on the App Store (Apple)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Oh my goodness what did we all do before relying on Sat Nav? a mix of new technology and paper maps tend to help when planning a route..

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Agreed.

Or, if you've got a "navigator" and the sat nav is located centrally he \ she can punch it in on the move rather than screaming "you've just passed the bl**dy turning"!:whistle2:
Or, from the lh seat, 'You've just passed the bl**dy turning AGAIN' ... The retort 'But I expected the turning to be on the lh side...' cuts no ice, other than a withering reply 'ONLY when you don't miss the turn on the first pass ...' [sound of waspish buzzing] :unsure: :LOL:

Steve

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is getting completely mad. Garmin dam garmin, long story short. Wanted to get the best say nav for our motorhome as we are away for 4 months. So, dam the expense we decided on a , and the word sticks in my throat , garmin camper 1090. For nearly £600.
When it arrived, it didn't seem to do anything right or show poi and many horrible failings. I tried to contact help page, no luck, tried many times. Then..
This afternoon I was on garmin help page and as often the case a chat help box came up asking if she could help. So I said please help.me with my garmin. Very helpful, took over my mac laptop as they do, things started to download , all.looking good then it stopped. The , Indian man on the phone , he phoned me, said something about a dodgy firewall and garmin has apple tech in house and they could help me, but.... I have to pay Over £200 to sort it out. No way, so this was a SCAM. Thankfully I didn't give my card details. So managed to actually speak to someone from garmin they sounded concerned and sent me an email so I could tell them all the scammers details. Then they put me through to someone that could help me with this wretched machine and after a while dropped the line and didn't ring back. So to recap....
Because I stupidly bought a garmin I had an inferior sat nav, spent hours finding camp sites that had wifi, and finally get scared for good measure. Well thank you garmin. Oh, and, your not going to believe this as it warns me of too narrow roads as it has moho dimensions it Sent us down a very narrow road and we had to back up and ripped the back off the motorhome in the process. Thank you garmin, the gift that keeps giving
As a gamin user but not familiar with your model I would advise you to go and put the kettle on and have a cup of tea. Then, start from the beginning. Download garmine express and make sure its the latest version and that you have registered your device with Garmin. Next, do a complete reset then connect to gamin express and update your maps to the latest version. This will also download and update all the supported POI'S. After that I would start working my way through the U Tube tutorials on Garmin. This is a great sat nav and complicated as it has so many features and you need to give yourself time to get used to it.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Both the sat-nav in the new car and the one I use in the mo-ho use Garmin and still try to take me down the old A14 at Huntington despite the new southern bypass being open.
Also finding the one we use in the mo-hi is picking weird routes to places, it never used to. Built in obsolescence ???

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I fail to understand how these things don't work straight out of the box? Why do they need 'updating' straight away?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I fail to understand how these things don't work straight out of the box? Why do they need 'updating' straight away?
We bought 2 Garmins over the course of a fortnight [long story!]. Each Satnav is eligible for 4 map updates a year and both satnavs had been produced about 12 months earlier. So I had the pleasure of sitting through over 3 hours of staring at a 'Do not disconnect your device' between the 2 machines. And, just for fun, the 2nd satnav [Avtex CAMH rebadged] 'fell over' 3 times during the update ... 'Do you want to cancel the update?' YES. 'Warning! Files have been changed. If you cancel the update, your device may not function!'. 'OK, I'll give you another chance to complete the update, then. But why make me an offer I can resist?' [Me talking to the Garmin System via my laptop screen. 2 can play silly buggers when it comes to facile messages ....].

Steve

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It's the same with mobile phones, software improvements happening all the time.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Both the sat-nav in the new car and the one I use in the mo-ho use Garmin and still try to take me down the old A14 at Huntington despite the new southern bypass being open.
Also finding the one we use in the mo-hi is picking weird routes to places, it never used to. Built in obsolescence ???
I use the A14 frequently (last Saturday was the last time) and my Garmin has never failed to take me on the new road since it opened. In fact the new road was showing as under construction even before opening.
Map update required methinks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back