How thick is your mattress? (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Thanks to those who made suggestions on where to source a new mattress. On measuring our old one I found it is 10cm thick. The thinnest of mattresses online seems to be 20cm and they get thicker. I will ask the company about weight of a new one, but other than potentially being heavier and more comfortable, is there any downside to a thicker mattress? Our storage is under the bed so it needs to be able to lift - would this be problematic? We can't try a new one out so will just have to make a decision. But it made me curious about how thick they generally are and can I increase the depth without causing problems?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Asked mine loads of questions and never got a correct answer :giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler:
So I guess it is really thick.
May be an idea to look up local foam suppliers and seeing what weight and density they have and get cut to size and shape.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be careful about buying a replacement mattress that is thicker, I seem to remember another funster did that and ended up either returning it or selling it on as it was too heavy for the bed mechanism, or them, to lift.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have just bought a new made to measure shaped mattress for the van. Not sure what shape size you want but we spoke to a couple of supplier specifically we found the 2 companies below very helpful.

Thickness was an issue we went with 17cm in the end but no need for a topper anymore and it just requires a thin protector. We could have gone down to 15cm. I think you could go thinner but we were specifically looking for a firm orthopedic mattress.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Be careful about buying a replacement mattress that is thicker, I seem to remember another funster did that and ended up either returning it or selling it on as it was too heavy for the bed mechanism, or them, to lift.
I think Haganap posted about buying a new mattress and then almost giving himself a hernia trying to raise the bed.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Our German one is 15cm. They claim it's memory foam. I'm not convinced but it does feel plenty comfortable.

OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
I think I will weigh ours and ask the company the weight of a new one to compare. 15cms might be the answer. One of the companies will do the thickness you want.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
My Chausson fixed bed motorhome had a 10cm thick mattress as standard.
This was appaulingly uncomfortable.
I replaced it with a 20cm thick custom mattress from Custom Sized Beds.
This means with memory foam pillows (heavy) the gas struts struggle to support it.
But I generally manage ok.
The bed will just about stay up with pillows removed.

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017

I used the above company, really quick, good price and helpful, they can bond together different materials if you want, just another option 🤷

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Custom Size Beds will do any thickness you specify from 7cm upwards I think. Their replacement mattress was the same thickness as the original (12cm) as I wanted to reduce problems with clearance above the bed. It worked out about 1kg heavier than the original even though it was the same thickness, etc.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Custom Size Beds will do any thickness you specify from 7cm upwards I think. Their replacement mattress was the same thickness as the original (12cm) as I wanted to reduce problems with clearance above the bed. It worked out about 1kg heavier than the original even though it was the same thickness, etc.
So your mattress was not only thick but dense too!

1592853413703.png

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
We put a made to measure Duvaley topper on our Chausson mattress and it's very comfy , the struts still support it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Be aware with some foam mattresses that they don't breathe and hold moisture. If the locker below is full of gear, you can end up with a mouldy mattress, which is extremely bad for your health

If your new mattress is heavier and the gas struts don't assist the lift, change the struts. SGS will make up stronger struts with the same dimensions and fixings

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
We went for a 20cm replacement and then upgraded the gas struts so we can lif the bed. However we do need to prop it if we need to leave it open.
Hth

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a duvalay on top of my mattress , it is on the drop-down bed. However the drop down bed stiil wants to rise up by itself unless the mattress is right at the edge, I thought the gas struts would drop off a bit in their enthusiasm but not yet, at least it stays up there when driving.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Thanks to those who made suggestions on where to source a new mattress. On measuring our old one I found it is 10cm thick. The thinnest of mattresses online seems to be 20cm and they get thicker. I will ask the company about weight of a new one, but other than potentially being heavier and more comfortable, is there any downside to a thicker mattress? Our storage is under the bed so it needs to be able to lift - would this be problematic? We can't try a new one out so will just have to make a decision. But it made me curious about how thick they generally are and can I increase the depth without causing problems?
It also depends what you mattress goes on to, we have found this <Broken link removed> in our Ayrs Rock really comfy although the Hymercar Free just has the wooden slats

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We've just replaced ours. We went with a 4" Reflex Firm foam with a 3" memory foam bonded on top and then wrapped. This was from https://www.acefoam.co.uk/

I sent the drawing over last Monday, quote back that afternoon, delivery on Wednesday. Been sleeping on it since and haven't slept so well in years. Should be even better once our Froli system is reinstalled.

This is what we ordered:
Mattress.jpg

Price was £335 delivered.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Duvalay make proper mattresses as well as toppers. When we decided our 12 year old mattress (also an OE Duvalay) was past it's best we went to them, despite there being several other manufacturers around offering cheaper alternatives. The replacement was exactly the same size as the original (they do have a range of different types) but turned out to be a lot lighter and just as comfortable, I believe through the use of modern materials, and just as comfortable. Of course how long it lasts remains to be seen.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fully sprung at 10 inches with a 2 inch Raskelf topper.

Can't feel that pea :D

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, here's a link to a thread ref mattresses - we've got a Froli spring system under our mattresses which are very good - it just means you can have a thinner mattress for payload etc.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Asked mine loads of questions and never got a correct answer :giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler::giggler:
So I guess it is really thick.
May be an idea to look up local foam suppliers and seeing what weight and density they have and get cut to size and shape.

Another vote for Custom Size Beds (customsizebeds.co.uk). I was getting backache from the original mattress in our Swift Sundance 630g so I bought a new one. This was way back in February 2017.

I have had a look through my old emails but couldn’t find size / price details but we got a good deal and the mattress is still like new.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back