How to start driving a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Robert Houghton
As it happens a fellow motorhomer, he is a member of RVOC (FUNs sister site for American motorhomes) and has an HGV driving school and does training courses from a car & caravan up to full artic.
He's based in Leicester so not too far.

http://www.dataacademy.co.uk/

Thank you. I was trying to remember the place and name when I wrote my post.

I doubt that many men sign themselves up for courses. I wonder why some women don’t feel confident to drive even a small motorhome?
Possibly due to genetic factors regarding risk? When I was younger I was very cautious once the children came along now I am more likely to find an adventure interesting. Martin was less risk adverse when younger but now very cautious.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I was reluctant/ anxious with our first motorhome. I searched through and rang a few instructors and booked a two hour lesson. Instructor was owner of the driving school and didn’t do the lessons any longer but a camper van owner who was keen to this job!
I found myself on roads I’d hardly consider in the Car let alone the van and thoroughly enjoyed realising I was capable driver!
I messed up the parking, mind- in a stereotypical way- I totally misjudged the length reversing. That misjudgement stays with me as a query in my mind. Make sure she has a positive experience!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We've got a slight dilemma. We've got a 6.5 metre long x 3 metre tall motorhome that up until now I've always driven. I didn't have too much difficulty getting used to it as years ago my daily vehicle was a long wheelbase Transit panel van, but my wife has no such experience and her daily car is a Fiat Panda, so about as far removed from our motorhome as you could get.
She is very keen, but understandably quite anxious, as am I 😀, to drive the motorhome, but as we live in Birmingham there are no quiet roads or carparks anywhere near for her to have a go just to get the feel of it and so get some experience of judging the much bigger size and much more restricted visibility.
My question is, what do any of you think of the various motorhome driving courses that are advertised by the clubs etc. I can see they are a good idea in some ways, but it sounds as though a great deal of time is wasted in theory and instruction with only very limited actual driving experience often in fields, around a few cones. It seems very far removed from the "real world" driving experience that she actually needs.
I'm thinking might be better me just instructing her and getting her to perhaps park the motorhome up next time we are on a site or spacious cl, to get the initial feel of it and using the mirrors etc and then just gritting our teeth and getting her driving on the most suitable quiet roads we can find. I don't want to give her a fright and put her off though. How have other people got over this slight hurdle??
How long have you been married. Do you wish to stay married🤔just ring a local lgv.psv driving school and pay for a few refresher lessons no test no hassle no devorice 😁

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
I wish it was memory, she lives down the road from me. She also stores her Caravan and Motorhome in a friends yard.
We'll say it was memory too but not tell anyone 😉

Lovely lady and a great trainer too, put Irene at ease and gave her some great tips!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
We'll say it was memory too but not tell anyone 😉

Lovely lady and a great trainer too, put Irene at ease and gave her some great tips!
Yes Fliss is lovely, and has a great reputation. I'm not sure how the change in towing laws is going to effect her business, I'd guess 50% of her business is teaching towing.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
I doubt that many men sign themselves up for courses. I wonder why some women don’t feel confident to drive even a small motorhome?
I agree on the courses - I have absolutely no idea why anyone, male or female, would want to go on a course to drive a 6.5m van. It also seems pretty condescending to ask your wife to do one.

I was on a speed awareness course a few years ago (Ok, I'm going to claim it wasn't my fault I was there :whistle:), taken by a guy who gave advanced driving courses. At some point he told us that you didn't need to indicate left if you were at a junction and there was no-one behind you. I pointed out that you might be wrong in thinking there was no-one behind you, or there might be a cyclist there, and surely you should indicate anyway, just in case? Cue a 5 minute argument with an 'Advanced Driving Instructor'. Advanced in what, exactly?

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
I agree on the courses - I have absolutely no idea why anyone, male or female, would want to go on a course to drive a 6.5m van. It also seems pretty condescending to ask your wife to do one.

I was on a speed awareness course a few years ago (Ok, I'm going to claim it wasn't my fault I was there :whistle:), taken by a guy who gave advanced driving courses. At some point he told us that you didn't need to indicate left if you were at a junction and there was no-one behind you. I pointed out that you might be wrong in thinking there was no-one behind you, or there might be a cyclist there, and surely you should indicate anyway, just in case? Cue a 5 minute argument with an 'Advanced Driving Instructor'. Advanced in what, exactly?
Did the ADI not think about the pedestrian who might be waiting to cross, but who has no idea what the motorist is intending to do, because there's no indicator being used? I am a 1953 model, way before the Almighty started fitting ESP on the model range as standard ... ;) ADI - Absolute Duckhead Individual ...

Steve

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

If the instructor was a police instructor that is exactly what they teach.
Mirror, signal, manoeuvre.
Before you signal you should be fully aware of any other vehicle or person who might be affected by your upcoming manoeuvre. If there is no one there why do you need to signal?
Too many drivers don’t look but just signal and go without thinking or checking. Getting into the mirror, signal, manoeuvre habit makes you think first.

Many years ago my brother and I signed up for a Kent Police Better Driving course. It was excellent and I’ve never forgotten much of it.

Richard

OP
OP
Robert Houghton
Jan 4, 2018
Funster No
Thanks everyone for such an amazing amount of helpful input, all very much appreciated. My wife asked me to write the post and obviously has read all the posts, and while she was keen to get going before there's definitely no stopping her now!! 😀 Thanks again

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We both drive the van. We had the advantage of towing luggage trailers, trailer tent and caravans, before Motorhome. I find the van much easier than caravan. In fact I am now driving the van more than hubby.
After many years caravanning we did a caravan course with the CMHC and found it useful, especially the reversing practice. Yes there was theory we didn’t need, but it was good to get a refresher. I do think the advantage of doing a course is that someone neutral is doing the instruction, and you are well away from traffic. You are less likely to shout at each other!
I do believe that both parts of a couple should be able to drive the van, you never know when might be needed. You don’t want to HAVE to do it with the stress of an injured or ill partner.
It is certainly worth finding car parks, industrial estates etc to practice a bit.
Strange as it may seem, once she has more confidence, a bit of quiet motorway may be easier than ordinary roads. You can tuck yourself into the inside lane, there is room for others to pass, and no one coming the other way. Appreciate you may have go away from Birmingham motorways, but maybe M54? Even just from one service station to the next, or junction, provide you plan well.
I think it is more about confidence than anything else. Good luck and go for it!
I started on the motorway. Hubby pulled into a service station and we stopped, he talked me through it and away we went. Kept tucked in inside lane then got braver and started to overtake. Pulled in and out of next few service stations. Still not too confident on little roads but gives hubby a break on the larger roads/motorway. disclaimer- hubby is a calm quiet man might not work for all marriages:LOL:

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
The first barrier is probably the belief that driving a motorhome is physically harder or the controls are somehow harder to use than a car. Getting over that mental hump is tough.

Next is learning the size when driving on normal roads. That you've got to pay a bit more attention when positioning yourself in the lane. And learning to take it a bit easier as you can't corner as hard, brake as hard or accelerate as fast. This takes concentration, but in most places it's not too hard. It'll get you to 99% of places without issue. I think most people can do this once they get over the first issue.

The last one is the more difficult, partly because you don't need to do it that often. It's learning how to behave when the road is too narrow for vehicles to easily pass one another (which might even be a residential street with parked cars). Learning how to position the van when you need to manoeuvre and remembering to visually survey the area before you commit, because your visibility is much worse than a car. This one I'm still getting to grips with. I've done the NC500 in a PVC without trauma. But I feel like I'd need more practice before I did it in our new 2.3m wide a-class... Off to Cornwall next week, which will be fun.
There is also a potential issue with the female body dimensions. Ladies tend to be shorter than men [Elaine is some 17cm shorter], and, whilst this isn't a problem in 'the family car' which has enough adjustment and is small enough for everything to be within safe reach, the MoHo cab is not so accommodating.

The problems are not insurmountable, but they do/may need a little more time to build up the coping mechanism and the confidence/competence to both BE and FEEL safe.

It's always an anxious moment when I reach an angled junction, creating a blind spot on the nearside front quarter, and Elaine and her short arse legs are stretching to breaking point as she tries to lean far enough forwards and sidewards to see if the road is clear!

Steve

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Suggestion for you, hire a LWB Sprinter or equivalent for the day from someone like Northgate and practice away knowing you’re in no danger of ‘having a bump’ in your own vehicle. Invaluable experience to be gained around the streets of Brum.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Sometimes it’s best to just stop the van and say right it’s your time. Nice simple road… no prep no warning. Sometimes people over think
That's what my husband did about 10 miles from home on our first trip away with our first caravan. We always shared the driving and I did a few trips on my own with the kids. When he died I just carried on. First motorhome was a doddle after towing a 5 berth caravan with a big car.

I did the towing course with C&CC and found it very useful - but more for the loading and hitching up/unhitching stuff, as he'd always seen to that side of it, than the actual driving. Of course, you don't have to hitch up a motorhome (unless you tow a small car).

Best advice is to find a local driving instructor with large vehicle experience who will take her out for a few hours to build her confidence.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Hi this is the female of The Two of Us,Merilyn.
If it's any help Neil fitted a handbrake extender when I took over the driving and it's been a godsend.
As he said ill health has meant a loss of his driving licence and I'm not prepared to stop the life we love and never see the fantastic people we have met through Motorhome Fun.
To be honest I've found driving the van easier than some cars, just have to be aware of the overhang etc.
I'm sure she will be fine ( if you are a good passenger 🤐)
Give her my best wishes and if we pass on the road I'll give her a wave.x

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
We've got a slight dilemma. We've got a 6.5 metre long x 3 metre tall motorhome that up until now I've always driven. I didn't have too much difficulty getting used to it as years ago my daily vehicle was a long wheelbase Transit panel van, but my wife has no such experience and her daily car is a Fiat Panda, so about as far removed from our motorhome as you could get.
She is very keen, but understandably quite anxious, as am I 😀, to drive the motorhome, but as we live in Birmingham there are no quiet roads or carparks anywhere near for her to have a go just to get the feel of it and so get some experience of judging the much bigger size and much more restricted visibility.
My question is, what do any of you think of the various motorhome driving courses that are advertised by the clubs etc. I can see they are a good idea in some ways, but it sounds as though a great deal of time is wasted in theory and instruction with only very limited actual driving experience often in fields, around a few cones. It seems very far removed from the "real world" driving experience that she actually needs.
I'm thinking might be better me just instructing her and getting her to perhaps park the motorhome up next time we are on a site or spacious cl, to get the initial feel of it and using the mirrors etc and then just gritting our teeth and getting her driving on the most suitable quiet roads we can find. I don't want to give her a fright and put her off though. How have other people got over this slight hurdle??
We’ve been in the same situation. We caravanned for 40 years. I did do some towing but very, very little. We swapped to our Motorhome last year, and I am conscious that I need to help out with driving the Motorhome on long journeys. My other half says it’s easier than towing. With the storage box on the back it’s probably near 8 metres long. We live beside the busy A38 road in Gloucestershire. We waited for a late Sunday afternoon, then took it out to a suitable area, where we swapped seats. I then drove along the A38 past our house to a roundabout, came back to a lay-by near our home, swapped seats again so he could bring it onto the drive and park up. I was nervous, but realised once driving it, that because you’re higher up, you have good visibility and can see what’s behind using the rear view camera and large wing mirrors. Really enjoyed it, and will help out, next time we head off.

May 29, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest CV2
Exp
Recently bought my first van, a 6m CV20. I'm nearly 69. Nothing for it but jump in and drive. The thinking was more scary than the driving. Your wife will be over thinking and getting worried. I'm sure once she gets behind the wheel, she'll feel better. It's just a car but bigger. I concentrate on the width and forget the length. This is a problem with couples, the man does most of the driving whilst the woman loses her confidence. Tell her to pull up her big girl knickers and go for it. She can do it. Go girl!

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Ejaydee didn't your wife do one of these courses, would she recommend?
Hi Sue, yes she (and I) did the CAMC day manoeuvring course, really good fun. Seeing her reaction to the news she was going to be driving on the public roads, was priceless, she somehow thought it was all going to be on a field and private roads! 🙄

As I expected, she did very well and it increased her confidence enormously. Although being a seasoned driver, I learnt quite a bit too, I found I didn’t know as much as I thought I knew ☹️.

Aug 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
Murvi
Exp
Since 2017
Learning the width is the clever bit. On a road with a pavement on the near side get closer until the wheel is just dropping into the drains. Now you know the width. At the start of a run I do that just to refresh.

Mar 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
6yrs
I did a CMC motorhome course as I was over 60 and hadn't driven anything bigger that a car, it was a complete waste of time and money. We had a tour of the Elldis factory alot of general chat about Mhomes , a 10min individual drive with the instructor and 20min manoeuvring the van in a carpark. I got more experience just driving to and from the venue on my own. I'm sure an HGVcourse would be better.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Another viewpoint - Mrs E tried driving the moho once and hated it with a vengeance. I then realised that if I was incapacitated when away in it, she would be required to drive it home as she was named on the insurance. So I took her off the insurance. Now, if the worst happens, my insurer or breakdown service has to provide a driver to take it home. As I'm perfectly happy driving it, and she isn't, seemed the most practical solution.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I drove our first van just the once, decided that I would do the first drive on pick-up, and I was scared witless as every corner felt like we were going to fall over sideways - only a 5.4m van and it wasn't the length but the height which scared me. I drove the second one last year, another 5.4m and did a bit of normal, but quiet, road driving and it was ok. I'm not desperately keen but I know I can if needed to, if Mark was incapacitated or getting tired on a long run then I could help out. As I said to him, I'm the second driver not the co-driver otherwise he'll have to be helping out with making meals etc.
However, when we get our 6.4m next year (hopefully!) then I'll have to give it a go, at least round here the roads are quiet - except the A5 - and as long as I stay off the small twisty lanes then its a good place to practice.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My wife went on a Caravan club course and found it really good - they even taught her to parallel park our 9m motorhome (fortunately between cones and not real vehicles!) :giggle:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My wife was better at driving our 8m motorhome than I was. She was definitely better at reversing anyway .

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
Herself has driven in many different countries and many different vehicles over the years. Regrettably she is unable to drive the carthago as she has short little legs and is unable to operate the clutch.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Herself has driven in many different countries and many different vehicles over the years. Regrettably she is unable to drive the carthago as she has short little legs and is unable to operate the clutch.
My first wife was 4' 11 3/4" (she was very insistent upon mentioning the 3/4"). I fitted removable blocks to the pedals.
Or you could fit proprietary hand controls where needed.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
My first wife was 4' 11 3/4" (she was very insistent upon mentioning the 3/4"). I fitted removable blocks to the pedals.
Or you could fit proprietary hand controls where needed.
'Every little helps ...' and just think of the value of those 19mm when the water levels are rising! ;)

Steve

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The CMC manoeuvring course worked for us. Ours in LHD and 6.5 long x 2.3 mts wide so not huge.

Firstly I drove on a Sunday to a quiet industrial estate and Kim did some manoeuvring. Then later Kim drove to the CMC course and did the course. It was a basic course but did trick.

She now drives the MoHo on a regular basis so is very confident and competent. If for any reason I could not drive we are covered.

Hope this helps?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
My wife initially didn't want to drive MH then i had to remind her for 1st15 yrs or marriage she had to drive the cars and all hire vans as i was a real motorcyclist and didnt have a car licence. She'd also towed the traler tent. Her biggest problem is dealing with change, got a new car with 5 speed box , need a way to diplomatically say change into 5th, also required with 1st car with a 6 speed box. Still get where's 6th ( on a 5 speed). Her view is i can go on the courses then teach her, i am tollerant of the abuse. We started on dual carriageway, just getting used to size and location of things. After 4 hours of driving solo she found herself towing the up, no problemo. The one thing i have done purely for her is to fit a rear facing camera with a mirror mounted screen, she was unable to look down at the multimedia screen too used to looking up.
I occasionally have to crunch the gears to prevent her feeling too bad about her number of missed gears, but thats fine all down to her being a shortarse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back