I hate garmin (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
You can only have a choice of a few poi like ATMs or shops. Campsites don't come up or any custom sites and I usually get , nothing found, anyway
If you press and hold one of the categories in the up ahead list you should then get the option to add a different set and rearrange them to your liking.I have removed restaurants and replaced them with campercontact.

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
I too have the 770 - LMT-D and find the less clutter I have on the map when driving the better. As an aside, I have just downloaded the Search for Sites codes which works well on my Garmin. Find the site on the App in my phone and then punch in the code on my Garmin and it brings up location and route. Downloading the codes and the POI loader all available from the app and its easy peasy. I also have GPL, ACSI & Motorhome Facts POI's downloaded onto my Garmin and can search through these when stationary.
I also have the 770 -LMT-D and downloaded the Search for sites download. However, when I load the unzipped folder with POILoader, I end up with 3 subfolders (Picture 1). I then open (for example) the Motorhome folder and get picture 2.

I was kind of hoping I would from the front screen - ”Where to“ >Custom POIS>and then just punch the SFS gps code in and it would find it - not loads of sub folders of many names.

Am I doing something wrong as it seems very long winded and complicated.

TIA

Attachments

• 7697F5CE-CEBA-47B7-8F59-7BF9492E77B0.jpeg
    7697F5CE-CEBA-47B7-8F59-7BF9492E77B0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 76AFF957-D3FB-4F7F-90D1-410B0C908D65.jpeg
    76AFF957-D3FB-4F7F-90D1-410B0C908D65.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I also have the 770 -LMT-D and downloaded the Search for sites download. However, when I load the unzipped folder with POILoader, I end up with 3 subfolders (Picture 1). I then open (for example) the Motorhome folder and get picture 2.

I was kind of hoping I would from the front screen - ”Where to“ >Custom POIS>and then just punch the SFS gps code in and it would find it - not loads of sub folders of many names.

Am I doing something wrong as it seems very long winded and complicated.

TIA
I downloaded and unzipped the POI'S into a single folder on my laptop then loaded the single folder onto my Sat Nav. I then went to Where to then Custom POI'S then Motorhome then APN and then entered the code in the Search box and it worked. There may be a better way to do this but my understanding is SFS users different folders for classifying it's stops. I.e. campsites, Aires, etc, etc, hence the APN plus others showing in my Sat Nav. I hope this makes sense, let me know how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
I downloaded and unzipped the POI'S into a single folder on my laptop then loaded the single folder onto my Sat Nav. I then went to Where to then Custom POI'S then Motorhome then APN and then entered the code in the Search box and it worked. There may be a better way to do this but my understanding is SFS users different folders for classifying it's stops. I.e. campsites, Aires, etc, etc, hence the APN plus others showing in my Sat Nav. I hope this makes sense, let me know how you get on.
Thanks.

I created a single folder as you described, but this also creates too many sub folders/menus within the three folders.

Unless you know which sub folder to go into (APN etc) to do the search, it is very long winded opening each sub folder/menu to search. I opened four folders before I found the site I was looking for.

Until all sub folders can be extracted into one single folder, the search facility is too long winded to be of any use, and I guess I will have to continue with the standard fare - postcodes, address, co-ordinates.

Thanks anyway.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks.

I created a single folder as you described, but this also creates too many sub folders/menus within the three folders.

Unless you know which sub folder to go into (APN etc) to do the search, it is very long winded opening each sub folder/menu to search. I opened four folders before I found the site I was looking for.

Until all sub folders can be extracted into one single folder, the search facility is too long winded to be of any use, and I guess I will have to continue with the standard fare - postcodes, address, co-ordinates.

Thanks anyway.
What's the file extension of the file you're downloading from SFS?

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
It’s the CSV version from SFS which creates a zipped file called searchforsites_csv_38769.zip

If you unzip this you get three folders called camping, Motorhome, other.

When loaded onto the garmin camper 770 it has many sub directories, each with a bmp file and a Microsoft Excel Comma Seperated Values File.

As far as I can see (if I’m doing it correctly), you then have to keep going into the sub directories until you find it can match with the SFS Satnav Quick Search ID code.

If all the sub directory entries were “unpacked” and all in just one folder, then I guess it would work by going “Where to>Custom POIs>S25139S

I hope this makes sense

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Problem solved. Uninstall the SFS POI's then put all your codes from 3 folders into one folder and re-install that one folder on to your Sat Nav. allow time for them to be downloaded. Restart your Sat Nav. Then its just Custom POI's then 'All Categories' then code inserted into the search box and that's it.

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Problem solved. Uninstall the SFS POI's then put all your codes from 3 folders into one folder and re-install that one folder on to your Sat Nav. allow time for them to be downloaded. Restart your Sat Nav. Then its just Custom POI's then 'All Categories' then code inserted into the search box and that's it.
Fab👍 I’ll have a go Wednesday when I have a bit more time. Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was with you up to "solved":(

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I was with you up to "solved":(
When you unpack the zip file on your computer Gus it extracts the files (Codes) into 3 separate folders and when you upload these onto the Sat Nav it creates a bit of a mess. If you take all the unpacked codes from the 3 folders and move them to one folder then upload that one folder onto the Sat Nav all the codes are in one place making it easier for the Sat Nav to locate them and cuts out 2 steps when entering the code into the search box.

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Well, I deleted SFS POIs then created a folder and put all codes into it and loaded it with POILoader. However, I still end up with sub directories (or whatever they are called). See pics.

Strangely, if I click on one of these it pulls up anywhere near where I am as it always says “searching near” and it has my town in it. I don’t know how to stop this from always showing where I am.

So, it’s back to the drawing board for me. I am unable to get the folder onto my unit as one folder, and/or search for just codes
0030E6FA-12B3-4D8F-B821-4D023C4F5B4B.jpeg
AD92C5B3-DF2E-4877-AD0B-0AEC88599AD7.jpeg
7E1B65D7-E5F6-41D5-8458-DAA7A7C5D9F7.jpeg

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes ! you will get these sub directories because that is where the codes for each group are held. But ignore all those sub directories and just select All Categories and put the SFS code in the search box.

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Yes ! you will get these sub directories because that is where the codes for each group are held. But ignore all those sub directories and just select All Categories and put the SFS code in the search box.
I think I have found how to do it, following your instructions, BUT, I’m not sure if my screen is behaving like yours?

Where to>custom POIs> Ok - fine. But at this point if I tap All Categories it just throws up another listing of All Categories BUT, if I tap All Categories again, (which in effect is a double tap of All Categories) it then offers me a search box, which then works if I put the code in. It was the double tap that was not evident.

Is yours the same - double tap of All Categories to get the search box?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I think I have found how to do it, following your instructions, BUT, I’m not sure if my screen is behaving like yours?

Where to>custom POIs> Ok - fine. But at this point if I tap All Categories it just throws up another listing of All Categories BUT, if I tap All Categories again, (which in effect is a double tap of All Categories) it then offers me a search box, which then works if I put the code in. It was the double tap that was not evident.

Is yours the same - double tap of All Categories to get the search box?
No! But the end result is the same so job done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back