Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi, we have been without a motorhome for a few years, moving, job, etc, but know looking to re kindle our love for adventure. We have a budget of about £20,000 and would really love a Hymer, having owned several previously. But we don’t need anything very large. Just want it for a few days away and days out. We were looking at a b544, but a c class might also be great for our needs, but we are confused over the C Class vans, but so many different models. Please help. Camp, classic , swing. What are the differences please, thanks in advance.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I thought the Hymer Camp was an old model based on the Talbot, but looking you can newer versions too.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Lots for sale on ebay. You can check out the photos.
There is also a hymer owners group on fb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Yes I have looked at pictures but nothing explains the difference. Between camp classic or swing, somebody must know please.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't think there is much difference, they just changed the names over the years.
Have a look on Broken Link Removedplenty for sale on there.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The reason we prefer A Class is there’s no draughty cab area and more useable space, especially if you get one with a nice garage also we have found Hymers to be more honest with their excellent payloads ( on the ones we have had) both over 4000 kg GVW though.
Good luck with whatever you choose and @Lenny HB s advice about mobile.de is sound if you want an import you get more for your money.(y)(y)(y)(y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
IMG_20190117_224340_129.jpg

C class Hymer Tramp festival 3.0 Renault. (@Leftlegger ) rear fixed bed 6.5mt 2005
A class B574 (mine) 2.5tdi. rear fixed bed and drop down front double 6mt .1998
Both comfy reliable and get most places.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I cannot cover all models in this post, but if you want a garage with a fixed bed over then the main day living space is the front lounge and there I think the 'A' Class wins hands down as it has a panoramic view and feels roomier.

I also prefer driving an 'A' Class as the 'C' Class cab feels more like the vans I used to drive for a living- but that is just me.

This is all based on my MH experience of our N&B Arto.

Geoff

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Hi, we have been without a motorhome for a few years, moving, job, etc, but know looking to re kindle our love for adventure. We have a budget of about £20,000 and would really love a Hymer, having owned several previously. But we don’t need anything very large. Just want it for a few days away and days out. We were looking at a b544, but a c class might also be great for our needs, but we are confused over the C Class vans, but so many different models. Please help. Camp, classic , swing. What are the differences please, thanks in advance.
Most of it is an age thing - similar products renamed over the years.
They're all 'lower' down the hierarchy - so lighter cabinets, sometimes cheaper upholstery, cost savings in the bathroom, no double floor, other bits and pieces downgraded/done differently compared to B Klasse.
Used models can be far cheaper and can represent excellent vfm compared to B Klasse. (some sellers will offer at B Klasse prices hoping that an unsuspecting buyer will be unaware)
You also have 'GT' coachbuilt models that have double floor and are far closer spec'd to B Klasse.
Best bet is download some old brochures (via Google) to compare the various models and trim levels.
2005 brochure for example
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...390&dl=start&usg=AOvVaw3xGTK4A3YAFeCA4Cc1I4SJ

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Probably stating the obvious here , but there's much more usable space in an A class than C class for the same length of van.
Drop down bed at night , then pushed up and out of the way and huge lounge for the day.The driver and passenger seats revolve giving loads of space in the cab area.
I'm biased as only ever owned older A class Hymers ( 5 in all ) but viewed inside many other types and noted how small they feel.
584 is a very roomy van under 6 meters and £20k

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Most of it is an age thing - similar products renamed over the years.
They're all 'lower' down the hierarchy - so lighter cabinets, sometimes cheaper upholstery, cost savings in the bathroom, no double floor, other bits and pieces downgraded/done differently compared to B Klasse.
Used models can be far cheaper and can represent excellent vfm compared to B Klasse. (some sellers will offer at B Klasse prices hoping that an unsuspecting buyer will be unaware)
You also have 'GT' coachbuilt models that have double floor and are far closer spec'd to B Klasse.
Best bet is download some old brochures (via Google) to compare the various models and trim levels.
2005 brochure for example
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwj9lvf2ifffAhUmRBUIHdVMBgcQFjAAegQIBxAC&url=https://www.hymer.com/de/service-und-zubehoer/kataloge/archiv/download.html?file=390&dl=start&usg=AOvVaw3xGTK4A3YAFeCA4Cc1I4SJ

Where he is using 'B Klasse' he is using Hymer's term for what everybody else calls an 'A' Class.

I do not know why they do it, especially as they are in a large group - and now American owned.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Where he is using 'B Klasse' he is using Hymer's term for what everybody else calls an 'A' Class.

I do not know why they do it, especially as they are in a large group - and now American owned.
Hymer invented the A Class style which they call the B Class so it's everyone else who has got it wrong :rofl:

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Our first (and previous van) was 2009 Ford based T552 CL. It was very good, plenty of carrying capacity and in our view, well built. We did 18000 miles in about 20 months all over Europe and North England . Also plenty free camping. Fixed bed with lots of storage fortwo of us with our Pointer.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

Not quite what I’m saying, B Klasse is what I would describe as typical ‘standard’ A Class Hymer, as you also have ‘classic’ (budget) and ‘S class’ (premium) along with the recent variations, all of which are A Class vehicles....
Hymer B544 ‘B Klasse’ is a very different vehicle to Hymer B544 ‘Classic’ for example...

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Thank you, so classic is budget , s is premium, a class is same size as the same model in c class, I never knew that thought they looked a lot smaller. We have had both but never really understood the differences. We will keep looking.thanks again.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Not sure still , judging from the brochure star line is the top of the range, but so people say that certain year models build quality is better, maybe before 2001? Any body know please, thanks in advance

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Not sure still , judging from the brochure star line is the top of the range, but so people say that certain year models build quality is better, maybe before 2001? Any body know please, thanks in advance

I may be a bit late with any input @bubble, but it may help if your still looking.

We had a 2002 B544 Classic for over 5 years and we absolutely loved the van. True, the Classic is one of the 'budget' model Hymers. The habitation is built entirely on the Fiat Chassis so they have a single floor throughout. Many Hymers are built on the Alko chassis so are double floored. Classics are still 'Winterised', except the waste tank is below the floor. Some are insulated though so still pretty good and never caused us any issue during Winter use. We sold ours just 18 months ago at @ £17500. There are still lots about to be had at a bargain, but have a good crawl about underneath to be happy that the chassis is sound.

We only parted with ours due to needing a garage for Ginny's trike. Although I had a rack on the back, it was hard going loading and unloading.

We were lucky second time around to pick up a lovely Starline 680 that we are very much enjoying. It's a 2004 and I have no issues with the quality of workmanship on the habitation side. Solid as a rock! Built on the same Mercedes chassis that many older Hymers were, 1994 to 2006 I seem to recall.

Good luck with your search if still looking.

Attachments

• P1160652.jpg
    P1160652.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 29
  • P1160713.jpg
    P1160713.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P1180209.jpg
    P1180209.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 23
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Beware of eBay Hymer scams, lots around at the moment but easy to spot.
All give brief info and urge contact through email.
I started reporting them but they get taken down and reappear a few days later.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Don't know about the new vans but the with the older models 'S' class was the premium model and built on a Merc chassis .
Most of the other models were normally built on the FIAT chassis.
The 584 was a good layout for 2 people built on the FIAT, a very similar model was put on the Merc but I can't remember the model number.
I've had a number now of different models and layouts , all were good and none leaked or had damp issues even though 20 years old.
My current van was available with 5 different internal layouts but all identical outside , it's 18 years old and I love it.
I was informed by a dealer of quality issues from about 2006 onwards but this may just be a myth. The teardrop headlights were prone to break and very expensive to replace. Don't know as all mine were much older.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't know about the new vans but the with the older models 'S' class was the premium model and built on a Merc chassis .
Most of the other models were normally built on the FIAT chassis.
All change for this year with the B class on a front wheel drive Merc chassis and the more expensive B class SL on a Fiat, but it has the Super Lightweight Chassis that Hymer developed with Merc and now manufactured by Al-KO.
All rather confusing really. :)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
My B544 is on Fiat Maxi chassis rated at 4250kg, also has double floor with water tanks in between. Also if deep step inside door, that can be a give away to double floor.
Best way to check for double floor I'd to look inside for floor lockers/cavities and look underneath to see if water tanks show.
Good luck if you need help just ask.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I always thought that Hymer's prefix of 'S' to the number designated that the chassis is Mercedes. I do not know if that makes it 'Premium'
You get hymer b models on Mercedes too
But tend to lose some underfloor storage die to rear wheel drive.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We also get on great with our B544, lots of lounging space in a small mhome.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
It may be worth noting that the Fiat 2.8 JTD had a fairly significant upgrade in 2002. Recognised by an oval speedo binacle.

We bought a 2002 Hymer B544 Classic with latest Fiat upgrade. Brilliant vehicle, kept it for 10 years.

In retrospect, wish I'd bought the more upmarket B544 with maxi chassis 3900kg based on 16" wheels. This model had double floor and full length GRP roof.

The Classic chassis was 3400kg, 15" wheels, single floor and more basic roof construction which sloped at the front over the sleeping area.

Only sold it because we needed more payload to carry a scooter.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hubbys stuck in ours been there for days, see the leisure battery and spare wheel chat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back