Hymer sink trap (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Setting off tomorrow for our first outing in the Hymer 544, heading for Porthmadoc for a couple of nights.
Got things ready today and found a leak of water into the cutlery tray beneath the sink. It seems to be coming from the waste trap which has a twist off bottom. There seems to be a rubber gasket that looks sound so cleaned and put back - still leaks. then I put some plumbers mate on the seal - still leaks. So I cleaned it all off and tried silicone bathroom sealant - guess what - still leaks. Grrrrrrr
Anyone had a similar problem and how did you resolve it please.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Funnily enough, saw what might be exactly your problem at Chester this weekend

Mr and Mrs Mousy had a similar leak, turned out they had a hairline crack across the bit you can remove

Terry fixed it with sika seal, smeared some on both sides and left to go off

Hopefully yours is that simple (y)

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks. I`ll try that when we return, until then we`ll be mopping out the tray every day !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Not sure if Terry has been carrying out secret repairs as I am pleased to say we have not had this problem (yet). @Terry

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
When mine was leaking into the drawer, I did exactly as you did, even bought the replacement trap.

Didn't solve the problem, turned out mine was leaking at the plughole.

Thin bead of sealant before resitting the plug worked for me.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks. I`ll try that when we return, until then we`ll be mopping out the tray every day !
Hi Just as a temp measure try removing trap base and putting some cling film over hole then screwing trap onto it ;) don't pull CF too tight
terry

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure if Terry has been carrying out secret repairs as I am pleased to say we have not had this problem (yet). @Terry

Don't worry, it was our waste cap that split and leaked, @DavidG58 had everything right just the wrong van.

Still no leak, thanks again @Terry

well spotted all, not even a Hymer, I blame the excitement of Chester, I was still infused with it last night

hope you get sorted Figaro

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I cured the exact same problem by smearing the rubber gasket with vaseline, still sound a year later.
Same problem in the washroom I thought until retightened the trap and the whole of the basin turned with it!!!
Learnt alot fitting a new one!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It might not be the cap. We had a similar problem with ours - Smev sink in a Burstner and (after trying all sorts like you with the cap) it turned out to be the seal to the sink itself.
If yours is the same, unscrew the bolt which holds the plughole and the underneath together, pull apart just sufficiently to be able to clean the mating surfaces up. Put a new bead of sealant on top of the trap then reassemble everything.
Worked for me (y)

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the useful replies.
We had a great few days for our first trip in the MH to Porthmadoc, helped by the brilliant weather !
I`ll have a go at the trap repair over the weekend

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back