I can't Find any LPG (3 Viewers)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Addlestone Shell garage have finally had new pumps fitted and are able to sell gas again, they broke down in December last year and it's taken this long for them to be fixed, very handy for the west side of the M25 or if staying at Chertsey or Walton CCC.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Jock, Martin tells me that “the fault” I describe ie the lever that has always released the sliding door when it is open so that we can close it from the inside is a figment of my imagination! Despite the fact that it has been working for 3 and a half years and worked the same on our previous van. At the moment we have to get out of the van to release it from the outside with the main door handle. He has said he’ll take it into the work shop to have a proper look. I told him I thought that might be a good idea as that was why I’d driven for 1 and three quarter hours to bring it in!

He didn’t quite use those words but that was the implication.
Different chap sorted it very quickly. Has also explained what to do if it happens again. I’d only taken it all the way back there as the problem occurred the first time we used van after they’d done the paintwork on the door so I assumed they’d taken the door off to do it and then not put it back on properly. Apparently they never took the door off at all. Oh well, Al sorted for our trip to Topsham and then Bridlington.

Thanks again JockandRita for the other app.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Is it possible for you to please forward a copy of the pdf list? PM if you prefer.
Thanks
Or better still GirlyVanGirly, posting it on here for others to print off if possible please. (y)
Dont rely on any LPG App, even with recent reviews as they are not all up to date with the state of play. Call the garage before you make a de-tour just to check they have stock and the pump is in action.
Agreed re phoning ahead to make sure Autogas is available. (y)

I have found the https://www.autogas.app/ to be more accurate for the UK locations, than https://www.mylpg.eu/

carolyn. Glad to see that the MH door has been sorted for you and Nick. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
For those going to the Tunnel, a mile off the M25 at junction 3, there is one that is nearly always working and stocked. BP Garage at Ruxley. Then straight onto the M20 for the tunnel.

On the M20 itself, just off Junct 4 and back onto the A20, there is another BP garage (West Malling) that I have never known to be out of stock. You might be in a queue behind other motorhomes, because it is very well known in that neck of the woods.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Thank for all your responses; it's very helpful. We are new to motorhomes and our first one has the refill system. I have about quarter of one tank left and plans for trips coming up, so just preparing but it's disconcerting that the number of LPG pumps is so low. We found one at Asda, Spondon in Derby (don't tell anyone 😎) but they've been sold out for weeks. Another contribution to the issue is that because overseas travel has been so risky, we're all staycationing and LPG has been in high demand. Nevertheless, the filling stations are few and getting fewer from what I've read. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Asda gets topped up soon or I'm going to have to drive some big miles to get some. Many, if not all of the Exxon Mobile stations have been taken over by Esso but the ones I've phoned has dropped LPG. I just wasn't prepared for that but I'm hopeful things will work out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Kev
Google local suppliers not just petrol stations.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Addlestone Shell garage have finally had new pumps fitted and are able to sell gas again, they broke down in December last year and it's taken this long for them to be fixed, very handy for the west side of the M25 or if staying at Chertsey or Walton CCC.
Shame the Shell Garage in Ottershaw removed its LPG pump in recent times, that was always handy as it was en-route from Chobham towards the M25 for us.:(
LES

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We always try to plan in a route to pick up lpg on our travels, even if its a small detour.There are plenty available in the Birmingham area so if travelling through on the M6 it's cost effective to check what's available within a few miles of that corridor..
We have seen calor bottle refills at
£38 for the 6kg ,so even lpg at £1 litre is still relatively good value.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have gaslow. Two cylinders. Tried to fill up at local garage, but it wouldn’t put enough in. Us I think not the pump. Anyway now in SW Scotland. Still have half a cylinder but wanted to fill up. My lpg app identified a place in Newton Stewart. Nothing on the price board, but it was there. £14 worth went in. Great. Filled up with cheap(ish) diesel at same time. £1.42. Cheaper than petrol. Oh, lpg cheaper than at home by 10p a litre. There was a Motorhome garage of some sort on the edge of the town, and I wonder if this helped provide more custom. I do wonder if people can’t find supply near home, it is worth asking local AS dealer, for example, where they fill up their vans, most have underslung tanks, I believe.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Certainly going to be an interesting year again ⚠️
There isn’t actually a shortage of LPG, but for some reason the cylinder suppliers have definitely not kept their customers supplied , now we are seeing more LPG pumps without any stock !
I don’t think the average consumer has realised yet how the supply chain has changed over the last couple of years, we are now ordering stock 6 -12 months in advance to keep products on the shelf ⚠️
Do you think it is a deliberate ploy to starve outlets of LPG and force everybody on to bottled gas at vastly inflated prices. Calor bottles work out at roughly three times the price of LPG at garages

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Do you think it is a deliberate ploy to starve outlets of LPG and force everybody on to bottled gas at vastly inflated prices. Calor bottles work out at roughly three times the price of LPG at garages
I think it’s very regional.

Living in Walsall, I have probably 7 places within 30 mins. Birmingham is full of them as all the taxi drivers use it. It’s quite cheap too at under 80p a litre.

I am not worried yet, it is getting harder, but Calor can jog on!

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
That's great news Chris, thanks for sharing - always used Sainsbury's at Cobham, but believe that they have removed theirs, so it was either services on M3, Shell near Fleet, or Esso near Leatherhead - Addlestone much nearer for us.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Why worry about finding lpg near you, just fill up on route to somewhere
We are full-timing and come back to the UK for a couple of months each year to see family / friends. We often park in one place, so not always using van to travel, however, still need LPG to cook / heat, so need somewhere local to refill

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
That's great news Chris, thanks for sharing - always used Sainsbury's at Cobham, but believe that they have removed theirs, so it was either services on M3, Shell near Fleet, or Esso near Leatherhead - Addlestone much nearer for us.
It is good news however they appear to be waiting for a delivery when I checked the app just now.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We are full-timing and come back to the UK for a couple of months each year to see family / friends. We often park in one place, so not always using van to travel, however, still need LPG to cook / heat, so need somewhere local to refill
Where's local to the family you are visiting Dave? Fulham?

1684178689668.png

HTH,

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I think it’s very regional.

Living in Walsall, I have probably 7 places within 30 mins. Birmingham is full of them as all the taxi drivers use it. It’s quite cheap too at under 80p a litre.

I am not worried yet, it is getting harder, but Calor can jog on!
We filled upnat an lpg site in Walsall, mainly for taxi driver use but the operator said that the this were being coerced into removing thier lpg tanks foe more conventional fuels but more probably electric.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We filled upnat an lpg site in Walsall, mainly for taxi driver use but the operator said that the this were being coerced into removing thier lpg tanks foe more conventional fuels but more probably electric.
Lots of them popped up recently the electric ones. Always empty, given the price per kWh they charge I am not surprised.

My view is Calor have a stranglehold on the bottled gas market and use the monopoly to fleece us. I hope the refillable ones continue.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The local heating oil supplier here has an LPG pump in their yard (Johnston Oils in Newtown St Boswell's Scottish Borders, just off the A68 Mon - Fri might be cash only).

If they do it other oil / tank gas suppliers may also have similar facilities.

Penny Petroleum on the A697 at Powburn also have autogas for anyone coming that way.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I think that like it or not, if you tour mainly in The UK, then the future vans being supplied will need to be heated by Electric or Diesel, with Lithium Batteries to supply Inverters that can supply 240V to electric F/F's and Induction Hobs.
Hard to believe that so many new 2023/24 vans are still being offered at The NEC with LPG appliances needing of course expensive Calor Gas exchange bottles, or even re-fillable bottles, or underslung LPG tanks.
Van Manufacturers and Dealers must be aware of this, so more of them should be installing LPG pumps and keeping us informed of their intentions of doing so in the near future, Brownhills have done so, but maybe its only available for their customers.:unsure:
The sensible thing to do is not order a new van that is reliant on LPG for heating, if you intend to use it in winter especially here in The UK, diesel options for Truma are now readily available, I guess the same for Alde, hopefully.
LES

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
My view is Calor have a stranglehold on the bottled gas market and use the monopoly to fleece us. I hope the refillable ones continue.
Yep, and they've been at it for decades. :mad:

As a comparison, a Spanish 12Kg Propane refill only costs 15 - 20 x Euros, depending on where you buy them from. That's less than half of what folks pay here in the UK for a 13Kg refill. :(

Brownhills have done so, but maybe its only available for their customers.:unsure:
Available to any MH'er that calls in.

Cheers,

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

As a comparison, a Spanish 12Kg Propane refill only costs 15 - 20 x Euros, depending on where you buy them from. That's less than half of what folks pay here in the UK for a 13Kg refill. :(

Cheers,

A 6kg calor refill at Norden farm is £38 ,I was just curious and checked the prices. :eek:
I filled up on the way down,11 litres ,£7.50 ish(y)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years

Cheers,

I was talking to a caravan repair and accessory place years ago. He wanted to sell the BP bottles and had a few in, the Calor rep turned up and told him unless he got rid of the BP bottles they wouldn’t supply him with Calor at all.

That on top of the Calor lite debacle where they kept changing the goals and wanted to charge me to replace what they said would be free to swap, means I won’t touch them ever!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock

We use mylpg.eu to find some, but often stay around Godalming, Farnham, Fleet areas owing to train connections etc.
Eastbound at Fleet services on the M3 is looking good for Autogas, with westbound temporarily of stock at the moment, as is Shell at Waitrose Fleet.

Cheers,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thank you for your tips. We often head up toward the Lakes, so these would be on the way. I really appreciate your help; my confidence is growing by the minute. 🙏
Just off J36 head for Crooklands. Large garage 1/4 miles on the right has LPG. You can continue along the same road to Kendal.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
The trick is to remember that they are refillable and you do not have to wait until you are almost empty ( like you did with calor) before you start thinking about getting more gas. Top up when you are passing a site that does have LPG available, even if it is just a few litres....

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The trick is to remember that they are refillable and you do not have to wait until you are almost empty ( like you did with calor) before you start thinking about getting more gas. Top up when you are passing a site that does have LPG available, even if it is just a few litres....
It can be a tadch embarrassing when you pull up on a busy forecourt full of cars paying over a hundred pounds to top up for just 10 or 15!; I try not to show it!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I remember popping into The Texaco Garage on The A303 at Sparkford to top up The LPG tanks,en-route to The West country, it had been a while since the van had been used on a fun meet for 4 days. I had the hot water on for showers & washing up, used the hob and the outside BBQ point so I guessed it needed topping up a bit.
Well the LPG pump sprang into action, then almost immediately slowed down and stopped, it had cost me a painful £3.75 to fill up. the guy in the checkout laughed, I was too embarrassed at the time, but I did buy some diesel so could have been worse.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back