House central heating when away (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
what do you have your central heating set on and for how long each day when you are away . I was struggling with this one don’t want to heat the house for 3 months but I don’t want to leave unheated in winter. What does every one suggest ?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I’d suggest that you leave the heating on permenantly with the thermostat set at 15 degrees. It won’t cost anything to run unless the internal temperature drops below that number.

Leave all internal door open, so the heat can circulate.

To be extra safe, if you’ve got pipework or tanks in the loft, leave the loft hatch open. Houses are often so well insulated now that no heat leaks into the roof void which can mean literally below freezing temperatures in the loft even though you’re sat in the lounge toasty warm.

It might pay you to ask your insurance company for their recommendations- that way if you comply and you do have a burst pipe, they shouldn’t squeal about you not taking the right precautions.

Burst pipes are something I really fear, I worked in the insurance industry for many years and the devastation mains pressure water leaking into a house can cause has to be seen to be believed. I’d not wish it on my worst enemy !

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My Insurance co.demanded that I set the central heating to be set at 15 c and a failure to do so would render the cover void ,Oh and they also wanted the loft door to be permanently left open which was a bit silly because there are no pipes in my loft .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As per above though my default setting is 14C. We don't switch our heating off at all year round, simply rely on the thermostat to keep the house at a comfortable temperature.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a 'Nest' smart thermostat system with our oil boiler, which is a Google product. Seems to work well so far. We can see the internal temperature in the house at anytime on our phones, and adjust the heating remotely as necessary. It saves a fortune over leaving the heating on all the time while we're abroad. And we can get the house warmed up just prior to our return.

https://nest.com/uk/

I think it was about £250 installed, when it was fitted in April. We'd had a scare with the 'beast from the east' at the beginning of March, and so got on with the job. Makes the whole system much more efficient when we are at home too.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It might pay you to ask your insurance company for their recommendations- that way if you comply and you do have a burst pipe, they shouldn’t squeal about you not taking the right precautions.
It might not as well.
I would expect there's very few, if any, insurers will allow you to be away from home anywhere near that long, 3 months, and leave the house unattended.

Never been away that long so only assuming.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Some great ideas thanks a lot ,I guess I will just leave it like it is but turn the heating down a bit . The house won’t be empty all the time my sons will stopping when it suits them so they can turn it up when they are here. Thanks again (y)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
It might not as well.
I would expect there's very few, if any, insurers will allow you to be away from home anywhere near that long, 3 months, and leave the house unattended.

Indeed re the 3 months. I’d assumed that part had already been sorted :whistle2:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
This one does all including 'holiday mode' - I have it set to switch on a couple days before we are back.

Amazon product ASIN B003DTROQ8

• 41tLzoUOS9L.jpg
Click to open expanded view

Honeywell CMT907A1041 7-Day Programmable Hard Wired Room Stat

by Honeywell

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a nest I switch it to Eco mode with the temp set to 12°, depending how cold it is I turn the heating on remotely a day or two befoe getting home. I installed my Nest myself paid under £150 for it.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Can I ask what happens if there is a power cut? We insure ours for the time we are away, insurers are aware. We drain down the hot and cold water system, including the tank in the roof, put anti-freeze in central heating system and turn the main stopcock of in the street, leave all taps open and turn all the power off. No freeze up for us.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can I ask what happens if there is a power cut? We insure ours for the time we are away, insurers are aware. We drain down the hot and cold water system, including the tank in the roof, put anti-freeze in central heating system and turn the main stopcock of in the street, leave all taps open and turn all the power off. No freeze up for us.
I think that would be there requirement if empty that long

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s still a surprise when we go away fora week or 2 in winter not even snow , just how much the house cools down. It takes a couple of days to start feeling warm, the walls just seem cold. The walls must hold more heat then we realise.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It might not as well.

There are a number of insurance company's out there who will provide this level of cover. Many do 60 days as standard and then you pay a little extra for the remaining days. There is usually a caveat added to that, some one to visit the house on a regular basis, clear the mail etc. and the central heating to have frost protection on. We find having the frost protection set to about 8 Deg, provides adequate protection and has never been activated in the last 5 years, primarily due to good insulation.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
This one does all including 'holiday mode' - I have it set to switch on a couple days before we are back.

Amazon product ASIN B003DTROQ8

Honeywell CMT907A1041 7-Day Programmable Hard Wired Room Stat

by Honeywell

We have 4 of these for different parts of the bungalow (its a big place!). The holiday feature will also keep the temperature at a set low until you return and then puts the heating back on to normal running. Ours are set to come on at 10 degrees on the holiday mode. You don't need to set it to come on a couple of days before you return as it automatically goes back to normal a day before. Its worth reading the handbook! (You can download it if you've lost it.) :xlaugh:

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990

A regular occurrence for us. The last one was 20+ hours in the middle of winter. The house cools down but nowhere near to freezing.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Another vote for Nest; I spend around 2 months in Spain March/April and October/November. I can check the temperature inside and outside the house from my phone or tablet and adjust from the minimum of 10C that I program in.

Proved a godsend whilst away this time as it alerted me to the fact that there had been a power failure on the circuit which controlled the heating and freezers. I was a blot get neighbour/family round to ascertain the cause of the problem, turned out to be a tube heater in the greenhouse which was faulty. Without that notification I would have returned to thawed freezers and possibly a frozen house. Also have the camera which notifies me as soon as anyone enters the house.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm with Churchill ,upto 180 days no extra cost.
If away more that 60 days , heating set at 15 degrees,someone to visit at least every 7days and stopcock off in the street.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours set at the frost setting. Neighbour comes in daily to sort post and check on things. We ring him a day or two before returning and he puts the heating back to the normal program.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As per above though my default setting is 14C. We don't switch our heating off at all year round, simply rely on the thermostat to keep the house at a comfortable temperature.
I do that too. I drop it to 15 degrees if we're away but it's always on. Mains water turned off at the stopcock mainly because my washing machine shut off cocks are inconveniently located.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I turn the water off at the mains leave all taps open flush the toilet and leave the programmable room stats (2) just above frost setting 7degrees and have had no problems the last 6 years, the boiler also as a built in frost stat.
I’m a retired heating engineer.

John.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Would they insist on some oil filled electric radiator being on a thermostat left on ?
many people state that if you do that in the motorhome they categorically state it will not be insured in the event of an accident so I can't see how they could ask.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
many people state that if you do that in the motorhome they categorically state it will not be insured in the event of an accident so I can't see how they could ask.
I suspect household insurance covers appropriately certified electric heating appliances.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Some advice needed from our resident heating experts, please :)

I have an old fashioned back boiler and radiators with no thermostat other than a knob with numbers on under the gas fire.

When I go travelling in colder months, I turn off the water and heating.

A while ago, one of the radiators sprung a leak and I am worried about leaving the heating on with the water off, the system running dry and the boiler exploding.

Am I right to worry?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back