Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi
A bit of help required from you switched on MIFI guys please.

I have a Poynting A-XPOL-0001 antenna.
I tend to be in marginal locations and find the antenna to be 'VERY' directional.
When I want to align my TV aerial or sat dish, I use devices that enable me to move them around, and can see at a glance the signal strength.
I cannot find a similar tool or app that gives me that accuracy with the MIFI antenna.
There are apps that show the mast positions, which result in moderate reception, but a few degrees either way gives vastly better or worse reception. The only way I know to check the reception is to carry out a speed test, which is very time consuming and very hit and miss.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All you can really do is look at the signal strength on your Mifi. Those type of aerials are really intended for mounting in a fixed position. You would be better off with a roof mounted MIMO aerial.
Mastdata is quite a good app for mast location.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I use a puck type aerial stuck to the van roof and have never found getting a signal a problem but the SIM card is an EE one and they have good coverage. The type that you have is the same one that I had fixed to the bungalow wall when I used the mifi instead of broadband, I had it pointed directly at the mast about a mile away. I don’t believe that a directional one is suitable for a van especially if you use it while travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have a Poynting A-XPOL-0001 antenna.
I tend to be in marginal locations and find the antenna to be 'VERY' directional.
Hi Geoff. :)

Although not the same antenna, I too have used directional antennas, and yes, compared to omnidirectional, they are definitely very much directional, however, they have tended to provide a better performance, albeit requiring a degree of alignment .................................. and patience. ;)

We are now on the Poynting MIMO V2-3-12, (omnidirectional), which so far in a known weak signal area, (North Norfolk Coast), has proved to work a treat. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I use WiFi Analyzer by Farproc for the WiFi end. It is good for 2.4 & 5 ghz bands and shows signal strength for all the channels etc. I'd have have thought there must be something similar to analyse the actual cell signals but can't nt help there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks guys, all good feedback.
I realise the antenna I have is not ideal, but will have to do for the time being.
I will research all of your points.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What mifi is it? Huawei have an app that lets you look at the mifi settings, and there's a signal strength bar indicator. Not brilliant, but maybe good enough.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Autorouter, it is TP Link. I do have a Huawei 5577 which I can use to tune antenna, up to a point, as the signal strength changes quite well, showing E, 3G, H, H+ & 4G with strength bars. This it will do live and reasonably quickly and to date is my preferred method.
It would be so much easier if i could see a signal strength gauge as I can for aerial & satellite.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Strange that Poynting describe my antenna as being Omni-directional, I would describe mine as Very-directional!!!

Geoff

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Radio is a dark art. Reflections and interference can mean even small movements can have a large effect. It's not intuitive as to why changes you make affect the signal.

Also, signal strength isn't the best indicator. It doesn't tell you how much interference there is, or how busy that tower is. You can have lots of bars, but still have a poor connection.

I had a Poynting Omni antenna on the last van. It nearly always gave excellent reception.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Strange that Poynting describe my antenna as being Omni-directional, I would describe mine as Very-directional!!!

Geoff
You're right, it is described as omni-directional and some polar plots I found support this. But there is a 0002 version which looks identical but is directional. Perhaps they sent you one of these instead?

It is mounted clear of obstructions and you are using both cables from it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
You're right, it is described as omni-directional and some polar plots I found support this. But there is a 0002 version which looks identical but is directional. Perhaps they sent you one of these instead?

It is mounted clear of obstructions and you are using both cables from it?
Hi
Yes I am using both cables, I have tried it in various locations, some places good some not so good. It is very hit and miss and having to do a speed check every time, is so time consuming.

Geoff

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi i use an app to find the best mobile signal, if you look in google play store "Network Cell Lite" it will show what cell and what Wifi is available and signal strengths, I have dual sim phone this taken from my office at home

Attachments

• Mobile.jpg
    Mobile.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
We also have a Huawei 5577, which at some locations the three 4G signal is poor, so go to the network settings and scan for networks and can normally find a stronger 4G or select a 3G signal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi i use an app to find the best mobile signal, if you look in google play store "Network Cell Lite" it will show what cell and what Wifi is available and signal strengths, I have dual sim phone this taken from my office at home
Now that looks more like what I am looking for. Thank you, I will give it a try.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Now that looks more like what I am looking for. Thank you, I will give it a try.
Am I right that is just gives the signal strength at the phone's location? Not the signal strength coming through the aerial as you change its direction, which is what you really need.

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Am I right that is just gives the signal strength at the phone's location? Not the signal strength coming through the aerial as you change its direction, which is what you really need.
Yes that right, I just use it to see who has the best signal. I think that if you want to see the what aerial is getting then you would need something on the router or a device that you can connect to aerial to see the results while adjusting

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
You are exactly right, it needs live info on signal strength, the same as sat finders and aerial tuners. So, do they not exist?

Geoff

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi more than likely some type spectrum analyser is required, if you use the MAP on the APP it will show which direction the nearest cell tower that the phone is connect to, the aerial that you have the XPOL-0001 is OmnI Directional not much more you can do

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You are exactly right, it needs live info on signal strength, the same as sat finders and aerial tuners. So, do they not exist?
Which TP-Link router is it? On the internal setup web pages they usually show the received signal strength. If the aerial is connected it will show the signal strength as the aerial is rotated. If the signal varies a lot with direction, either it is as DBK says incorrectly labelled, and is a directional aerial, or maybe a MIMO omnidirectional with one of the bits not functioning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Which TP-Link router is it? On the internal setup web pages they usually show the received signal strength. If the aerial is connected it will show the signal strength as the aerial is rotated. If the signal varies a lot with direction, either it is as DBK says incorrectly labelled, and is directional aerial, or maybe a MIMO omnidirectional with one of the bits not functioning.
The one I am trying to use is TP Link AC1200 dual band Archer MR600
When I use the router web pages, it does show signal strength, but it does not appear to be live data. It does not change as the antenna is rotated.
I can do a speed test at different rotations and compare the results, but it is a very drawn out process.
Perhaps I am missing something fundamental???
It would be good to be able to see the signal strength in real time as the antenna is rotated. The bar lights on the router are a waste of time as it shows 2 bars, even if the antenna is tucked inside under a pile of cushions.
Using the Huawei 5577 does give me a degree of live feedback, but requires the changing over of the sim card and antenna cables, which is a bit of a pain every time.

I do appreciate the feedback so far, from all of the contributors, thank you.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
This was the reply from Poynting when I asked the same question:
In order for it to "catch" the signal well, please ensure you mount the antenna in free space, or at the same side of the building on which the mast of your provider is. The purpose of the antenna is to provide a stable, reliable and consistent connection. The speeds you receive will differ as the network or more or less congested during the day. Alternatively, you might be located too far from the base station and a stronger antenna set up might be advices (e.g. 2 x OMNI-292).

They suggest sighting the antenna in free space, but supply four suction cups to stick it on a window???

Their reply was not too helpful, as they just suggest buying a more expensive antenna.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
no omnidirectional antenna is actually truly omnidirectional and the 4g (or 3g or 5g) signal will vary, since this is a motorhome forum I'm assuming the wifi / antenna is on/in a motorhome therefore what ever you do to get the best speed tonight may be complete wrong tomorrow.

The best method would be to use a speediest app on a mobile devise but make sure it shows "live speed" then have the app running in the MH and adjust the antenna (slowly) till you get the best available speed.

Its not a great method but it will do the trick.

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi I assume that aerial has SMA connectors you may be able us one of these on a laptop with the aerial, but unless you going to be at fixed location for a while you may not see any betters results, when I get a bad 4G signal I just get router to connect to 3G, I have one of the MIFI aerials from Motorhomewifi works fine

1629749997992.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If I had that problem, I think I'd drop-kick that TP-Link router into the canal and get a router that showed live signal strength.:giggle: All the ones I've used do that. Directional aerials give a better signal than the equivalent omnidirectional, but then it's all about how easily it can be set up when you move to a different site. I suppose this is why people prefer omni.

I had a directional TP-Link gadget that was attached to a pole, which slotted into brackets on the back of the MH. It had a router incorporated into it, and had signal strength LEDs on the display, visible as the pole was rotated. Too much trouble, I eventually got a good omni.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
no omnidirectional antenna is actually truly omnidirectional and the 4g (or 3g or 5g) signal will vary, since this is a motorhome forum I'm assuming the wifi / antenna is on/in a motorhome therefore what ever you do to get the best speed tonight may be complete wrong tomorrow.

The best method would be to use a speediest app on a mobile devise but make sure it shows "live speed" then have the app running in the MH and adjust the antenna (slowly) till you get the best available speed.

Its not a great method but it will do the trick.
Hi Boris 7

I tried a search for 'speediest app' and just came up with speed test apps. Do you actually know of one which will do as you describe? T hat is to show signal strength live as the antenna is rotated.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donkey
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
If I had that problem, I think I'd drop-kick that TP-Link router into the canal and get a router that showed live signal strength.:giggle: All the ones I've used do that. Directional aerials give a better signal than the equivalent omnidirectional, but then it's all about how easily it can be set up when you move to a different site. I suppose this is why people prefer omni.

I had a directional TP-Link gadget that was attached to a pole, which slotted into brackets on the back of the MH. It had a router incorporated into it, and had signal strength LEDs on the display, visible as the pole was rotated. Too much trouble, I eventually got a good omni.
Hi

You say you got a good omni, so what was it? According to the advertising blurb, they are all better than anyone elses.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi Geoff, the problem is that every time I do a speed test I get a different result depending on location and time of Day,
This morning at 9.00am 107mb down 40mb up, tonight same location 21.50 13.6 down 3.9 up. and when checking the mobile signal each time I look on the map I am on a different cell tower.

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Ookla

But any app will have a "slight" lag so go slow.

I work in the events industry and have had to do this a few times, its works but well but you have to make slow adjustments and the devise with the app needs to be as close as possible to where you'll be using the wifi most.

Upvote 0

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Hi Geoff, the problem is that every time I do a speed test I get a different result depending on location and time of Day,
This morning at 9.00am 107mb down 40mb up, tonight same location 21.50 13.6 down 3.9 up. and when checking the mobile signal each time I look on the map I am on a different cell tower.

Thats exactly the issue.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back