Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
A bit of help required from you switched on MIFI guys please.

I have a Poynting A-XPOL-0001 antenna.
I tend to be in marginal locations and find the antenna to be 'VERY' directional.
When I want to align my TV aerial or sat dish, I use devices that enable me to move them around, and can see at a glance the signal strength.
I cannot find a similar tool or app that gives me that accuracy with the MIFI antenna.
There are apps that show the mast positions, which result in moderate reception, but a few degrees either way gives vastly better or worse reception. The only way I know to check the reception is to carry out a speed test, which is very time consuming and very hit and miss.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Geoff

OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Bit of a mine field mixed with dark art..............

Please don't talk about 107mb. The best BT can supply at my home is 1.2mb and that is on a good day, it is often .9mb. More often than not I cannot run a speed test as the signal is so poor.
At least with mobile sim routers I can better that, just want it to be easier to set up.
As I said at the start, I tend to be in very marginal locations.

But all good feedback from you guys.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi Geoff one thing you can do if you are getting a poor 4G signal go onto the router and change to 3G, I have to do this when I take my Daughter to Tennis best that I can get is one bar on 4G but with 3G full service, I do on my Huawei 5577 in the network settings

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Bit of a mine field mixed with dark art..............

Please don't talk about 107mb. The best BT can supply at my home is 1.2mb and that is on a good day, it is often .9mb. More often than not I cannot run a speed test as the signal is so poor.
At least with mobile sim routers I can better that, just want it to be easier to set up.
As I said at the start, I tend to be in very marginal locations.

But all good feedback from you guys.

Geoff
So this is NOT about MH wifi then?

This is about home internet access in a bad broadband area, is that correct?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
So this is NOT about MH wifi then?

This is about home internet access in a bad broadband area, is that correct?
No

This about motorhome wifi. I only quoted the home reference as I would lick your boots clean for 107mb.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
think id be talking to MS distribution were I you

here

Speak to Mike (may be Mick)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
They suggest sighting the antenna in free space, but supply four suction cups to stick it on a window???
Non-conductive materials like glass and fibreglass are transparent to radio waves. It's metals that block/reflect them. Even thin sheets like tinfoil. And concrete has steel bars inside, that disrupt the radio signal.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You say you got a good omni, so what was it? According to the advertising blurb, they are all better than anyone elses.
There's a link in post#8 of this recent thread, might be worth a read. Other sites sell them too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
There's a link in post#8 of this recent thread, might be worth a read. Other sites sell them too.
Hi Autorouter

I see there are various versions of this antenna, some with GPS. So what exactly does one do with the GPS signal? What and how do you connect it to?

Also, is it really as big as it looks? It looks massive in some of the photos.

Geoff

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Autorouter

I see there are various versions of this antenna, some with GPS. So what exactly does one do with the GPS signal? What and how do you connect it to?

Also, is it really as big as it looks? It looks massive in some of the photos.

Geoff
The GPS connections are for connecting to a GPS with external antenna connections. Not needed by most folk but for a cab which can't see much of the sky it might be the answer. They are are also useful if you want a more accurate GPS fix. Again, not needed by most folk but these antenna are not specifically made for MHs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thank you.
I could not think of a device I have or have seen with a GPS port.

Geoff

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes, to many it's not a great addition, most routers don't have a GPS input. However the Teltonika routers are getting more popular, and have a GPS input. They are used on buses, coaches and trucks to track position. For a motorhome it can be used as a geofence system. You can for example set it up to respond to a text or email with its location.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back