How to disconnect solar panel? (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I need to remove my leisure battery for reasons I won't bore you with. My electrical knowledge is what you might call "schoolboy level". Having searched the forum, it seems that I need to disconnect the solar panel before I remove the battery. The solar controller is a Schaudt LR1218.

The instruction manual contains the following , (translated from German?), cryptic reference:

"The output voltage of the charge regulator is not suitable for direct supply
without battery.
Malfunction of or damage to connected consumers:
1. Do not operate the solar charge regulator without a battery.
2. Disconnect connector ”Plus Solar module(s)” on the solar charge regulator before changing or removing
the battery
."

Does point 2 simply mean "Pull out the positive cable marked Solar from the controller"? And presumably tape it up after disconnecting it?

Any guidance appreciated.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Yes indeed. Just disconnect the cables that go from the solar panel to the controller, making sure that the ends can’t touch.

When reconnecting, you’ll usually need to connect the battery to the controller first, then the solar, in that order.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don’t disconnect when on load , cover it or disconnect at night.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I think it can damage the regulator
I have an isolation switch on my lead from panel to controller which I switch off when battery nearly full and in stowage even in full sun... never harmed regulator
Surely that is same as disconnecting leads from controller???

Upvote 1
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Why do you say that, when they specify positive? Or is that a joke I'm missing? ;)
Taking the +ve out leaves it dangling around and potentially coming into contact with an earth and sparking.
Removing the -ve makes it much more unlikely to come into accidental contact with the +ve.
That's how I've always understood it anyway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
So, hoping to do this today, but a question occurs. What happens after I disconnect the solar panel, remove battery and leave the panel disconnected? In any other situation I'd expect the disconnection to completely inactivate the circuit. With a solar panel, what happens to all the little electrons buzzing around the panel when sunlight hits it? Be gentle, I know bog all about electrics........

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Nothing happens if there is no circuit. The dance begins when you close the circuit.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
How crucial is that? It's not very practical on a storage site.
Not really necessary. A solar panel is not like a battery if it short-circuits. A battery can push out massive currents, enough to melt a wire and start a fire. A solar panel won't do that. You can read the maximum short circuit current from the label, it's not much more than the normal current. And this time of the year you'll be lucky to get enough to charge your phone.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back