How do my Hymer wing mirrors swing in? (1 Viewer)

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Can any Hymer owners tell me how the wing mirrors swing in to narrow the width of the vehicle please? They appear to be solid and have probably been tightened up to stop them moving in the wind or when vibrating with road conditions but I need to swing them in to get the van up a tight drive. I think there is a bolt up at the bottom of the hinge spindle where it is fixed to the van. If I loosen this off do I have to retighten it solid to drive after adjusting? In addition, how do you move the mirrors on the arms after moving the arms inwards? I really want to move the arms closer to the van and then adjust the mirrors on the new arm positions. Pics attached:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2001.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2002.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don`t think they can be swung in easily to reduce width when needed unless you left the fixing bolts loose. I dismantled mine to Hammerite the steel arm and removed them at the time with allen keys I think.
You could loosen them off and move the arm in and tighten so it`s closer to the bodywork but that won`t make that much difference really.
I fixed mine less tight than I could have done in the hope that they would fold in on impact with another vehicle, rather than rip out the fixings or damage body work, but not vibrate when driving.
Not had to test that idea yet so no idea if it would work

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There is a cover on the front of the large mirror in photo, this prises off to reveal four allen key fixings. Not sure about the small mirror but probably the same.
Then there are four fixings on the bodywork bracket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Could be the bottom bracket suffering with 'plastic stick'. Try a bit of WD 40 on the bracket that secures the lot to the door, then try flexing back and forwards. There may be a spring and ball which allows the whole cluster to swing parallel to the body, so be careful if you decide to loosen the bottom clamp. If the WD does not work, just slacken the clamp a little at a time, until the lot bends in. It should re-locate with a 'click' when you move it to the open position again.

OP
OP
XRN

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Excellent, thanks for the replies @Figaro & @Tootles I will give both of your suggestions a go when I get a day without rain!!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The mirror should swing in, as you start tuning it , it should push itself done against a spring, due to the shape of the dogs that hold it in position.
The ally tends to seize and when you turn it and then back it could be wobbly and that's because the screw at the bottom un-does.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back