How to start driving a motorhome? (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was taught how to pass a driving test to get my licence, just like most other people do. Then I was taught to drive and roadcraft by a police advanced driving instructor. Even then, I took lessons from a fire service instructor to drive bigger vehicles and off road. To add to that I had a couple of days tuition from an MOD advanced instructor on pursuit and evasive driving. All that varied tuition taught me that all vehicles have their own specific needs and despite very different sizes, all need proper concentration and if needed tuition to drive.

Brenda started driving age 7 on tractors towing trailers on the family farm. Driving large vehicles does not worry her and she is quite ok with the motorhome, although she rarely drives it

My suggestion is to get a few hours tuition, not from family members, who will all have their own bad driving habits

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Some years ago my late husband became ill while in Normandy in the middle if the night and was adamant about getting home before seeking help. I rarely had driven the van but basically, no choice. It was very traumatic. Although he really loved the driving, after that we made sure that I did drive some of the time.

Another point, if you are adamant that you aren’t going to drive it then make sure you’re not on the insurance. Otherwise if you’re in trouble the insurance comapny will insist you drive.

On a lighter note, I now have my own PVC and absolutely love driving it!

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I took my wife to the local industrial estate out of hours. She didn't like it. But did offer relief driving on motorway only which lasted a few years. Now I just get a NO!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I took my wife to the local industrial estate out of hours. She didn't like it. But did offer relief driving on motorway only which lasted a few years. Now I just get a NO!
'No'
'Can you be more succinct, please?'
'N' .... :LOL:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Before passing over control of the vehicle, check to ensure that the radio is switched off; 'cos Sod's Law dictates that, just as your wife/husband takes over, Bob Newhart starts his 'The Driving Instructor' monologue .... ;)

'Let me just familiarise myself with your notes, Mrs Brown. How fast were you going when your husband jumped out of the car?'
'70mph? Reversing in your driveway? At 70mph? And that's when your husband jumped from the car? ....' :LOL:

'Well, now, Mrs Brown, that was really my fault. When I said 'Turn Left', I just kinda assumed that you would do so at the next junction, and not onto this man's front lawn ... Sir, would you mind turning off the sprinkler? No, I agree, sir, it's not so goddam funny, and I am not laughing, really I'm not ....'

Steve

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I think the C&MC do motorhome driving courses.
Many years ago I did one of their caravan courses, even though I had been towing for years and have always been confident to jump into anything and drive it.
I found the one day course excellent and learned a lot. My caravan reversing skills were certainly improved.
I think, if you are a member, it would be a good choice.

Richard.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Ejaydee didn't your wife do one of these courses, would she recommend?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just to add Brenda had a couple of minor strokes a couple of years back, so no driving till cleared by the doctor. First she restarted driving her small car over short distances, then after a while we went out to a new forest carpark out of season. A few manoeuvres completed successfully and she drove the van home, making only a few minor errors. I waited till we got home to discuss the errors, being diplomatic. But overall she drove fine considering and now is back to her previous confident driving

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Some years ago my late husband became ill while in Normandy in the middle if the night and was adamant about getting home before seeking help. I rarely had driven the van but basically, no choice. It was very traumatic. Although he really loved the driving, after that we made sure that I did drive some of the time.

Another point, if you are adamant that you aren’t going to drive it then make sure you’re not on the insurance. Otherwise if you’re in trouble the insurance comapny will insist you drive.

On a lighter note, I now have my own PVC and absolutely love driving it!
I only have an auto licence so no way will I drive the motorhome so I am not on the insurance. Yes, it costs a bit more because of that but that's how it is.

Denise

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
My wife had never driven a bigger vehicle than a Fiesta.
We hired a car when we flew Aberdeen to rather than driving years ago.
We had ordered a Fiesta or Cleo. While sorting out the paperwork the guy said his colleague had brought the car round we turned round to see a rather big saloon.
When we got our 6m van she took to it pretty quickly.
She prefers driving the van to the car.
Once she gets used to the size and weight of it she will be fine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think the C&MC do motorhome driving courses.
Many years ago I did one of their caravan courses, even though I had been towing for years and have always been confident to jump into anything and drive it.
I found the one day course excellent and learned a lot. My caravan reversing skills were certainly improved.
I think, if you are a member, it would be a good choice.

Richard.
Wasn't there a youtube clip of one of their 'experienced' instructors make a total cock-up of driving a car and caravan up a grass slope and couldn't get going again.
Doesn't instill confidence.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Sometimes you have no choice. I had a minor stroke and the DVLA decided that I would not be driving anything in the near future. So it was a case of needs must and my good lady got in and drove it. I suggested going on the nearby motorway until she got a feel for it but she insisted on driving through built up areas where there would be cars parked on both sides of the road. As she said, she would have to do it some day so it may as well be now. BTW the other thing she said was that I should put a zip on me gob.
The motorhome is a 7.4m long manual gearbox, she’s used to driving a Kia Picanto automatic.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Wasn't there a youtube clip of one of their 'experienced' instructors make a total cock-up of driving a car and caravan up a grass slope and couldn't get going again.
Doesn't instill confidence.
I think that was the old chairman or president bloke when they did a series on the club on the telly and he stoves the back end of his van on a grass bank and then admitted all his smashed crockery was bone China

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I would get a professional in to do some instruction as it never really works with wife and hubby I know an ex met fire arms driving instructor who does 1 on 1 instruction and he and his wife used to have a contract to train Argos van drivers

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
We picked our brand new 6.5m motorhome up on a Friday, hubby drove it home from Walsall to Manchester. On the following Tuesday we went to Vanbitz in Taunton to have the alarm and tracker fitted. He pulled into Gloucester services and said it was my turn. I had never driven anything bigger than a standard family saloon. I did 50 miles on the M5, not having to think about corners, traffic lights, roundabouts etc and just concentrating on getting used to the size and driving position. The following Sunday he took me to a local industrial estate which had a roundabout at each end and side roads within the estate. I spent an hour just driving up and down, round the roundabouts and reversing. This was 4.5 years ago and I love driving it more than the car. Driving around narrow Cornish lanes at the moment.

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
My wife is about to go from a VW Up to a lwb Crafter with the maxi body. She's booked a days training with our local HGV school.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
You don't specify what make of van you have, but in my opinion, the biggest problem she is likely to encounter is NOT the size of the van but the Comfortmatic auto/manual gearbox, if that is what you have. It can take some getting used to.
Also, remembering the handbrake is beside the door and not in the centre of the cab.
There will probably be a lot of sharp intakes of breath (from you) and calm, considered driving from her, then after a few trips away you'll be fighting over the keys.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
You don't specify what make of van you have, but in my opinion, the biggest problem she is likely to encounter is NOT the size of the van but the Comfortmatic auto/manual gearbox, if that is what you have. It can take some getting used to.
Also, remembering the handbrake is beside the door and not in the centre of the cab.
There will probably be a lot of sharp intakes of breath (from you) and calm, considered driving from her, then after a few trips away you'll be fighting over the keys.
Also the handbrake needs arms like a giraffe's neck to release it fully [not seen the 'handbrake extender' that alleviates the problem]!

Steve

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Speaking as a woman my opinion is that there’s no difference between male and female drivers. There’s nothing that dictates that men should be in any way more adept at driving motorhomes than women.

My advice to your wife would be to not overthink things. Just get behind the wheel and drive… in much the same as any man would do.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
If you want a divorce,show her yourself. Otherwise get her to go on a course.
+1 My OH went on one of the Club courses and was very happy and confident after. We were able to find a very quiet area where she had driven a mile of so and done a reverse before the course, so if I were you I'd look for an HGV trainer with access to a large are first, then go for a Club course. Using independent trainers to begin with will be a wise investment.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
+1 My OH went on one of the Club courses and was very happy and confident after. We were able to find a very quiet area where she had driven a mile of so and done a reverse before the course, so if I were you I'd look for an HGV trainer with access to a large are first, then go for a Club course. Using independent trainers to begin with will be a wise investment.
I doubt that many men sign themselves up for courses. I wonder why some women don’t feel confident to drive even a small motorhome?

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Our relationship of 35 years (wife and I) is based on a clear ‘old school’ relationship, well certainly with most things. I’m happy to do the driving, based on I don’t want to do the cooking!!! 😎

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Our relationship of 35 years (wife and I) is based on a clear ‘old school’ relationship, well certainly with most things. I’m happy to do the driving, based on I don’t want to do the cooking!!! 😎
I can understand that, but there's a possibility that you are both missing out on undiscovered talents! Try role reversal sometime, you might find you enjoy it. ;)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I am a terrible passenger, I do all the driving, both in the MH and the car. Nothing to do with who is the better driver, it's who is the worst passenger. Himself goes the sleep as a passenger, whereas I'm on the edge of my seat. To be fair I drove for a living all my working life.
Even if the ladies out there don't want to drive the motorhomes they should be able to in case of emergency.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’ve driven ours twice now on roads (once in France) and once in a car park. The only problem I find is that Manic is too worried about position on the road and the fact it is a lefty!
They are big to drive after a car and you get a certain amount of ‘lean’/movement on roundabouts which to a newbie is a bit disconcerting!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
If she was more succinct it would just be..... "That silence"..... you know what I mean.
Certainly do! The silence that speaks a thousand words ... None of them polite, or, indeed, physically possible at my age :LOL:

Steve

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Speaking as a woman my opinion is that there’s no difference between male and female drivers. There’s nothing that dictates that men should be in any way more adept at driving motorhomes than women.

My advice to your wife would be to not overthink things. Just get behind the wheel and drive… in much the same as any man would do.
Totally agree. When driving a new to me vehicle for the first time I check the pedals are in the same place and that it has a steering wheel. So far I've not found one that hasn't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back