bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What is the point of making wine if you don't drink it?????????????
I do TRY not to drink too much at one time------- it is supposed to be bad for my arthritis!!!!!!!!

Hope it's coming along nicely Nigel looking forward to sampling it. :LOL:

@JJ ;) How many Funsters are able to have a brilliant time... enjoy a wonderful night out... experience a totally excellent weekend...;) with a lovely wife that stopped drinking seven years ago and drives her drunken husband home. :LOL:
I think we had a conversation about this, :reel: and I decided not to drink the same thing every day,
Try not to mix drinks, and have say red wine one day, and maybe gin and tonic, then beer the following day.
:whistle:. Bob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am virtually tea-total ... I don't actually like the taste of alcohol (ie the background taste) so very, very rarely have anything and if I do it is very, very, VERY diluted with lemonade. In fact if I have Sangria it is diluted by 2/3rds lemonade! :D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you decide to give up the demon drink for any length of time, the perspective it gives you on society's relentless pressure to partake is fascinating.

It starts with the morning radio presenter banging on about the previous night's boozing with the rent-a-crowd in the studio and it rarely if ever lets up. Constant casual references to it on most media all day long until bedtime.

Recovering alcoholics must need nerves of steel to navigate the minefield - my respect to them.

Speaking for myself, I grew out of swilling endless weekend pints around the age of 22, and I don't drink socially. I can't ever remember doing anything useful whilst under the influence. My only uncle died from alcohol-induced liver failure and another family member is struggling with alcohol as I write.

If they made it illegal tomorrow I'd miss the taste of red wine but that's about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you decide to give up the demon drink for any length of time, the perspective it gives you on society's relentless pressure to partake is fascinating.

It starts with the morning radio presenter banging on about the previous night's boozing with the rent-a-crowd in the studio and it rarely if ever lets up. Constant casual references to it on most media all day long until bedtime.

Recovering alcoholics must need nerves of steel to navigate the minefield - my respect to them.

Speaking for myself, I grew out of swilling endless weekend pints around the age of 22, and I don't drink socially. I can't ever remember doing anything useful whilst under the influence. My only uncle died from alcohol-induced liver failure and another family member is struggling with alcohol as I write.

If they made it illegal tomorrow I'd miss the taste of red wine but that's about it.

I agree. How anyone who is a recovering alcoholic copes .. I can't imagine.

Every soap is based around a pub .. every programme seems to begin with visitors being asked, "Drink?" I'd say yes, cup of tea but that isn't what they mean. Even food programmes concentrate on which wine with which food .. to anyone out there who is on the band wagon and succeeding , you deserve a medal and admiration.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not drink very often, one glass of wine in the van after having a 'new year in' on a Spanish services. still have the rest in the fridge. Wifey does not go out as she is inhibited about being in company nowadays, so I don't either. Make for a very poor social life in that I don't have one.
I note a shows we hear an owful lot of inebriated Funsters having 'fun' and it normally ends when the security pulls the power and they all stagger passed us to go to bed.'
I am boring and lonely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
MEEEEEEE ! used too drive coaches, with stag and hen nights out on the drink, seen the state some get into ! Some night will take a drink and others nights just enjoy myself on soft drinks ! can sing and dance without it !!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We like wine with a meal and I like beer especially when its hot, the weather not the beer. I don't drink and drive, and haven't got drunk since I was a student (when it is obligatory).

Also I seem to recall, JJ, before his holier than thou moments, used to be keen on some Northern beer whose name escapes me at present. I bought him some at a rally once at his request and then we had an argument because I had lost the receipt and he insisted on paying for it even though I was happy to provide foc.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I enjoy a drink, been drunk too many times (Shell Island !)....not every time but...........it's who I am.............can't help it...................one bottle of wine is enough these days

..............and thanks to those who helped me home............I've done the same for others...........

................live and let live............hic

;)(y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Noticed that as I get older or more savvy maybe, that I cant drink just anything anymore. I cannot drink any form of Spirit thats clear in colour, although they are the most popular. I do like a single Malt Whisky, but hate Bourbon, hate and all blended whiskys except Famous Grouse as that has the Maccallan single malt in the blend.
The first sip of wine, red mostly, tells me if I can drink a glass with a meal, but some will often be left on the side as they certainly do not compliment the meal.
I do like a pint or two of real ale, freshly drawn at the pub, but we dont go to pubs much, just as well I guess.
My favourite tickle is a strong continental lager, ideally freshly drawn on holiday, but if needs must and all that ,then a couple of large pint bottles from the supermarket, nearly frozen out the fridge, then I will sleep well, but probably snore....or so I am told.:sleep:
TinaL is a wino, she will drink any white wine as long as its from South America, Likes a glass of red Merlot also, but must be Chilean, or Argentinian, but a bucket of White and she is off!:whistle:
Anyway, as she says to me at the SM check out, you have to buy 6 bottles of wine at once to get the 25% discount at Sainsburys, its false economy to buy any less.:rolleyes:
Theres always a bottle or two white wine in the car rolling around this time of year,(bloody annoying) the reason is I am told, oh! its for the raffle next Monday, or its stays nice & cold in the boot, or didn't have room in the fridge for them.
I am just worried about when she meets up with all those Hippy Chicks, on a funster rally,I dont know who will lead or follow, so I will keep quiet in the corner, and rise above it....as they say.
Cheers everyone.
Les

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
The simple answer is yes occassionally, completely dependant on the company of course ;) . But I have had many of my absolute favourite times ever when drinking and being around others that also enjoy a tipple.

Of course I’m not in denial about the downsides (both minor and large) and have seen them at their worse close up but we all have our vices and we all make our choices in life. :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Drink gives me a headache, a bottle of wine usually lasts us two a week and then it's German fruity wine that I find a bit more palatable. Having said that we have been buying it from the same supplier for more than 20 years after sampling some on a stand at the Ideal Home many years ago. And to answer @movan's question, unless it's a wine from a good vintage that's intended to be "laid down" for 20 years or more then it will deteriorate although, unless you sample it alongside the same wine bought recently, you may still enjoy it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The only definition I know of drinking too much is “drinking more than your Doctor”.

And that seems to give a lot of leeway.

Yes, we do have the odd glass of wine but try to keep consumption levels under control. We can enjoy life with, or without, booze. Perhaps it’s a no coincidence that the village of Boozeron is near us in France.

We go out drinking, well with dinner, with our doctor, old friend of Basia's, so it is amazing the figures that go down on my medical forms she fills in for me.;) - without me being present.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don't drink at all although Nick does, I have great fun out and about with Funster friends so I would say it's not necessary for me but perhaps it is for many people. I get the impression I'm in a minority at meets and in Benidorm.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This has developed into quite an interesting thread ....

I wouldn't want to stop anyone having fun ... if that entails having a drink then so be it, but the one thing I don't like is when those having a drink have a bit toooooo much and make it unpleasant for others, either drinkers or non-drinkers.

There's nothing worse than having someone around who has had too much to drink and doesn't see anything wrong with it ... IMV it is selfish.

So my 'request' is that anyone drinking has respect for those around them and knows when to stop so as not to cause upset etc.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I am very anti drink driving and tend not to even have half a pint if I am going to drive but when not driving I do enjoy a glass or two of nice red wine and occasionally a beer or even a spirit :)
As to getting drunk - did that (perhaps too often) when visiting ports whilst in the Navy don't do it now (couldn't put up with the hangovers!!!):cautious:

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
09.30 in the shop getting the local paper, a guy , slim built around 35yr old struggling to identify Lucozade on the shelf, I could not pass him he apologised and made his way to the till area. He leaned on the counter and I noticed him shaking? He straightened up that’s when I saw the Russian blend!! On his way out he stopped by the door opened the bottle and drank about a third of the Vodka. Four times he tried crossing the road to a waiting car.
First time I’ve seen that done? he actually ran across the road without dropping the lucozade bottle :Eeek:

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Since breaking my ankle just before Christmas, we’ve had very little “wife beater” in the fridge, so I’ve found out I can still be a grumpy twat without the need for beer.... but milk.. ice cold, refreshing ice cold milk. Can do two pints without stopping for breath. SWMBO has banned that as well, even though I’ve told her it’s good for your bones :):)
Revenge will be sweet ;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How many Funsters are able to have a brilliant time... enjoy a wonderful night out... experience a totally excellent weekend...

WITHOUT...

Copious quantities of BOOZE?

as you probably already know JJ .. I don't drink and yes, I enjoy my life much better since giving it up..

I have been an Alcoholic since as far back as I can remember.. probably since my first drink ..
I wrote about my journey and struggle with the drug on here some years ago, how I lost my job, my family, my respect and almost my sanity.. so not repeating.

all I will add is there is no such thing as a 'recovered' or 'recovering alcoholic' , there is no stage or state of being 'recovered' .

Today an alcoholic is either

a) sober
or
b) drunk

Today I am sober and have been for many years.. but still an alcoholic and will never be 'recovered'

Every day I face temptation, it is everywhere, it has become the 'social norm' to booze.. to go against a social norm can make you an outcast.

when you say you don't drink, you are looked on as being strange.. odd

Anyone else who is struggling with an alcohol addiction.. get help.. it's never too late.

It is not anything to be ashamed of, it's an illness just like cancer or any other killer disease , and it can be treated.. but there is no easy way.. abstinence is the only way.

The road to sobriety is littered with the corpses of those who have tried and failed.. I have personally known several people who tried, failed and died either in hospital or committed suicide.. too many, including two family members..

I enjoy life to the full without the need of alcohol or any other drug.. for that I am am truly grateful.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
as you probably already know JJ .. I don't drink and yes, I enjoy my life much better since giving it up..

I have been an Alcoholic since as far back as I can remember.. probably since my first drink ..
I wrote about my journey and struggle with the drug on here some years ago, how I lost my job, my family, my respect and almost my sanity.. so not repeating.

all I will add is there is no such thing as a 'recovered' or 'recovering alcoholic' , there is no stage or state of being 'recovered' .

Today an alcoholic is either

a) sober
or
b) drunk

Today I am sober and have been for many years.. but still an alcoholic and will never be 'recovered'

Every day I face temptation, it is everywhere, it has become the 'social norm' to booze.. to go against a social norm can make you an outcast.

when you say you don't drink, you are looked on as being strange.. odd

Anyone else who is struggling with an alcohol addiction.. get help.. it's never too late.

It is not anything to be ashamed of, it's an illness just like cancer or any other killer disease , and it can be treated.. but there is no easy way.. abstinence is the only way.

The road to sobriety is littered with the corpses of those who have tried and failed.. I have personally known several people who tried, failed and died either in hospital or committed suicide.. too many, including two family members..

I enjoy life to the full without the need of alcohol or any other drug.. for that I am am truly grateful.

Hi Jim!
Been waiting for your input since JJ started this thread, and always happy to see you posting on here as I have no time to go on FB!

Amicalement
Frankie(y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
This has developed into quite an interesting thread ....

I wouldn't want to stop anyone having fun ... if that entails having a drink then so be it, but the one thing I don't like is when those having a drink have a bit toooooo much and make it unpleasant for others, either drinkers or non-drinkers.

There's nothing worse than having someone around who has had too much to drink and doesn't see anything wrong with it ... IMV it is selfish.

So my 'request' is that anyone drinking has respect for those around them and knows when to stop so as not to cause upset etc.

Mmm Some men are quite fanciable ..... then they have a glass too many and the inappropriate remark turns me right off.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::wine::wine::wine::wine::wine::wine::wine:any one like a drink ray xx lol still lol I don't drink when I sleep :cheers:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have bottles of wine in my cupboards that are years and years old and don't want to take them on rallies in case I make anybody poorly ... does wine last forever?
Budget to moderately priced wines 2 years max even that can be pushing it, decent ones of a good vintage will often last for many years but you would need a deep wallet to buy them.

Less rattling with 3 or 5 litre boxes of wine and more economical too :)(y)
I find them very uneconomical, if we open a bottle it normally lasts 2 days, open a 3 litre box lucky if it lasts us 3 days :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At home I don't drink that much not had anything since wine with last Sundays dinner, I do go out for a couple of pints on a Friday with my mate when we are both around so that's not very often. Most of our social life these days is swing dancing we are out 2 or 3 times a week, most of the time I just drink water, alcohol doesn't go with fast dancing, there is one exception one club we go to once a month has very good real ale and often one on offer at £2 a pint ½ the price of the pubs, usally have 3 or 4 pints there.

In the van I'm a bad boy, once the handbrake is on out comes a beer then I can't eat a meal without wine. Can't wait to get down to Portugal get back to sampling their excelent reds, they appear to keep then all for themselves never find them anywhere else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back