Hymer T674CL Suspension (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
I’m looking at buying this Hymer but I’m concerned about the suspension, any help would be appreciated.
My current van was close to its bump stops on the rear axle so I added Dunlop Air Assistors, very impressed with the improvement in ride quality. This potentially new van (2011 model) has the same standard chassis but is riding on both sides on the bump stops. Worryingly it’s been downplated from 4250kg to 3500kg and is practically empty. Is this normal? Everything is standard and the current owner bought it new and has never replaced or modified anything. These are bump stops, not spring assistors.
I suppose I’m asking, should I be worried about this?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I can't help regarding a Hymer but our new Autotrail suspension was pretty near the stops from new.

By the time we added a bit of gear I think we were probably on them.

Not sure if they were Spring assisters or bump stops though.

OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks, these look a bit like my dogs Kong toy, like 3 layers of decreasingly smaller doughnuts. The smallest being closest to the leaf springs.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it has been downplated have you weighed it to see what the weight actually is? Would it be a problem for you to up plate it again or do you not have a C1?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Would it be a problem for you to up plate it again or do you not have a C1?

I do have C1 and I would reinstate the max weight straight away. He had it reduced due to his age and medical conditions.

The pictures below show the articles in question!

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
E5AA803E-C07A-4360-BFD4-C9B6F337A27F.jpeg
11291073-5170-4E6E-A4F1-038C0EB19DFA.jpeg

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yep, not bump stops but spring assistors, same set up as my 2001 Fiat Hymer was, now fitted ‘easitop air assistors’

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I wouldn’t let it stop you buying the van if it’s got everything else you require, but I would budget for £500 to £1000 to air assist fitted to make it a better ride, and also please you MOT man.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
They are the standard factory spring assisters. They are designed to be in contact with the spring at even moderate loads. Those in your photo don't even look compressed. There is a Fiat technical document confirming the above. Do a Google search for Matters of Testing and Suspension Assisters/Bump Stops and you will find a DVSA document also confirming the same, and what should be the MOT testers stance. I don't believe even proper bump stops are a reason for failure by themselves in the new MOT test though

OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Yep, not bump stops but spring assistors, same set up as my 2001 Fiat Hymer was, now fitted ‘easitop air assistors’

Ah, good call. Do your Air Assistors give you a high rear end. I ask because that’s what has happened with my Boxer based MoHo meaning I nearly always need to chock the front wheels.

OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Do a Google search for Matters of Testing and Suspension Assisters/Bump Stops and you will find a DVSA document also confirming the same, and what should be the MOT testers stance. I don't believe even proper bump stops are a reason for failure by themselves in the new MOT test though

I read up on this when I was considering fitting the Air Assistors to my Boxer, they made a fantastic difference to the ride quality and I’ll most likely do the same again, just wondering if they’re compatible as the van chassis are the same age.....

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I read up on this when I was considering fitting the Air Assistors to my Boxer, they made a fantastic difference to the ride quality and I’ll most likely do the same again, just wondering if they’re compatible as the van chassis are the same age.....

I meant that the relevant copy of "Matters of Testing" confirms that the original suspension cones depicted in your photo are suspension assisters rather than bump stops, therefore designed to be in contact with the springs in normal use and not to be considered a defect.

I think most air assist kits for X250 van chassis are also compatible with X290 chassis though, but you'd be best to ask the individual suppliers. Some need slight modification to brackets carrying brake sensor cables on the X290, to provide clearance for the airbags.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back