How many days to travel to Spain? (1 Viewer)

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi all

With our motorhome arriving next week we have a 'shakedown' trip for 4 or so days followed by thoughts of a longer trip shortly afterwards.

The longer trip would, hopefully be to see some sun. (There hasn't been much here in the midlands for the last 8 weeks or so!).

We were thinking of heading to Eastern Spain (possible Peniscola way, as we have been around previously).

We only have a window of approx 6th -23rd Oct for this trip.

So first question:

If we take the Dover Calais option, arriving in Calais early afternoon - how many days would you feel is comfortable to get to Spain? We dont need to 'potter' on this outing, as the aim is to get some moderate warmth. So longer driving days would be OK.

Looking at taking a more westerly ferry, ie Portsmouth Caen, doesn't seem to save you much in time.

One final option might be to utilise Brittany Ferries via Santander / Bilabao for one of the legs and save a bit of slog through France.

What do you think? The long ferry route is going to cost an additional £350+ but would save approx 750 miles of driving / fuel / tolls etc.

If you think the BF option is best, does anyone have a discount code they could kindly share with us?

Many thanks - looking forward to your advice.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You can drive for as long as you can stay awake, but if you fall asleep and wreck your new van what have you gained ? Why rush wait till you can do it at a slower pace and enjoy it all

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We have come back from Spain in one day on a coach, but that was with two drivers and using tolls all the way which would cost you a fortune.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I reckon your idea of driving one way through France and using Brittany Ferries for the other, travelling from Bilbao or Santander to Portsmouth or Plymouth, is probably a sensible idea.

Or you could investigate whether going BF in both directions would really break the bank - it could be a good way to get the most out of the limited time you've got available.

Good luck with your new van in any case and have a great trip whichever way you decide to do it! (y)

Just to add, me and Mrs mikebeaches are past our mid-sixties, and we prefer to limit a day's driving to about 200-250 miles; taking it in turns - each doing 60-90 minutes at a time. Obviously could go further and spend more of the day behind the wheel - but that's not what we've got our van for. Clearly, if you're young and fit you could aim to cover much more ground. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We just went down from Caen to Just south of Cambrills in 4 days comfortably. One stop just south of Tours, followed by Userche, St Clar across Pyrenees at Vaella and a final Camperstop off the N-230 north of Lleida. Quite a leisurely pace as we don't rush about :)

Upvote 0

Deleted User
BF to Bilbao for me every time especially with such a short timescale, one way could be a good option we have done that in the past. I have sent you a PM (conversation) with a code if you decide on that route.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Depends how much driving you want to do. I went that way earlier in the year and worked out it was £440 for fuel and tolls to the Spanish French border at Irun (Tolls and fuel approx equal in cost), which may help in comparing costs with Bilbao. On that particular occasion I drove non stop, however, obviously would not have done had I been on holiday, and it was therefore quicker than the ferry. I was in a 6m PVC and fuel and toll costs may not be the same for your van. On holiday, such as yourself, and accepting you don't need to potter, I would still allow 3 days to get down to eg Benidorm. That would still be longish driving days and just an evening camp, no real sightseeing, it would however, remove the feeling you are never going to get there. Take any longer and you may as well take a week over it stopping here and there to take in the sights and enjoying yourself.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for the replies so far!
I think one way on BF seems the best idea.
Matmoros, many thanks for the code - most welcome and will probably swing me to booking BF!

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We did Cité Europe (Eurotunnel) to Benidorm (La Toretta) with three night stops stopping for an hour each day for lunch

Cité Europe - Roullet Saint Estephe Aire
442 miles, 11 hours tolls €12.20 on A20
Stop at Marboué if you want to add a stop (250 miles)

Roullet Saint Estephe - Carinena truckstop 401 miles 9 hours tolls €51

Carinena - Benidorm 275 miles 5.5 hours €16.50 in tolls

You can obviously do the whole route toll free or just part @tonka has a route in the resources section and has probably done the route more than most.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We did Cité Europe (Eurotunnel) to Benidorm (La Toretta) with three night stops stopping for an hour each day for lunch

Cité Europe - Roullet Saint Estephe Aire
442 miles, 11 hours tolls €12.20 on A20
Stop at Marboué if you want to add a stop (250 miles)

Roullet Saint Estephe - Carinena truckstop 401 miles 9 hours tolls €51

Carinena - Benidorm 275 miles 5.5 hours €16.50 in tolls

You can obviously do the whole route toll free or just part @tonka has a route in the resources section and has probably done the route more than most.
Yes we did roughly the same. It was very tiring because it was January and icy and foggy but 3 nights/ 4 days is a good estimate if you dont stop for sightseeing

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Use the ferry to Spain it will be so much more relaxing. We drive down to Barcelona regularly 2 or 3 times a year it takes 2 night stops in France and for you going further south probably 3 night stops before reaching Peniscola...oh plus long driving days. Much better using BF to Spain ...though the drive through France is always enjoyable as the campsites are so lovely.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you have two drivers then a day comfortably, if not then you will be tired by the time you arrive. This part of Spain in not guaranteed to be hot though. If you want a short hot spell then best to jump on a plain for a few hours find yourself a sun bed and slap the lotion on :cool::)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
An update!

BF booked for the downward journey (Thanks Matamoros).

Only downside it is the Cap Finistere, but hey oh!

Arrives at 17:30 local time, so first night will probably be Cabarceno. Is this the Elephant Aire people often mention.

Thoughts on other stopping places on the way to Peniscola would be well received.

Thanks for your help with us newbies!

Dean & Rachel

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've travelled on the Cap Finistere and thought it was fine, not as plush as Pont Aven but I thought the beds were more comfortable on Cap Finistere. Have a lovely trip.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you follow the route in the links below, you can arrive at Peniscola in 4 days.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many location’s. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs).

Approaching Tours on the D910, join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road. (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63.

A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls.

This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic sea which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the roads are quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing the roads.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river.

You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

As for stop overs along this route, should you choose to use it in the future, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe.

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps App and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Deleted User
An update!

BF booked for the downward journey (Thanks Matamoros).

Only downside it is the Cap Finistere, but hey oh!

Arrives at 17:30 local time, so first night will probably be Cabarceno. Is this the Elephant Aire people often mention.

Thoughts on other stopping places on the way to Peniscola would be well received.

Thanks for your help with us newbies!

Dean & Rachel

We've travelled on the Cap Finistere and thought it was fine, not as plush as Pont Aven but I thought the beds were more comfortable on Cap Finistere. Have a lovely trip.

I also rate the Cap Finistere good, it does not have the self service cafeteria but other options are available. Microwaveable meals are available in one of the shops so microwaves are available, take your own meals on board and use their microwaves.

The cabins are good and if it is rough I have not noticed any difference from the Pont Aven, we are both bad sailors so if there is even a decent swell we retire to our beds on either boat!

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Depends how much driving you want to do. I went that way earlier in the year and worked out it was £440 for fuel and tolls to the Spanish French border at Irun (Tolls and fuel approx equal in cost), which may help in comparing costs with Bilbao. On that particular occasion I drove non stop, however, obviously would not have done had I been on holiday, and it was therefore quicker than the ferry. I was in a 6m PVC and fuel and toll costs may not be the same for your van. On holiday, such as yourself, and accepting you don't need to potter, I would still allow 3 days to get down to eg Benidorm. That would still be longish driving days and just an evening camp, no real sightseeing, it would however, remove the feeling you are never going to get there. Take any longer and you may as well take a week over it stopping here and there to take in the sights and enjoying yourself.
Am I reading your post correctly ?£440 from Calais to Irun. That is exceptional. I do the same journey using mostly motorway/duel carriageway and my fuel costs in a 3.1/2 T 2.3 Lts motorhome works out at around €120. and around €10.00 euros in toll fares. Compared against BF the cost saving is huge although I do accept people are free to choose whatever route they want.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Am I reading your post correctly ?£440 from Calais to Irun. That is exceptional. I do the same journey using mostly motorway/duel carriageway and my fuel costs in a 3.1/2 T 2.3 Lts motorhome works out at around €120. and around €10.00 euros in toll fares. Compared against BF the cost saving is huge although I do accept people are free to choose whatever route they want.
The cost is for the return journey, It worked out at about £220 for fuel, think exchange rate was 1.09, motorway fuel somewhere around 1.35, and because I was in a hurry I used toll roads all the way down and the bill when it came through at the applicable exchange rate was approx £220 for the French toll road sections between Calais and Spain. Don't know how you do the tolls for 10e, you obviously use non toll roads. In my case I wanted to be in Portugal in 24 hours and therefore had no choice.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The cost is for the return journey, It worked out at about £220 for fuel, think exchange rate was 1.09, motorway fuel somewhere around 1.35, and because I was in a hurry I used toll roads all the way down and the bill when it came through at the applicable exchange rate was approx £220 for the French toll road sections between Calais and Spain. Don't know how you do the tolls for 10e, you obviously use non toll roads. In my case I wanted to be in Portugal in 24 hours and therefore had no choice.
Thanks for that! Your original post made no mention of return journey and it now makes sense. The route I use is as stated in my first post. I pay a toll fare to get through the city of Tours and the last 3 toll booths at the bottom of the A63 Toll road. Apart from around 100 K my whole journey to the Spanish boarder is on motorway or dual carriageway.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
No problem, I was merely trying to show the question was pretty open ended, you can do it in one day, 4 days or take a month over it. IMHO 3 nights is very comfortable if Spain is the main objective, if touring you can take 2 weeks each way and have a great time, or indeed you can do it in one 24 hour slog, not really what motorhoming is all about though. Taking your time down there just sensibly using the toll to get around Tours sounds perfect to me.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Brittany Ferries every time.

I have a BF code for me Friends who also use this route, often.

Driving through France without holidaying or enjoying the Stopovers can be a bit stressful and expensive. Great if you have the time to take in some nice aires.

Bilbao/Santander is easy to the med, some say boring. But we have many great stopovers if we are in the MoHo. In the car its straight to our house. You also Avoid Barcelona. But if you drive through Sagunto/Sagunt, beware of highwaymen.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Usually go through France and back via Santander or Bilbao. Because of time constraints we are doing a return Plymouth to Santander.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back